PDA

View Full Version : FAA IR

Knut
17th Aug 2012, 16:57
Hey, interested to get some opinions on this. I'm a JAR CPL/Multi IR. Need to get a FAA commercial to work N reg abroad. Already have FAA private pilot 61.75 with multi and IR piggybacked on my JAR licence. Can't see any reason why I need to go for the added expense of getting FAA stand alone IR with the FAA CPL since I'm always going to have a current JAR IR and hence current IR on the 61.75 private licence. Hope that makes sense. Any views?

Gulfstreamaviator
18th Aug 2012, 08:11
GET IT.

The FAA IR is perhaps the easiest and IMHO the cheepest rating you can ever get, if flight test is bolted on to a FAA TR check ride, (with suitable examiner.)

glf

GET IT

Clearedils
18th Aug 2012, 09:39
Main reason to get a standalone license in your case seems to be able to fly an N-reg commercially in the first place.

Other reason would be that a new 61.75 is required for each of the following reasons, all of which making the old 61.75 invalid:
- Address change (within 30 days of moving)
- English Proficient annotation (already mandatory)
- Credit card style license (already mandatory)
- Change of JAR license number (think UK/JAR to EASA)
- Possibility of FAA license to include photo in the near future

The standalone license also never expires and you can update all the things above via simple online system. New licenses are posted at very small fees rather than having to visit a FSDO and/or getting your license verified by the local authorities all at much higher cost.

Beaver100
18th Aug 2012, 19:55
Oh, yes that job on the G reg Gulfstream for my mate with an FAA licence, Guess, he just needs a JAA PPL IR as he has doesnt really need a JAA ATPL :ugh:

Valmont
18th Aug 2012, 23:41
You need to pass 2 check rides to get a FAA Commercial Instrument in order to operate an aircraft commercially.

Even though you got a Private IR SE & ME, your license doesn't have the mention: U.S. Test Passed, meaning that you won't be able to get the IR on your commercial unless you actually pass the test.

So, you'll have to do 2 checkrides.
1.Instrument Rating Checkride
2.Commercial-ME Checkride

peterh337
20th Aug 2012, 13:35
If you are flying on the privileges of a US pilot license, and you want to go IFR, you need to have an IR on that license.

Having a JAA IR is no good, because it is on a different license.

NuName
20th Aug 2012, 17:32
To "work" with an FAA licence it must be a stand alone CPL/IR minimum, and, outside the US a FCC RT licence is required. If it is on an aircraft requiring a type rating and you are going to be SIC you will also need a SIC type rating on that licence outside the US.

ra4000
20th Aug 2012, 18:43
the beauty is you can do the instrumen and commercial
at the same checkride

vinz2406
24th Aug 2012, 15:45
hey can any one tell me wher in florida i can fly da-42 diamond....
please tell me the school where the rates are not skyhigh....
i have already know what are the rates in airborne systems, so please tell me any ohter school where i can fly da42 for cheaper reates....
n guys plz help me urgent...:O:ok:

Knut
27th Aug 2012, 15:19
Ok, I'm being told I need to do 15 hours with an FAA IR instructor before I'm allowed to do the FAA IR test, which is why I'm thinking I could just do a FAA CPL without the IR since I already have an FAA IR on my private certificate. I could really do without the cost of 15 hours approved IR training. Just to confirm I have a FAA IR on my 61.75. I thought an instrument rating was an instrument rating, I've not heard of a distinction between a commercial instrument rating and a private instrument rating before, assuming the rating is valid on the type being flown. ps. I'm no expert so please correct me if I'm wrong!

S-Works
27th Aug 2012, 19:38
Can't see any reason why I need to go for the added expense of getting FAA stand alone IR with the FAA CPL since I'm always going to have a current JAR IR and hence current IR on the 61.75 private licence. Hope that makes sense. Any views?

Because you can't add a based on rating onto a full FAA certificate. The moment you gain a full FAA certificate all new ratings must be full ratings and added to that certificate. You can't use the ratings on two different certificates to add up to one.

So if you are going to have to do both the CPL and IR and any other required ratings.