PDA

View Full Version : Current hecs-help information?

flying55
23rd Aug 2012, 09:38
Does anyone know the current hecs-help assisstance offers available to aspiring pilots?
Which universities offer this for a student to gain a cpl?
Any other info would be appreciated.

damo1089
23rd Aug 2012, 10:07
Look for non uni affiliated flight schools that offer diplomas with VET-FEE help, you'll get it done faster, cheaper and it will be less of power hungry people selling pilots in a human grocery store. A quick Google search will deliver those results.

If you want a degree then I think Swinburne and Griffith are you choices.

AmarokGTI
23rd Aug 2012, 12:24
FTA offers vet fee

Suthy1320
23rd Aug 2012, 12:39
Edith Cowan University in Perth offers a degree with flying done through fee-help. It has everything up to ME-CIR. They used to contract to Singapore Flying College but now they are using ACFT at Jandakot.

Seabreeze
24th Aug 2012, 00:48
The UNSW Aviation website has a new concurrent program of Bachelor of Aviation (Management) and Graduate Diploma in flying. I guess HECS loans will cover some of the fees and Fee-Help loans some of the flying fees.

SB

flying55
24th Aug 2012, 20:42
Can the course cost be covered under hecs? Just can't use hecs for the flight training?

Seabreeze
25th Aug 2012, 02:26
The government, in their infinite wisdom, do not allow hecs to cover flying training for undergraduate degrees.

The work around is then either:

1. use VET Fee-Help from the VET or TAFE sector (but watch out for the costs of the loan)
OR
2. use Fee-Help which is available for university approved Postgraduate courses such as a Graduate Diploma or Graduate Certificate

I looked into the Fee-Help thingo at one stage and there is a lifetime max loan of up to about $87K . You have to pay it back when your income exceeds some limit and it is recouped by the ATO in the same way as Hecs

'tis all explained at
Welcome - Study Assist (http://studyassist.gov.au)

flying55
25th Aug 2012, 21:21
what is the difference between the cost of a loan and interest?

mcgrath50
25th Aug 2012, 23:56
The loan if received through a post grad course costs nothing (although fee-help courses are usually more expensive). The loan is indexed to CPI so usually goes up about 3% per year at the moment.

Try finding a loan for 3%.

propelled
27th Aug 2012, 10:07
This is an option i'd like to look more into..

I have a CPL, but need to get my MECIR very soon..

Am not ready with the $$$ to complete it right now on my own.. so do I just wait and save the $$$ and choose my own school to get this rating, or take advantage of using the govt's $$$ and get it done but at a slightly higher cost and at a very limited choice of flight schools..
would like to hear from guys who have any feedback on this..
from what I have seen so far, the options for usint vet-fee-help are only FTA, RVAC, and TVAC.
I'm still leaning towards just holding off and paying for it and choosing my own school and being in charge of the situation if you know what i mean.. but if there are any positive outcomes from going down the vet fee help route i'd like to hear..
cheers

Ben87r
13th Dec 2012, 16:05
Ive just signed up to FTA for their VET-FEE course and as i understand it you need to complete the advanced diploma course to receive any funding and which lands you MECIR and ATPL. I dont think you can just use the VET FEE to fund training for certain parts of the course