PDA

View Full Version : Purchase a Raven I or Raven II in Ireland ?

Sug
16th Aug 2012, 23:45
Hello,

I am looking for some buyers advice please.

I am considering buying a Robinson R44. The trouble I have is I am not sure which model to buy!
I have flown the Astro, Raven I & II.

I did a Private Licence in America a good few years ago but I am not current at the moment but plan on getting current soon, hence the need to buy my own aircraft.

I live in the West of Ireland and my home is right beside the sea but I have a large shed that would fit a R44. I have heard stories about Robinsons rusting easily ?

I would say I would fly no more than 75-100 hours a year and would use it only for flying in and around Ireland.
Also, do I need permission to have a fuel bowser at my house? The nearest airport to me with Avgas I believe is Galway Airport which is 40NM east of my home and the local papers say it will close soon so I think it is a must for me to have some sort of fuel arrangment at my home.

Thanks for advice.

Oh, forgot to mention aswell. I would like to spend no more than €230,000 if possible for ok machine? Thanks.

Sug
17th Aug 2012, 00:19
Forgot to ask aswell, what is the best websites for helicopters for sale ?
I have found afors.com but most helicopters seem to be in america or far away from Ireland. Does anyone know a good site ? Thanks

Arrrj
17th Aug 2012, 07:55
Raven II...no question.

Fuel - 40 nm in a helicopter is nothing. Whether you can have some at home would depend on your local council...or as many people I know, just don't tell anyone !

Good luck.

Arrrj

misterbonkers
17th Aug 2012, 08:20
Hi Sug,

R44 Raven2 is your best bet. Please check your Private Messages (top right hand corner).

Regards,

MB

Goody35
17th Aug 2012, 08:39
Having owned a Raven 1 and II ... A two is the better option ...added safety of more power and no carb ice issues ...especially in Ireland . Rusting is a big issue ..our II start rusting within 3 years of being brand new . Wash it down after every flight ..a quick hose down works. They rust around the landing lights, rivet line along the roof and on the underside of the rear hortz stabilizer fin . Just flying in damp air in a maritime environment puts fine particles of salt onto the body work. We now CRC the baldes and hose it down every day it flies

stringfellow
17th Aug 2012, 09:32
Can't really advise you on raven 1 v 2 but i feel they are both good machines and if you are flying mostly light then why not get a 1??? The raven 1 is better on fuel and cheaper to maintain, less to go wrong (no aux fuel pump).

But both are great depends on what bargain you can find really. But what i can say is get your own fuel and you wont look back. Traipsing to an airport is a major pain!!!!! And why would you need permission?? If you ask you generally get turned down.

All the best.

Soave_Pilot
17th Aug 2012, 11:08
Raven II for sure, more power and a bit faster. And try to get one w/ fuel bladders already, they are mandatory now.

RMK
17th Aug 2012, 14:23
Raven II is the choice; no carb ice problems and more power.

Regarding where to buy, give NAMA a call. I’m not making an “Irish economy” joke. Seriously, they actually have more planes/helicopters/jets than most people would believe.

mini
18th Aug 2012, 00:39
Regarding where to buy, give NAMA a call. I’m not making an “Irish economy” joke. Seriously, they actually have more planes/helicopters/jets than most people would believe.

NAMA would have got these assets via the banks, I believe the banks were actually quite switched on when valuing such stuff offered by defaulting developers against debts. Tales of N reg machines in particular being offered with major deficiencies in service history abound... :eek:

Caveat Emptor.

ferranbg
18th Aug 2012, 01:09
Hi,

I am also interested to get some knowledge about everything related with purchasing a Robinson machine and, once I got to know all the necessary info, maybe getting one myself.

I wonder how a second-handed is rated and how taxes apply when you don't want to flight it where you purchase it.

Any nice website for checking out some models?

Cheers

Evil Twin
18th Aug 2012, 04:43
Get a clipper or preferably a clipper 2, without the floats. Extra corrosion protection. Better than the usual Robinson rot box.

stringfellow
18th Aug 2012, 11:50
ferranbg. Drive up to sabbadel heliswiss always have plenty in the hangar. They are busy technicians but one of them may answer your questions!!! I think there may be a flight school go have a flying lesson!!!

Sug
18th Aug 2012, 13:20
I must say thanks very much for all the replies and all the messages. I have a lot to consider. I am booking a weekend in London, Denham to renew my pilot licence as my local pilot school is gone. I think I will be doing the flying on a Raven I over there so will see when I get flying her how I feel about it.
While I am on the subject, for 1/4 million, is there any other type of helicopter I could get ? I know turbines are awful dear but most of them seem very old. It has to be able carry 4 people at least. A 2 seater is no good to my family. The main reason I want the helicopter is to get myself from home to the east of the country and in the sunny season I would like it for family use for visiting hotels on weekends and islands etc.
Thanks again very much for all the information. Its really helpful. I have a neighbour who used to fly helicopters in the 1980's in Shannon so he is helping me look for one.
I did all my Private training on R44 in america. I did a few hours on a R22 in Galway years ago but 2 seater is no good to me.
Thanks for advice. oh and I will phone nama to see what they have for sale on there books.
Cheers

John R81
18th Aug 2012, 15:31
I would definitely go Clipper II. Better corrosion treatment. Where you live you cannot avoid the salty atmosphere. Wash down as suggested and dry it before you put it away. Think of using an electric heater under the machine.

I would look for a machine with high hours but plenty of years left. As a private owner you won't get many hours - often less than 50 - so a machine with only 300 hrs left to a rebuild will give yo 6 or more years use.

For example mine has 500 hrs left but will use then in 1.5 years. Buying a machine like that maintained to full AOC for commercial transport would save you on purchase cost then give you 5 or more years of use.

Take a look on Aircraft for sale: private Jets for sale, helicopters, piston planes (http://Www.avbuyer.com) to get an idea on price.

John

claudia
18th Aug 2012, 20:23
Sug, John R81 is indeed correct. But just remember to do your sums based on the fact that a timed out 44 is worth about 50k stg, So what is a high hour machine with 5 years remaining worth ? How much money would you be happy to write off per year.?

rigidkid
19th Aug 2012, 04:51
Sug, Hi Im currently flying a clipper II in oz...its a cracker of a machine to fly fuel injected is the only way to go!! my company has it up for sale...at the moment 780 hours and 2008 model Aircon, Garmin 296 all the extras...pm me for details if you like?;)

ferranbg
19th Aug 2012, 14:57
@stringfellow

Thanks for the answer.
In fact, I did my Commercial training down in Sabadell few years ago, I already know Heliswiss.

I just wonder, out of the curiosity, the rates differences between Robinsons acquired in different countries or even better between continents.

Would it be better to purchase in California and then shipping or is not worth than just going to the closest official dealer? Maybe finding a nice offer online?

sparx
19th Aug 2012, 16:18
Hey Sug,

Try giving AeroHeli a call & ask to speak to Dermot, he is one of the owners & is from Galway. He will give all the advice you need & possibly point you in right direction of a suitable Heli for sale.
He can also get you current again which may save you the trip to London!

Hope this helps!

Sparx.

AeroHeli details:- 61 Portaferry Road Newtownards, County Down BT23 8SG
028 9181 0445.

Sug
19th Aug 2012, 20:46
Thanks sparx. It's funny I just found that company aeroheli up the north. Looks like a good outfit. I will try and get in touch with that Galway lad you mentioned. Hard to find local galway chopper people. Someone seems to have a R44 at there house alot of the time in oughterard.
I will try to reply to your messages now. I just figured out how to use it. Thanks for the information. It is a massive help

baby spanner
19th Aug 2012, 23:07
sug.. if you are buying a helicopter this is the guy you need to talk to.

http://www.dmghelisales.co.uk/index.php/view-all-helis-for-sale