PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Carr at Headley Court on C4

ExRAFRadar
23rd Aug 2012, 18:56
Anyone just catch this.

Captain Nick Beighton, RE, Head Injury, shattered pelvis, lost legs.

In the Paralympics rowing team.

"It's like when you come here, you've only lost 1 leg, it's a scratch, it's pathetic really." Said with a smile.

Not Aircrew I know, but........

:D:D:D

SOSL
24th Aug 2012, 09:53
Didn't catch it myself but, having spent 3 months at RAF Headley Court in 1973, I can't speak too highly of both the staff and "patients" in the MOD rehab system. Now centered on Chessington.

When I say "staff" I mean not only the doctors, remedial gymnasts, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, but also all the ordinary boys and girls who had been posted in, as on any RAF station, to run the mess, the supply sqn and the MT section etc. They were fantastic.

The patients were amazing. A RAF Fg Off turned up there one afternoon and was allocated a room on the 2nd floor by the mess receptionist. He had a large, heavy suitcase and only one leg. He sat on the first stair, pulled his suitcase up and then wiggled himself onto the second stair and carried on till he got to the 2nd floor and found his room. I know about this because he told us in the bar that evening.

The quote in your post captures the spirit of the Parallel Olympics as originally played at Stoke Mandeville. Much respect

Rgds SOS

air pig
24th Aug 2012, 11:15
Shows the totally different mindset between the military and civilian worlds. Military, pick yourself up metaphorically speaking, dust yourself off and crack on. Many civilians don't have that attitude to life and it's travails.

All the best of luck to those going through the rehab system.

SOSL
24th Aug 2012, 12:55
One of the remedial gymnasts (I hope he doesn't mind me giving his name away- it was along time ago) was called (Sgt) Pete Miles and he pumped iron all day when he wasn't looking after us, so he was seriously muscled. We called him Meat Piles (Courtesy of Dr Spooner).

Rgds SOS

Shack37
24th Aug 2012, 14:50
Being unaware of the reason behind this thread I Googled "JC at Headley Court" and was totally unsurprised at the motive behind his "remorse". It's nothing more than an attempt to recover what he sees as possible lost revenue.

I hope he can make a real contribution to helping injured servicemen and women even if it is from motives of personal gain.

Wrathmonk
24th Aug 2012, 15:53
His throw away lines didn't go down quite "so well" in 2009....

Clicky (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1222917/Soldiers-join-outcry-Jimmy-Carrs-sick-amputee-joke.html)

Sir George Cayley
24th Aug 2012, 16:20
Many years ago I saw a program about the Falklands War. A squaddie remembered a terrible incident with the correct sense of humour only people that fight and die together can use.

An Argentine mortar round landed amongst his platoon killing and maiming.

As one of the lads was stretchered off he said "I've lost me legs" to which one of the bearers said "No you haven't mate they're over there".

Humour, but not as we know it.

SGC

muppetofthenorth
24th Aug 2012, 16:22
It's nothing more than an attempt to recover what he sees as possible lost revenue.

I hope he can make a real contribution to helping injured servicemen and women even if it is from motives of personal gain.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

At least he's trying to rectify it. You'd moan just as much if he sat at home doing nothing.

newt
24th Aug 2012, 21:40
Maybe he just feels guilty! If he and many others contributed to the tax revenue as we all do, then maybe we would not need charities to support the guys we send to fight wars the rest of us recognise as futile!

I wait to see what other PR scams he comes up with to maintain his so called celebrity status!

The rest is :mad::mad::mad:

Avtur
24th Aug 2012, 22:28
Why do we need dicks like him to advertise what we know already?

Go away and hoard your fortune eldsewhere and stop parasiting off the heros in this world. Or try donating some money to these institutions as a means of offseting yoiur tax.

cokecan
25th Aug 2012, 10:03
Wrathmonk.

the joke went down very well on Arrse, most of the people i know thought it was funny - only the whinging Daily Hate and the cretins found it offensive.

Wizzard
25th Aug 2012, 11:38
His original joke was funny - very funny, but then I'm gifted with a sick soldier's sense of humour.

I'm amazed that people will pay money to go to see a stand-up comedian that they have seen on the TV to be "near the knuckle" and then complain when he come out with the kind of stuff they've paid to see!

I admit that I found his live show a bit too lewd but then again I'm getting on in years so it's my problem - not his.

anotherthing
25th Aug 2012, 13:40
...If he and many others contributed to the tax revenue as we all do, then maybe we would not need charities...3 things:

1. He does pay tax, however he also found a way of getting out of paying some tax on some of his money - If you earned enough and you could find legal ways of doing so, I'm sure you would... I know I would.

2. What makes you think that HMG would put more money into looking after Service Personnel if they received more in taxes? It would probably be wasted on quango's and other money pits that succesive governments manage to find.

3. Bit of a hijack but if there was one flat rate of tax,I personally believe less people would be inclined to try to dodge paying. Why should anyone pay proportionally more just because they earn more?

Runaway Gun
25th Aug 2012, 18:00
Jimmy Carr has always been a huge supporter of the military, especially the injured. His 2009 joke was not insensitive, it was a simple fact that actually sounded funny. This is not a sudden 'fixup attempt'. The guy's a good'un.