PDA

View Full Version : The general standard of radio calls in Australia...

JetA181
20th Aug 2012, 03:00
So after flying for quite a few years I have noticed certain things about airmanship and professionalism, and lately it seems that a lot of pilots radio work, to be honest is quite poor.

So many times I still hear commercial pilots reading back reports and expects... and in an instance the other day when asked by tower for in-flight conditions a virgin 737 pilot responded with "we are India Mike Charlie"... :ugh:

I don't think it's something which is hard to do, so maybe people need to do some study and learn what does and does not need to be in radio calls.

haughtney1
20th Aug 2012, 06:39
JetA181, are you for real? or perhaps just a troll or flight sim expert?

What would you expect the guy to read back? "ummm yes tower it's currently a bit warm here in the cockpit plus I can't see anything outside cos it's cloudy.
IMC is a perfectly adequate description of inflight conditions....unless of course there is some dumbarse Oz rule that mandates otherwise, in which case the said Virgin flightcrew have probably been fined..censured, and CASA will be pressing charges with the full backing of Air circus australia.

Capt Claret
20th Aug 2012, 06:47
Well in 29 years I don't recall ever hearing some one describe their inflight conditions as either India Mike Charlie, or Victor Mike Charlie. No doubt if I heard that I'd scratch my head for a bit, thinking what the f*#% are they one about?

However if the answer was "IMC" or "VMC", I'd cotton on pretty quick.

JetA181
20th Aug 2012, 07:06
"We are India Mike Charlie"... not "IMC or VMC".

Di_Vosh
20th Aug 2012, 07:14
Not again! :ugh:

This thread:

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/473706-radio-calls.html

was locked not that long ago. Do you really think that there is going to be anything more constructive to add since February?

DIVOSH!

ChaseIt
20th Aug 2012, 07:17
JetA181... A mate of mine who flew in Europe for a while said, "India Mike Charlie" is a common way of saying the conditions in flight when IMC. I dont know as i have never flown over their myself:} Being Aussies i guess we just like to shorten everything we can though :O...

BlatantLiar
20th Aug 2012, 07:33
So many trolls on Papa Papa Romeo November these days.

Trent 972
20th Aug 2012, 08:27
AIP GEN 2. GENERAL AND METEOROLOGICAL ABBREVIATIONS

Abbreviations marked “#” may be spoken using the constituent letters rather than the phonetic alphabet.

# lMC Instrument Meteorological Conditions

AIP GEN 3-4 Communication Services
4.9.1 Radiotelephony pronunciation of the Phonetic Alphabet shall be as follows:
I INDIA
M MIKE
C CHARLIE

note the bolded and underlined 'may' in the 1st quote as opposed to the bolded and underlined 'shall' in the 2nd quote from AIP.

Eventhough saying "India Mike Charlie" was not required, it was not wrong.

Cirronimbus
20th Aug 2012, 08:53
Those pilots who (ahh) put (ahh) pauses (ahh) in their (ahh) comms are (ahh) pain.

Makes them sound like they can't remember their own call signs or they are not concentrating on the call. The same people don't insert pauses when speaking face-to-face so why the pauses in the radio calls?

Ultralights
20th Aug 2012, 09:03
http://pamuva1.smugmug.com/Other/webcrap-images/692502668c1f5c979c/102174118_reoJX-L.jpg