PDA

View Full Version : KLM Flying Blue

750XL
21st Aug 2012, 23:09
Quick question...

If I book and pay for my partners flights with KLM, can I claim the miles under my name (she doesn't have a Flying Blue Account).

Tried looking at FAQs etc but couldn't see it.

Tableview
21st Aug 2012, 23:17
No. It would open up all sorts of possibilities for abuse and dishonesty - I'm not suggesting that you would be trying to do this, but many people would.

750XL
21st Aug 2012, 23:19
Thanks for the reply :ok:

Tableview
21st Aug 2012, 23:25
2.7 The Member must actually travel to earn Level and Award Miles. Level and Award Miles will not be awarded on unused, forfeited, fraudulent, lost, out-of-date or refunded tickets. The Member can earn Level and Award Miles solely for the flight flown by the Member personally, even if the Member purchases tickets for other people or purchases several seats on the same flight.

It is in the Ts & Cs. (I just happened to know where to look as I had to use this to settle a dispute recently!)

PhineasC
22nd Aug 2012, 07:14
This is an answer to a different question, but it might help with BA you can give miles, but not tier points to another card holder. I had a quick hunt around the KLM site but couldn't find anything

jackieofalltrades
22nd Aug 2012, 13:44
I've inquired about this with KLM in the past as I had a friend with a few thousand miles that they weren't going to use but wanted to give to me.
I was informed by KLM that miles are not transferable from one account to another, and as quoted above, cannot be earned for miles flown by anyone other than the actual member.

They do have a scheme where you can donate unwanted miles to their charity which uses them towards flights for sick children. I appreciate that's different to what you were asking, but figured would included it here for information in case anyone was wondering.

750XL
22nd Aug 2012, 13:47
Thanks for the information.

I only fly once every month or so on KLM so don't really fly often enough to earn any meaningful points, I just noticed that I was fairly close to getting Flying Blue Silver (due to the amount of flights flown rather than miles) and wondered if I could use my GF's flights to top up mine. Still, no idea what the difference between Blue and Silver is :cool:

jackieofalltrades
23rd Aug 2012, 15:14
I just noticed that I was fairly close to getting Flying Blue Silver (due to the amount of flights flown rather than miles) and wondered if I could use my GF's flights to top up mine.

No, Flying Blue will not permit you to do this. It has to be the member only earning the flights. Sadly your GF's flights will not be able to count towards you getting Silver status.

I only fly once every month or so on KLM so don't really fly often enough to earn any meaningful points

If this is return trips, then you will earn enough flights to get Silver. Currently it is 15 flights (not round trips) to get Silver.

Still, no idea what the difference between Blue and Silver is

Silver doesn't really give a huge amount of benefit. You don't get lounge access until Gold. However, it does give you extra luggage allowance, you will earn bonus miles on all eligible flights, and you can use the priority check-in desks and Fast Track at certain airports. That alone is enough to make it worth getting Silver if you can.
Occasionally you may get a free upgrade. I have had several, although most of my upgrades were as a Gold FF.

750XL
24th Aug 2012, 00:20
Cheers jackieofalltrades,

Tend to prefer flying KLM vs the big orange bus when I visit AMS so I'm sure the flights will clock up eventually :ok: