PDA

View Full Version : A380-800 Ground Operations

mutt
17th Aug 2012, 13:49
Taken from Jeppesen 10-1P2 for ATHENS....

Engines 1 and 4 should be shut-down when vacating the RWY after landing started up for departure on the RWY. Taxiing should be performed on engines 2 and 3. Alternatively in order to minimize RWY occupancy, engines 1 and 4 should be started up on TWY D facing south, abeam link D2 for departure from RWY 03R, or on link D13 facing east for departure from RWY 21L. If engines 1 and 4 are started up prior to entering the RWY they should be kept at ground idle until lined up for departure

First time that i have seen such restrictions for the A380, my question is why do they exist? Are the taxiways that narrow that they dont want engine FOD? Or?

As for In order to keep the required minimum edge clearances, judgemental oversteer shall be used would lead me to believe that the airport isnt ready for the A380.

gas path
17th Aug 2012, 14:37
Aother small point. No matter what 'flavour' of engines are installed it wont do them any good being started up then immediately being poked up to takeoff power without a warm up.:8

Telstar
17th Aug 2012, 15:02
As a general trend I've noticed more of this kind of crap sneaking into the Jepp briefings. I am probably wrong but I have the distinct feeling that they are being written so they can be held up and pointed out to the local NIMBYs as the airports swashbuckling and unique way of dealing with noise pollution.

One of the Sardinian airports had a similar note along the lines of "idle power only for taxi" when the taxiway was slightly uphill. We had a colleague so blinded by SOPs that he attempted it and started rolling backwards.

I don't know if the instructions above are related to FOD or another genuine hazard but if they are some over zealous attempt at noise abatement then I hope that those who have been put in charge of an A380 have the common sense to treat them with utter contempt.

FlightPathOBN
17th Aug 2012, 20:14
A380 requirements:

Runway: Min pavement width is 60m, with 75m preferred

Taxiway: Min pavement width is 25m, taxiway strip level width min 60m

mutt
17th Aug 2012, 20:24
Runway: Min pavement width is 60m, with 75m preferred

Heathrow is 50 metres wide :):)

Mutt

FlightPathOBN
17th Aug 2012, 21:47
They can have a stabilized shoulder that can count..not sure of the exact config at Heathrow...

looking quickly with Google, it appears that the North runway and taxiways have reinforced shoulders...

galaxy flyer
18th Aug 2012, 03:53
Mutt

Your employer moving up? :E

GF

pattern_is_full
18th Aug 2012, 04:18
Probably simply the same reason 1 and 4 on the 380 don't have reverse thrust - they have more engine overhang than any other commercial craft except the Antonov Mryia or Spruce Goose.

File:Giant planes comparison.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Giant_planes_comparison.svg)

....it wont do them any good being started up then immediately being poked up to takeoff power without a warm up.

Yep - which is why they aren't started up then immediately poked to takeoff power. You sit there occupying the runway until they have warmed up - or:

Alternatively in order to minimize RWY occupancy, (emphasis added) engines 1 and 4 should be started up on TWY D facing south,...... etc.

Romasik
18th Aug 2012, 22:04
It may have something to do with brake heating. Today in Jeddah Emirates A380 requested nearest to their parking RW34L while everybody else were using 34R, and gave brake heating during prolonged taxi as a reason.
On the other day they were holding all traffic on the main taxiway for about 20 min as they could't taxi due to hot brakes. That was on departure by the way...

JohnieWalker
19th Aug 2012, 05:15
One of the other reasons might be to keep the TWY clean of debris.

While A380 might not receive any FOD during taxi it still can blow quite a lot of stuff onto TWY with 1 & 4 (even if the edges are clean, you never know) if it is not wide enough, in that case I believe TWY check will have to be performed by responsible personnel after A380 taxi, therefore probably delaying other a/c.

Trent 972
19th Aug 2012, 05:27
??? ... A380 FCOM (my bolding)
Little, if any, power above idle thrust can be necessary to move the aircraft (e.g. approximately up t0 10 % THR at heavy weight, with a uphill taxi slope). Excessive thrust application on engines can result in exhaust-blast damage (e.g. on airport signs). The Flight Crew should use symmetrical thrust. When the aircraft begins to move, less thrust is necessary.
If the inner engines are located over unconsolidated or unprepared ground during taxi, avoid high thrust settings on the inner engines (i.e. engine ingestion (FOD) risk increases). If additional thrust is necessary, the Flight Crew should preferably use the outer engines.

Outer engines less susceptible to FOD, so I guess they don't want the airport signs blown away.:confused: