PDA

View Full Version : Two survive Vic chopper crash "Hughes 500"

The Ozzie BOY
19th Aug 2012, 07:58
TWO men have walked away with only cuts and bruises from the crash of a small helicopter crash southeast of Melbourne.
The light civilian aircraft was coming in for a landing near Kongwak, about 100 kilometres from the city, when it crashed at about 3pm (AEST) on Sunday, police said.

The 69-year-old pilot and a 43-year-old passenger suffered minor injuries but managed to walk to a nearby home to raise the alarm.

The passenger was taken to hospital for treatment of a cut on his head.

Investigators believe the engine may have cut out on the Hughes 500 chopper. Air safety officials have been told of the incident.

Read more: Two survive Vic chopper crash | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/national/two-survive-vic-chopper-crash/story-e6frfku9-1226453590083#ixzz23ycmsNRW)

elro
19th Aug 2012, 18:33
BbySN0GF1qw
Gyrocopter accident...?
Dafuq!?:confused:

500e
19th Aug 2012, 19:46
Don't you just love the hacks

mickjoebill
20th Aug 2012, 03:13
In the one minute story they reported eleven facts and filled the rest of the time with....

"somehow survived"
"very lucky escape"
"miraculously escaped"
"incredible escape"

Thats one exaggeration every second!!!!!.

Mickjoebill

Squeaks
20th Aug 2012, 09:55
The interview online was a tad disconcerting: looking at the speed on touchdown I think a review of autos; flaring at the end of, might be a good investment :eek:

JReexxU5-4g

Aesir
20th Aug 2012, 11:24
Once again the H-500 excellent crashworthiness is proven. Some other helicopter types may not have maintaned a livable space within the cabin after such an impact.

Regarding comments on autorotation speed perhaps the pilot was extending his glide to avoid the trees and therefore used high speed!?

What is the extended range glide speed in auto on a H-500? anyone know?

Flyting
21st Aug 2012, 05:28
Pilot said: "had 8 seconds to land after the engine failed"....
there's no extending range at that low height.... Dump and FLARE....
Height is always the saving grace...

mickjoebill
21st Aug 2012, 07:24
At 0.40sec helmet is pictured on the ground approx 5 meters from the cabin, it looks very banged up!!
Was it donned at the time and came off during the rollover or was it discarded in this location after the pilot exited the wreckage?

Not obvious, it was also pictured by the media chopper at 0.51 in the first video in the thread in the same position, beside two pieces of windscreen in the middle of the debris path.

Mickjoebill

rotorrookie
21st Aug 2012, 11:34
this one falls under "the successful autorotation” criteria, both walked away, and second to Aesir comment about H-500 crashwortiness. :D

Hughes500
21st Aug 2012, 11:50
Normal auto speed is 60 kts with 80 as range speed.

heliduck
22nd Aug 2012, 00:17
Not a very clear video but it's a pretty shallow approach, it's either a successful auto or an unsuccessful low level beat up. Extraordinary that they weren't injured & like others I'm very impressed with the airframe condition, I don't think a Bell or Squirrel would have come out looking so good.

spinwing
22nd Aug 2012, 02:55
Mmmm .....

If your going to have to ride a machine down the Hu 369 series is the one to do it in as far as crashworthiness is concerned ...

Very very strong 'egg' shaped fuselage construction ... but do wear a helmet!

It is however a 'rapid' decent in the 'Auto' .... :eek:

(I got my 500 endorsement (back in '76) from a ex 'US Army 'Loach' driver and some of the 'auto' techniques (to touchdown) I learned from him should be made mandatory for everybody flying S/E helicopters...) :D

:E