PDA

View Full Version : How to get on this merry-go-round

unattendedbag
21st Aug 2012, 16:23
Evening everybody,

Ok needing a bit of advice here.....

I am currently employed as a First Officer on a Single Turboprop. 1200 Hours Total Time. 1000 Hours Turbine Time. Have a Valid JAA/EASA CPL ME IR. I am still in my mid 20s.

1) Now do I stay working on my hours, aim for some PIC time eventually with the company over the next year, keep sending out those emails hoping someone will require the experience I have.

or

2) Do you think it would be a step in the right direction to gain a Type Rating on either a 737 or A320, alongside my current employment, to try and open more doors. And if so do I cut my costs and do a cheap FAA rating like ones being offered at Pam Am or do I still with the JAA and spend the money.

I also was looking at the possibility of looking at a Middle Eastern cabin crew job, as my friend started with Qatar as cabin crew and now he is an FO on the 777.

Peoples advice would be greatly appreciated, the usual negativity that I can always expect would not be welcome. Constructive Only.

Regards

ster
25th Aug 2012, 17:41
Stay where you are, enjoy your time and experience and eventually things will come good. The Airlines won't be in a position to ask for your money and will have no choice but to pay for your TR to get the right person for the job rather than the best from a minor bunch who have the money to pay after already shelling out 70k

Flying Mechanic
26th Aug 2012, 13:26
Stay where you are and keep flying, never give up a flying job for a non flying one!! Keep building hours,they are golden. Yours turn will come!

UAU242
26th Aug 2012, 15:46
Look on the bright side, you are in your mid 20s. I'm well past that age and in a similar position!

ClintonBaptiste
26th Aug 2012, 17:04
Fire your CV into Qatar Airways as a Fast track SO, life as cabin crew is another world compared to the flight deck. You may have to wait until next year, but as stated above never give up a flying job for a non-flying one.