PDA

View Full Version : New VS Upper Class

LondonPax
21st Aug 2012, 09:23
I just got an e-mail about the new VS Upper Class (http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en/the-virgin-experience/upperclass/new-upper-class-suite.html), fitted on new aircraft on the LHR-JFK route. It looks pretty good. One real improvement that I noticed is that the bar is now "separate from the cabin". This must mean that they have been listening to pax comments, because the proximity of the bar blights at least the first five rows of the Upper Class cabin. Has anybody here been on one of the newly-configured A330's? Is the bar really separate enough not to be a nuisance any more?

It's not all good news though: "All of our A330 aircraft have the AeroMobile system installed so you can make and receive phone calls and send texts from your own mobile phone." :ugh:

fincastle84
27th Aug 2012, 20:25
I gave up on Virgin years ago. BA's product is much superior & not only is T-5 a revelation in pax handling, it's also on the correct side of London for my easy access.

Bealzebub
27th Aug 2012, 21:13
Also, if you are travelling UC (or any other class) after November you can no longer select your seat until online check-in opens at T-24 hours! caught me the first time, but they lost the next two bookings to BA.

baggersup
27th Aug 2012, 22:47
I was thinking of using VS for the first time in many years in UC for Crimbo.

The web site bit I could find says the lack of seat selection is "temporary" and pertains only to Premium Economy due to ongoing refurbishment of their planes and the seat numbers are changing.

But the "news" section did not go very far back and perhaps a news release about a similar policy in UC was announced earlier?

It was pretty unclear how long the "no advance seat selection" policy will be in effect in Premium Economy, as they say it goes into effect Nov. 1, as previously stated.

So am a bit confused. It made me wonder at first if they were going to "enhance" the UC product and go to a paid seat selection for non-status pax like BA has.

But it may be moot for me as I'm not thrilled about being one of of their new 330's with 10 geezers yelling down the new mobile phone service on board.....or locking themselves in the loo to make their phone calls as some regular Emirates pax have reported happens on Emirates which has had mobile inflight use for awhile.... Waiting for a loo even in premium cabins can be tricky enough without them becoming the new red phone box!

Just the mobile phone usage inflight is enough to scare the horses.

dazdaz1
28th Aug 2012, 16:46
As far as I understand it.Your all breaking the law using a mobile in UK airspace. The 'Wireless 1949 act has never been revoked. Read from Part1 onwards

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:4DRYwOb1x1AJ:www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/topics/legislation/wtact1949.pdf+telegraph+act+captain+sending+messages&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjVgtSbWHVnQzfzMHw0kN14dsw3PP0BD4SXS0Ty0_V_gfgB0T HVVKav18BOFBoMUvEI7vXSnMsbEjZUaicf8nwJrREeKcWLtHyU8q9LpWex0S S6RjsKck1izLHXJsTxur2473aa&sig=AHIEtbSCB1ea4kvVayErWkvZk4WAuLYZeQ

PAXboy
28th Aug 2012, 17:13
dazdaz1 The complaint from baggersup was:
... the new mobile phone service on board.
So I took it to mean the carrier supplied, aircraft installed mobile service. This means that it is not using a pax mobile attempting to connect direct with a ground based mast - which is indeed illegal and stupid.

The forum FAQ lists three threads on the subject:
WHY CAN'T I USE MY MOBILE PHONE WHEN I WANT?
and I dare say that one one those talks about this kind of service.

ExXB
28th Aug 2012, 17:17
We have had 'in-flight phoning' for a while now on a number of airlines. I have to admit I haven't seen any reports (good, bad, indifferent) on real experiences.

I have, however, continue to see lots of posts that paint this as 'a pretty bad thing', and 'hope I never have to experience it'.

It wasn't that long ago when most airlines had (very expensive) seat back phones. I recall even using one (Swissair flight into LHR diverting to LGW due to T1 Burger King fire. 12 December 1997). However they were so poorly taken up that the airlines ripped them out to save weight.

So, who out there has been on a flight with calling enabled and what were your experiences?

Thanks

dazdaz1
28th Aug 2012, 17:37
Paxboy

My reply was to #1 #4 posts. Incorporating the 1949 act (WIRELESS) in response to mobile phone use on aircraft. Maybe a slight diversion, but the law stands. I thought readers might have found this of interest.

LondonPax
29th Aug 2012, 11:38
A couple of things. First, it would be helpful to know more about the potential loss of advance seat selection in UC. The ability to select a seat in advance should be a basic element of any business class experience. It would seem crazy to lose it - what is the possible advantage of that? If VS is removing that, they will lose my business. The bar is still right on top of the cabin in the non-revamped UC and there is no way that I would fly VS again if there wa any risk that I would be within five rows of the bar.

Second, my guess is that even if they allow mobile use, it will be outside UK airspace. BA allows use of pax mobiles for e-mail and texts on its LCY-JFK flights, but that service is not available immediately after take-off. IIRC they switch it on some time after the flight has left Shannon. I note also that although they presumably could allow voice calls, they have decided not to. Long may that last.

PAXboy
29th Aug 2012, 12:37
dazdaz1 Sorry if I misunderstood. I thought the item in question was this system: Aero Mobile. mobile phones on planes - Home (http://www.aeromobile.net/)

LondonPax I think the info from baggersup was (my emphasis):
The web site bit I could find says the lack of seat selection is "temporary" and pertains only to Premium Economy due to ongoing refurbishment of their planes and the seat numbers are changing.Otherwise ring the VS call centre.

TCAS FAN
24th Feb 2014, 20:01
Recently flew LHR/DXB/LHR Upper Class on the A330. Probably the last time that I fly Virgin.

First impression, a claustrophobic cabin with with too many seats crammed in. Cabin crew having try to squeeze by between the seats while trying to serve drinks/meals.

Boarding music very loud, causing great difficulty making a last pre-departure telephone call. Why travel business class if you cannot carry on doing business?

As for the seats, who designed them, Fly-Lo's Omar Baba? One arm rest left side, which could not be used as it was too low, nothing on my right side.

What a let down after flying the 744 for many years.

Any one know if anything is being done about the seating configuration and the appalling seats? If not I'll be calling BA for the next trip.

TCAS FAN
23rd Nov 2014, 08:50
I know that I said I wouldn't, but have just got back from a trip on VS Upper Class - a client kindly paid for the ticket.

Joy of joys, back on the A330, nothing has changed.

Browsing through the wine list I may have found the next cost saving. Lanson Black Label champagne served "on all aircraft except 787s", read on with interest. This replaced with sparkling wine on 787s "Specially selected to taste perfect onboard our 787s which have a totally new cabin environment". You are having a laugh if you think that the average business traveller is going to swallow that c**p!

I understand that the sparkling wine has already replaced champagne in Premium Economy on all flights.

What's coming next, a new lunch menu on the 787s "a choice of freshly cut sandwiches or a pork pie"?

Time to re-brand to "Second Class"?

strake
23rd Nov 2014, 16:31
Maybe bad marketing on the part of VS but I can assure you that some 'Cremant' is every bit as good as, if not better, than a number of Champagne's. Same method and often, same grapes - just not made in the Champagne region.

Level bust
23rd Nov 2014, 17:00
Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Alsacienne
23rd Nov 2014, 19:28
but I can assure you that the taste of Alsacian crémant is delightful!

vctenderness
24th Nov 2014, 08:48
Aldi and Lidl can sell a reasonably good bottle of Champagne for under ten quid but Virgin resort to 'sparkling wine' to save a few bob. Says it all really!:confused:

ExXB
24th Nov 2014, 10:33
VS's booze would be duty/VAT free, so they should be able to provide it for at least 16.66% cheaper than Aldi or Liddle