PDA

View Full Version : Sunland Aviation, Brisbane - contact needed..

StrikerOneOne
15th Aug 2012, 11:10
Hi All,
I was a student of the now defunct Sunland Aviation at Archerfield in Brisbane, QLD. I moved overseas for work about 6 months in to my training there, and was unable to return for a few years... Unfortunately, I returned about 1-2 months after Sunland went belly up :(

Firstly, I just want to say how sad it is that they're gone - they were a great bunch of guys to fly with when I was there and its disappointing to see it all go bad... :(

My reason for this thread... I have restarted my flying in Sydney at Bankstown, with a great team of guys at my new place of training, very glad to be with them!

BUT -

I am trying to get hold of my old flying training records! I understand that there is provision under CASA legislation which requires the previous training organisations/CFI to keep student records on hand for up to 7 years (I think?)...

I have tried to get hold of Steve Maltby, who was listed in another thread here and even answered personally, but after a few emails from him promising to get these records to me or my new CFI, he's gone silent...

Has anyone got any other ideas who I can contact??? please post or PM me details and many thanks!!!

MakeItHappenCaptain
15th Aug 2012, 17:19
Brian Westin has started another school at AF under the banner "Southern Skies Aviation". 07 32770747

He has no further affiliation with Maltby and had no hand in Sunland going belly up, but may know where to point you.

Many people would be happy to know where Brian is now as the guy has a fantastic reputation and has helped many people into their careers and although he looks like the south end of a north bound orangutan:E, he is one of the best instructors in the industry.:ok:

Ps, records are supposed to be kept for 30+ years. You kill yourself down the track, CASA likes to do some digging.

StrikerOneOne
15th Aug 2012, 20:52
Many thanks for the reply! Glad to hear Brian is still on the scene, he was a really great guy and likewise, was of much assistance to me during my time there too! I will try to get in contact and hopefully resolve my issue today! Thanks again!

mates rates
18th Aug 2012, 08:55
The Sunland maintenance is still operating out of the hangar at the back of the flying school office.You may find the training files are still there somewhere in the office!Worth a look at least.Good luck!!

MakeItHappenCaptain
20th Sep 2012, 07:52
What the flock does Air Gold Coast have to do with Sunland?:confused:

An advise in this case seems more like an advertisment than advice.:rolleyes:

21st Sep 2012, 00:02
records are supposed to be kept for 30+ years

Any reference for this statement?

MCKES
21st Sep 2012, 00:54
I'm pretty sure it's closer to 10 years.

MakeItHappenCaptain
21st Sep 2012, 11:44
Nah, quoting Humphrey Maltman, but it's a bit hard to ask him where he got the figure from.

hiwaytohell
21st Sep 2012, 21:27
It is 7 years! Now it is both a requirement of Part 141 (Subpart 141.325(2)), and ASIC.

However when an operator goes bust the operator ceases to exist. The administrator, receiver or liquidator has no obligation to keep them. I feel this is real weakness in the system employed by CASA.

I have written to CASA several times since about 1996 on this very matter that there is no centralised electronic database for records... in CASA's defence they do not have the budget nor the resources... however it is still a deficiency!

I worked many years ago for an operator that went bust and decided to save all the old records that the liquidator was going to send to the tip. So it is possible someone from Sunland made the same effort. Mind you I also took 90% of those records to the tip as well after about 7 years. So don't wait too long to go out the AF and seriously ask around.