PDA

View Full Version : BAK / PPL Exam ?!

alex79
15th Aug 2012, 12:45
Hi!

I was under the impression that the BAK exam is the PPL exam, but it seems that I'm wrong.

Where are the differences? What is the PPL Exam about?

Thanks for your help!

Capt Fathom
15th Aug 2012, 12:52
Surely your Flying School can answer that?

To have to ask here on a an Internet forum is some what embarrassing!

alex79
15th Aug 2012, 13:26
I will ask them tomorrow. Sorry that I had a question and asked.

VH-XXX
15th Aug 2012, 13:45
Yep, they are indeed different exams.

The BAK comes first and some would say it can be harder. It is usually set by the flying school and contains localised questions. The BAK is required to be able to obtain your GFPT which will enable you to fly with passengers in the training area of your flying school.

The PPL exam is standard across the board and is set by CASA. It is required usually before your final flight test for the issue of your PPL. I hope that answers your question and good luck.

MakeItHappenCaptain
15th Aug 2012, 13:46
Go to the CASA website and look up a document called the "Day VFR Syllabus".
This is what your training will be standardised to, so if your flying school has gotten you through to your BAK and you have never seen it, I would suggest they have been somewhat remiss.

You will find that if you rely on PPRuNe for your first port of call, ie. don't do a bit of research, ask your instructor, etc. you will encounter mild censure on this site. Sarcasm won't help.

system.of.a.down
15th Aug 2012, 23:48
If you plan to get your CPL then once you have passed the GFPT exam, I'd forget the PPL exam and go do the CPL exams instead. A pass in all CPL theory overrides the need to do the PPL exam, so why do an extra exam if you don't need to.

From what I remember there is quite a lot of content in the PPL, so you could easily get 3 or 4 CPL's done in the same study time frame.

triathlon
16th Aug 2012, 00:15
Why wouldn't you ask your instructor, Chief Flying Instructor or someone at the flying school this?
Are they unapproachable?
Just don't ask the cleaner!

Bonniciwah
16th Aug 2012, 03:24
There's no such thing as a stupid question. The good thing about forums like this is all questions and answers become a resource for people considering taking up flying.
I have gained plenty of valuable information from sites like this from people at the coal face. So there's nothing worse than seeing a question you can relate to only to see unhelpful answers like "ask your instructor".
Good luck Alex.

Homesick-Angel
16th Aug 2012, 23:30
Ignore the crusty old smart@rses on this site, and feel free to ask away. Try and hit search first tho.

Capt fathom sounds like he may have been starved of carnal pleasure for some time now, and his only joy is to flame unsuspecting newbies. Good on you cap'n.

the_rookie
17th Aug 2012, 02:17
take away a couple of letters from carnal pleasures, and your bang on!!
only joking capt. !!