PDA

View Full Version : Calibration of mil airfields? FAA presence at IAT, RIAT

chopper2004
14th Aug 2012, 12:53
Having a quick browse on Airliners.net was amazed to see how the FAA always had a presence at RIAT and the old IAT from Greenham Common days. I saw a photo of a Challenger at RIAT 2003 on that web (I ddint see it on display even though I was there attending that year on the sat - first time since 1997).

I've been attending RIAT every year religiously since 03, and haven't seen any of the FAA jets.

I take it the FAA calibrates / inspects all, USAF, USN, USMC, USA, USCG airbases worldwide and international airport. I was under the impression at one time the USAF had HS125 /C-29 to all that, previously using the classic Sabreliner.

Has anyone seen FAA presence at RIAT lately? I havent seen one on static display.

Also of note interesting to see photos of FAA classic C-47 Skytrain doing its rounds at the old Berlin Tempelhof at the height of the Cold War as well as Convairs and Sabreliners.

I;ve also seen a photo on airliners.net of our CAA' HS125 lifting off from the old Greenham during a IAT. I'm not even sure if the CAA have any calibration aircraft of their own or contract it out?

Cheers

BigDan
14th Aug 2012, 13:36
I can only remember the FAA doing an ILS calibration at RIAT once maybe twice.

Looking through my thousands of shots, N86, a white Challenger did a few approaches before landing and taxiing to a couple of points on the airfield to check ground equipment. It came in and departed on the 13th July, 2011, I don't think it stayed for the weekend. tbh, I can't seem to remember another visit during the show build, certainly not when the public were on base, but then again, I'm a relative newbie, having only stayed near the base for the past 14years. :ooh:

aw ditor
14th Aug 2012, 15:15
UK "calibration" contracted out many moons ago.