PDA

View Full Version : CASA ATPL Nav

Arch Angelos
15th Aug 2012, 04:11
Hey guys,

Just wanting someone who sat the exam recently to gimme a bit of a heads up on what to expect. How long did you all take to study for this one? Was it more theoretically based or calculation type questions?
From what I have heard I WILL be pressed for time in this one as 90 minutes is not long to get a lot of work done.

Have my AFT Distance Learning Notes, did everyone use those or is it worth me going and getting Rob Avery's stuff for this one?
(Note: I have purchased the Avery practise exams to supplement the AFT stuff)

I have finished the first section thus far on all the radio waves, the instrumentation, IRS, GPS, encoders and radars etc. Seems very detailed? Did you all get alot of questions on that? I have struggled a tad to understand a bit of it and found my self googling things since there weren't many diagrams.

Thanks for the advice in advance guys.

kingRB
15th Aug 2012, 05:30
G'day dude,

I sat it a couple months ago, used AFT notes and also extra Avery practice exams. Studied about 2 weeks. The AFT notes are excellent and cover everything you need. There is some more complex stuff in the Avery exams on map stuff which I had NFI about, but never saw any of that in the exam anyway.

There is an even spread of both the theoretical knowledge stuff and also the calculation questions (bigger marks) like PSD/ETP's etc toward the end of the exam. I did find I was running out of time and by the end I did not have enough time to accurately calculate the last complex big mark question. Still got through even though I believe I got it incorrect.

I think it's always pot luck what type of questions you will get, but I will note I had 3 very complex ETA / ETD time questions based on curfews where you cross the international date line including a layover delay at another enroute port. Make sure you can work these out accurately while under time pressure. You can easily muck them up when working under pressure. They were worth 3 or 4 marks each so you do not want to get them wrong.

Good luck :ok:

Arch Angelos
16th Aug 2012, 03:25
kingRB many thanks for the info :ok: will take it all onboard. Getting through it now, gave myself exactly 2 weeks to get ready for this one as I am on a bit of schedule with flying/work commitments.

Hopefully it all goes smoothly, the theory is extremely dry more so than AASA which I actually really enjoyed studying there for a bit, especially the BGT stuff.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

morno
16th Aug 2012, 07:44
I don't know if anyone else finds this technique helpful, but it got me through all my ATPL exams.

The second the exam loads, go straight to your highest mark questions. Get them all done, take your time with them, do them accurately. Work backwards until you're just left with the 1 markers. These should be the one's that you either know or you don't, simple case of read the question, click the answer.

I got a fairly even spread of questions in my Nav exam.

Do all of the AFT practice exams, they're gold!

morno

cabzjet
20th Aug 2012, 06:56
some info here

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/471515-australian-casa-atpl-navigation-exam.html