PDA

View Full Version : Royal Army Air Corps

Callum95
19th Aug 2012, 21:11
Hey people, im 17 years old and looking to fly helicopters in the AAC but by what ive heard, they arent the best when it comes to military flying... apperently you spend more time flying a desk rather than getting some hours so i was hoping if anyone had any info about them you could let me know? im at a bit of a cross roads wether to join the AAC or the RAF. cheers :)

ShyTorque
19th Aug 2012, 21:21
Oh, boy, can't wait to hear the answers to this one.....!

(but whichever you choose, hurry up so they can make special arrangements, there's a good chap.) :D

Tankertrashnav
19th Aug 2012, 23:00
RAAC? Nice conflation of the two titles. Made me think though, if you dont make the grade for either you could always join the RAC. They wear a nice blue uniform as well (or at least they used to)!

Scuttled
20th Aug 2012, 01:58
Oh dear God, please tell me this is a wind up. This cannot be the standard looking to walk through the Recruiting Office door, can it?

I truly hope to get a deserved 'Wah' by return post.

"Hey People"........

I fear for the future.

Mach Two
20th Aug 2012, 08:49
That's the spirit. Encourage the youngsters that come here looking for a bit of fatherly advice. Or are PPRuNers now part of the selection process with a bit of public humiliation thrown in for good measure?

Callum,

I would look at where the helicopters are likely to be by the time you join up and get cracking on your quals straight away.

M2.

Chugalug2
20th Aug 2012, 15:12
Royal Army Air Corps? why is it that I am always the last to hear about anything? The more you repeat it to yourself, the more it has the awful ring of truth. I suppose that means going back to those ghastly khaki maternity jackets again. God's teeth is nothing sacred.
Is it true that the Lord Flashheart will lead the inaugural flypast with the call, "Let's do-oo-ooooo it" very loudly, or merely transmit an executive "Woof"?

hihover
20th Aug 2012, 15:55
You really do have a dilemma, which of these two services will you grace with your presence? Why not apply to both, however, looking at your level of communication skill plus what you have to offer at this point, I doubt you'll get through either door, but you never know.

Unfortunately Callum, the UK is full of bright, well qualified young men who want to do the same as you. I am sure you will come to find your place in that pile. I wish you well.

As for flying a desk.....it is a potential hazzard in either service, depending on the route you take. Neither service produce better pilots than the other, they just have a slightly different mindset. I was fortunate enough to serve with both.

If I were you, I'd apply to both. It doesn't sound to me as though you are qualified for either as yet, but if either offer you a position, jump at it, and be very grateful.

Good luck.

Tam

Do remember, if you are able to get into the RAF, the best you will be is a Crab..........sorry guys.......what else could a Pongo say?

SOSL
20th Aug 2012, 16:03
Seems unreal and slightly weird! What could be the reason for that? All 4 of your posts elsewhere on this forum have been in a similar vein and you haven't got any good advice so far. Best you check with your nearest CIO or the Oz equivalent.

Rgds SOS

Peter Carter
20th Aug 2012, 16:54
Advice from another who wishes to fly as a pilot:

Tommy's New Job - Come Fly With Me - BBC One - YouTube

Pontius Navigator
20th Aug 2012, 17:03
Callum, you are young and your English reflects this. You have years ahead of you to get the right grades and then apply.

The only other advice I can offer is NEVER suggest that the AAC is inferior to the RAF; they are but that is not for you to say :}

NutLoose
20th Aug 2012, 17:30
Good luck Callum, remember nothing is easy, it is your drive that will get you there

The only other advice I can offer is NEVER suggest that the AAC is inferior to the RAF; they are but that is not for you to say

:E
And don't call them Teeny Weany Airways either, they don't like it.

green granite
20th Aug 2012, 17:37
What! 13 replies and no grammar police reply

Courtney Mil
20th Aug 2012, 18:37
OK. Don't use digits to start a sentence. Use 'Thirteen' instead. :ok:

Milo Minderbinder
20th Aug 2012, 18:49
Wouldn't he be better off trying to join the Navy? they may still have some helicopters left by the time he gets to training

diginagain
20th Aug 2012, 18:54
Wouldn't he be better off trying to join the Navy? they may still have some helicopters left by the time he gets to training Come 1st Apr 2018 the choice is going to be rather limited...

MightyGem
20th Aug 2012, 21:35
Also, being an Aussie, you should know that the RAAC is the Royal Australian Armoured Corps, which is why there will never be a Royal Army Air Corps.
Royal Australian Armoured Corps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Australian_Armoured_Corps)

Faithless
21st Aug 2012, 21:23
Here we go...everyone jumping on the band wagon to rip the p1ss and dick dance about Crabs & Pongos, teeny weany airways etc etc.....:=

But we all forgot to look at his location didn't we? :ugh:

Hueymeister
21st Aug 2012, 23:36
This has to be a Troll-laid turd....surely:}

Pontius Navigator
22nd Aug 2012, 06:47
Here we go...everyone jumping on the band wagon to rip the p1ss and dick dance about Crabs & Pongos, teeny weany airways etc etc.....:=

But we all forgot to look at his location didn't we? :ugh:

Or having noticed he was from Oz actually read the whole thread to avoid looking like a prat? :}

TT2
22nd Aug 2012, 11:45
'Sounds like a candidate for the Royal Scottish Air Flight'

Guv', it ain't going to be the 'Royal.......'. It's going to be 'Wee Eck's War Machine'. WEWM.:ok:

Callum95
22nd Aug 2012, 17:19
Hey guys, i've been getting emails from this site lately and thought they were promotions or updates.. What I have come to relise is that my older brother (the one who wants to be a helicopter pilot) used my account when I left it open, the real "Callum95" is the one talkin now, not the one who made the post. Just wanted to clear that up cos your making me out to sound like a retard.. I also wanted to say that the post I made long ago, about the 3 options.. I chose the right one and have an interview in 2 weeks for the sixth form scholarship and graduate program into the RAF.

Canadian WokkaDoctor
22nd Aug 2012, 17:30
Not very convincing, I must say. However, I would like to point out that the program you are referring to is a programme. Whoever the real Callum95 is, good luck with the interview.

Callum95
22nd Aug 2012, 17:42
Well believe what you like, I (Callum95) am the one who owns this account and is attending the upcoming interview, my 17 year old brother (18 in jan) is the wanna be chopper pilot and the author of the main post. Thank you aswell.

NRU74
22nd Aug 2012, 18:18
I think it's Calumny -one way or t'other

Callum95
22nd Aug 2012, 18:30
If your talking about my brother, then he doesn't have an account.. Hence why he used this but if your thinking I'm a fraud or troll, whatever crap you want to believe then I assure you I'm not. I also believe there are more people with the name Callum on here compared to just me...

NutLoose
22nd Aug 2012, 18:32
Either way, good luck.

Callum95
22nd Aug 2012, 19:13
Thank you, I appreciate it.

Anthony Supplebottom
22nd Aug 2012, 20:53
What an excellent thread!

The video was hilarious as were many of the other comments.

Or are PPRuNers now part of the selection process with a bit of public humiliation thrown in for good measure?

Absolutely yes .. spot on! :ok:

500N
22nd Aug 2012, 21:03
Video, very good :ok: