PDA

View Full Version : Microlight School Price Increase

WishesToFly
16th Aug 2012, 09:54
Hi.

I notice that Keith Reynolds from Rochester microlights has increased his hourly flying lesson rate from £110 to £120. He operates 2 fixed wing micros (the jabi & thruster) from Upminster.

I was wondering if a price increase is due to a rise in costs to the company (rent, fuel, insurance, rates etc) or if this is a sign that the school is less successful than it was or its facing challenging times.

I fully appreciate that times are tough in the economy and not as many people have the disposable income to compensate for the higher cost of flying in the UK.

I ask this question because I am thinking of taking a few lessons myself and was curious as to whether a price increase is normal for this type of industry or if this shows signs of something else.

Regards,

Alex

jjones666
16th Aug 2012, 10:08
my instructor made this exact price change 18 months ago also on jab thruster 600.

also since i started training other students have been very thin on the ground, instructor says it is the quietest he has known it in 8 years.

Heston
16th Aug 2012, 10:16
Not unusual, I don't think you need to see it as a sign of any deep malaise. However £120 is at the top end of what micro schools charge. I see that Saxon Microlights at North Weald train on the Thruster and charge £106 an hour according to their website Saxon Microlights - microlight flying lessons for Essex and London (http://www.saxonmicro.co.uk/)

H

Say Cheese
16th Aug 2012, 11:07
I'm learning with Light Sport Flying Club at Booker and am paying £125 an hour.
Yes, it's a little more expensive than some others I found but I am happy with the club as an overall too so took that into account when choosing.

jjones666
16th Aug 2012, 11:12
seems saxon also charge a yearly fee for club membership to students. this is £126 per annum.

say 20 lessons a year £126/20 = £6.30 *per lesson*

making £112.30 per lesson, also "possess mandatory 3rd party insurance for solo flight"

some schools charge for this, and from the pricing page it is not clear if insurance is included for solo flight if using the school machine or not.

Obi_Wan
16th Aug 2012, 11:22
I don't want to state the obvious, but you could just ask him.
"Keith, I'm interested in learning to fly but notice you've just had to put your rates up - why's that"

Could be a number of factors, but it'll make him aware that you've been keeping an eye out, and you never know, you might find out a lot about the school and his training as a result.

xrayalpha
16th Aug 2012, 14:30
Price rises are normal for any kind of industry which wants to stay in business - just ask the dairy farmers.

I don't know if you read the news, but the cost of everything is going up and has been going up at around 5% a year for the past few years.

So, theoretically, Keith should have put his rates up a fiver last year and another fiver this year.

Reality, as with us - at £125 per hour for the past three years - is we will soon be going up to £140-ish. And £250 club membership to include landing fees.

(We have no shortage of students, have told various advertisers - ie Yellow Pages - where to go and are now pruning back on any agencies we deal with so we concentrate on where we earn the profit.)

We always refuse to be the cheapest and concentrate on giving value for money.