PDA

View Full Version : Clear Area at 5500' for limited flight testing: central Alpine Europe

biz-buz
14th Aug 2012, 14:04
Hello all high altitude Rotorheads, I am desperately trying to find a clear level site at 5500' (but not below) to validate my new Clear Area Takeoff and Landing Weight charts for the AS355F2R (AS355F2 with RR 250-C20R engines fitted). The new charts give between 0 and 300kg extra payload on the current Chart 1 values in FMS 11.2 depending on the ambient conditions.

I have tried Samedan who initially seemed to be wilco, but due to abuse in the past (Eurocopter I believe) they only allow an impossibly short time in very restricted months

I need to amend my Flight Test plan straight away as I am trying to do this in Week 38, ie week commencing 17th Sept. If anybody knows of any temporary glider sites, Microlight strips, or just a clear level area which might be suitable, I would be very grateful for the location and contact details of the owner/administrator, so I can try and fix up the flying as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance, for any ideas or pointers:ok:

Gordy
14th Aug 2012, 16:52
Try Riverton--- it is 5528' but close enough huh....?

Riverton, WY (http://www.airnav.com/airport/KRIW)

biz-buz
14th Aug 2012, 19:29
Thanks Gordy, my fault, I should have said that I am only interested in Europe, and more particularly in central Alpine Europe, I have an Austrian AS355, the Helipad checks are to be done in Austria, so I need to have somewhere in the local area of Central Europe to fly from. I probably need about a day's flying to shoot a couple of takeoffs and landings, missed approaches and takeoffs and any combination of stop start, go arounds etc.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thread title edited
SP

aerolearner
15th Aug 2012, 12:07
Hello,

As a disclaimer, I have no rotorcraft experience. However, as a student glider pilot I am getting familiar with a list of possible alternate landing fields in the Alps.

If you are looking for locations higher than 5500ft besides Samedan, the options would be:
- Passo del tonale (N46°15'32" E010°35'10"), 6200ft high and 1150m long (sloping runway)
- Livigno (N46°32'40" E010°08'35"), 5938ft high and 300m long

I have no further info about Livigno.
Here you can find the details about Passo del Tonale:
http://www.aipm.it/UploadDocs/257_Mappa_Tonale.pdf
The point of contact is the management company of Trento airport (http://www.aeroportocaproni.it/).

There are a couple more fields between 5000 and 5500ft and helipads above 5500ft but I understand they would not fulfill your needs.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

aerolearner

sycamore
15th Aug 2012, 15:29
B-B, have you tried Alpe D`Huez, 6102 ft,450 m strip,paved ,fuel..? For what it`s worth ,I did some early Gazelle testing in `72 at Saillagouse,nr Andorra; it`s about 4600 ft,airfield and Armee ALAT training base; there`s also a grass strip/gliders at La Llagone,about 20km NE of S`GSE at about 5500ft.No contacts ,sorry...

Sorry,I know it`s not the `ALPS`,just an Alternative...

biz-buz
15th Aug 2012, 21:55
Thanks AeroL and Sycamore, your ideas are great. I think on balance the Italian options are easier than the French ones, but only as the remainder of the flying is taking place in Austria, ie close by. The Flight testing is actually being validated by the French team from Istres (via EASA) so La Llagonne or the other French site might be a good option but more transit time!

I will have a look at all options thank you both for your ideas. BB

HeliTester
16th Aug 2012, 00:54
Check out Mont-Louis La Quillane Airport (QZE), Mont-Louis, France. I think the elevation is about right, but can't remember what runway surface is like. Many gliders operate there.

sycamore
16th Aug 2012, 10:07
H-T,B-B; Mont-louis is LFNQ,5610 FT,unpaved 1000m,private ,and no mention of fuel etc...from an old book..

biz-buz
17th Aug 2012, 14:34
Just to bring you up to date (AeroL), I have talked to the Italian authorities at Trento and apparently only their mountain rescue teams (SAR type) are allowed to land above 1600m so that effectively blocks out anything in the northern area, excepting I suppose any private strips or HLS type sites. Thanks Sycamore for the French options, but if possible I woudl rather not have to transit over here to do that, perhaps as a last option but otherwise I would rahter use central europe.

I have tried ot look for glider sites or any Hang Gliding sites but cannot find any register for these. Any clues anybody?? I do not have a GPS aviation program, so cannot find minor airfields etc, I will look for an Android App perhaps there is something free lurking somewhere. I cannot believe there is nothing out there! :ugh: