PDA

View Full Version : amphib floats

rocket66
19th Aug 2012, 01:05
Folks, just out of curiosity, what kind of cost am I looking at if I wanted to put a set of amphibs on a c206 these days?

Rocket

Piano Man
19th Aug 2012, 01:23
Don't expect much change out of $150000 USD for a set of new wiplines installed.

206 on wheels and on straight floats are great but you loose a whole load of payload on Amphibs is reduced quite considerably.

hiwaytohell
19th Aug 2012, 01:37
To do the job right kits will start from about $120k for new amphib floats. Cost for second hand can vary greatly depending upon the condition and model of the float kit, I have seen a secondhand C206 amphib float kit in good condition for $20k plus instal would be I guess another $25k by the time the paperwork is done.

Keep in mind the new models perform much better than some of the older ones. I flew a 206 amphib years ago and it was a real dog, but the newer designs like the latest from Wipaire are much better. Wipaire Inc. - Home of Wipline Floats (http://www.wipaire.com/)

You get what you pay for though!!!

rocket66
19th Aug 2012, 02:36
I've flown an older C206 straight float that was a 1981 model and it was pretty ordinary off the water. I understand that ofcourse the newer aircraft are more expensive to buy but would they perform better than older models and generaly need less maintenence?

Also does anyone know of a C206 amphib that may be available for leasing along the eastern seaboard?

Rocket

WannaBeBiggles
19th Aug 2012, 08:30
The real question is, do you need an amphib or can you put it on straight floats and just pull it out of the water on a trailer or via a ramp? You'll get extra payload and performance.

Amphibs can also bring with them their own problems and associated expenses, especially in regards to maintenance, not sure what the insurance premium differences are between a straight float vs. amphib but I'm sure it'd be quite noticeable.

A 550 upgrade can help with performance.

There was an amphib 206 for sale up in CS, it was to be sold but that fell through so I'm pretty sure it's still on the market.

Which 206 have you flown? If it was NTK that you flew then I'm sure there are many on this forum who'd argue with you about the "pretty poor" comment ;)

Piano Man
19th Aug 2012, 11:49
I second that and will not hear a bad word about NTK! Great machine put on floats by a Mr Bill Lane. To this day Bill still maintains it is one of the best 206 on floats in Oz!

For me Amphibs have their time and place. Being able to park at an airport every night and knowing it will be there the following morning. Also makes maintenance a hell of a lot easier too! Also if it's to rough to operate then airport to airport is a fantastic back up. Even in the Whitsundays the airport to airport scenics are popular. The downside is weight. For a beaver on Amphibs v a beaver on straights, you gain almost a 300kg penalty.

There has been talk of a 206 for sale up in Cairns as aforementioned which is on Amphibs, but would personally try and build my own machine.

rocket66
19th Aug 2012, 22:51
Actually it was NTK. I do apologise for that comment. Thinking back it actually wasnt too bad after all. It was a long time ago so my memory of it is a bit hazy.

I would prefer an amphib as my local field is nearby. Id rather it be secure there at night as there arent any places where it could be left at local ramps.

Whats the rego of the one in Cairns Biggles?

Rocket.