PDA

View Full Version : Samos flight - advice/consolation? ;)

chicken flyer
21st Aug 2012, 07:58
I am going to Samos soon. As being afraid of flying I was not very amused when I read that some pilots opinion was that that runway/airport should be nuked since its approach without ILS etc is dangerous.

Now, I fly and try to live my life as if I was not afraid of flying or at least try to ACT like I was not. I think that if Samos was that dangeous the airport should be closed or at least no airlines would use it.

The flight is with a charter company and a 737. Is that a plane actually too big to frequent this kind of airport? I also read that its a "captains only" approach and that its a fully manual approach since there is no ILS etc. Winds over 25 knots can yield high turbulence when coming from north (which is the regular wind direction).

I fins it kind of strange that some pilots fins it an interesting approach while some say thay always slept bad before a Samos flight.

Its kind of funny we always find those spots wich I then afterwards read have aiports/runways with those rumors. Corfu, St Barth etc.

Any advice/opinion on this?

Irish_Avro_Driver
21st Aug 2012, 12:01
737 is fine ive flown 757s into Samos. Its an interesting approach but absolutely nothing to worry about. You will head towards the runway at right angles then make a turn to runway heading and before you know it you will have landed.
Enjoy the view And remember if the captain goes around for anther attempt, you wont be charged for it !

rm2242
22nd Aug 2012, 19:40
Ryanair would charge!