PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Instructing

airshowpilot
5th Apr 2002, 17:28
Does anyone have any suggestions of alternatives to instructing for a living (that still keep me flying)?

I am a 30-year-old English bloke. I am the proud owner of a FAA CPL/IR with a massive 250 hours to my name and hope to complete both my ATPL written exams and gain my JAA CPL within the next two months. My ultimate aim is to work with one of the airlines.

I know that I'm v.lowhours.com and the likelihood is that I will go into instructing and enjoy it, however, I am interested in hearing of any alternative views or 'roads less travelled' in my quest for the right-hand seat. Thank you for your time.

redsnail
5th Apr 2002, 18:49
If you don't wish to instruct but you want to stay in Britain then the alternatives are slim. (I don't know the UK GA scene very well).
You could try glider towing or meat bombing (parachute drops) however, I believe the chances of being paid are slim. You could try air taxi work but I think the company regs/insurance requirements require a few more hours.
Now, if you are prepared to travel, I would suggest Africa (pick the locations carefully) and get into a scenic/charter operation.
That's the sort of thing I did in Australia.

airshowpilot
6th Apr 2002, 13:07
Sounds interesting. Thanks. Where did you work?
I have a passport and will travel... :cool:

shon7
6th Apr 2002, 22:01
Hey Redsnail, any suggestions where I can look up these locations in Africa which would requer charter/sightseeing work?

How do you get around the bureaucratic procedures?

In answer to your question airshowpilot - I don't know about the UK but in the US pipeline patrols are pretty popular. Lots of hours, good VFR flying. Look into that.

foghorn
7th Apr 2002, 16:31
Not sure why, but Pipeline patrols tend be done by helo here in the UK - probably to do with the shorter distances?

redsnail
7th Apr 2002, 17:31
I never flew in Africa. So hopefully someone else can post info on that. A possible source would be a travel agent and look for packages offering scenics etc. Note the name of the company and search them out.
I flew out of Kununurra (Western Australia) for about 18 months or so doing scenics and govt charter work. hard work, lots of variety. Started on C206's. Ended up flying C207's and C210's as well as the Partenavia's.
Later I flew Islanders for Coastwatch out of Broome (Western Australia). Got to see a good part of the coast line nice and close.
It was fun.