PDA

View Full Version : Ways to become a pilot in the airforce?

flying55
17th Aug 2012, 21:32
What are some advantages and disadvantages of becoming a pilot through ADFA or becoming a pilot through direct entry?

FoxtrotAlpha18
18th Aug 2012, 00:50
Go through ADFA - get a degree and get paid for it. Less study and fewer courses required down the track for future promotions.

Direct entry - fine if all you want to do is fly, but means more work later on if you want to progress. Shorter ROSO.

A.Sullivan
18th Aug 2012, 01:20
What would be the chances of someone joining after receiving a cpl and also having a degree? can people join part way through a degree?

Joker89
18th Aug 2012, 04:49
. Less study and fewer courses required down the track for future promotions.

That's not true. No RPL for ADFA regarding PMET.

oldm8
18th Aug 2012, 09:17
PM me. Happy to give you some info.

Shagpile
18th Aug 2012, 09:19
Go to a normal uni, have the time of your life, get scurvy from 2-min noodle diet, win drinking games to win your Friday night booze & join a political organization you know nothing about.

Then join direct entry and have fun doing only flying.

oldm8
19th Aug 2012, 05:56
No need to PM me, Shagpile pretty much summed it up.

Bonniciwah
19th Aug 2012, 08:50
Though at least with ADFA you're not saddled with a HECS debt.

flying55
19th Aug 2012, 08:51
What is the point of shagpile's idea when at the same time could be doing the ADFA course and get paid more at the end of studies (correct me if im wrong) besides having a bit of fun at a normal uni?

Shagpile
19th Aug 2012, 08:54
100% polar opposite experiences.

flying55
19th Aug 2012, 09:00
Does the experience at a normal uni outway the experiences at ADFA so much to not take on the method of training with an income?

baswell
19th Aug 2012, 09:06
Does the ADFA route put you on a road to eventually flying a desk (and calling it a promotion) where as direct-entry just keeps you flying as long as you want?

Arm out the window
19th Aug 2012, 09:34
direct-entry just keeps you flying as long as you want?

Not at all, the path to the desk job is as clearly defined for the direct entrant as for the ADFA graduate.

Becoming a QFI is a pretty good way to prolong the flying career, or at least make it more likely that you'll do so, but avoiding the desk can be very hard to do.

flying55
19th Aug 2012, 10:17
Is Adfa for the smarter pilots? Could the airforce train you up and tell you do do another job in the airfoorce?

717tech
19th Aug 2012, 12:39
Never looked into the RAAF when I started training.
What is the average time frame from graduation to flying the desk? Is it something that is forced upon you if you're on a certain fleet? or just a given that it will happen and just deal with it?

SgtBundy
19th Aug 2012, 12:49
Direct entry is that, Direct entry - ADFA is just doing Uni in a military college before you go in. Entrance requirements are basically the same so its not about smarts, just path of entry.

Put it this way - when I applied back in 97 we were told for the entire area of south Queensland that of the 400 applications for pilot entry via ADFA, they would select 2. Of those, one would fail flying training on average.

Also remember you are an officer first and a pilot second. You will do plenty of other jobs as an officer as well as any pilot duties (mess officers, duty officer etc). You also will have a return of service obligation so if you fall out of flying training expect to find another job waiting while you complete your ROSO.