PDA

View Full Version : Converting Jaa commercial licence to Faa Commercial licence

sirworksalot
14th Aug 2012, 01:08
Hey guys..I'm new on here, but I have a question I'm hoping you can help me out with..

I'm planning on moving to America due family reasons, I have 1700 hours TT and a JAA commercial ATPL licence. My question is what is the process for me to be able to fly commercially in America ?.... If any of you guys have gone down this route I would very much appreciate any light you can shed on this subject for me..
ie. whats involved in converting my licence.

B2N2
17th Aug 2012, 13:37
Forget about the FAA Commercial, it is quicker, easier and cheaper to go straight for the ATP.
14 CFR 61.153(d)(3) allows you to take the FAA ATP checkride while holding an ICAO CPL or ATP.
[(3) Holds either a foreign airline transport pilot license with instrument privileges, or a foreign commercial pilot license with an instrument rating, that--
(i) Was issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation; and
(ii) Contains no geographical limitations.(e) Meet the aeronautical experience requirements of this subpart that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought before applying for the practical test;]

The entire regulation is here:
FAR Part 61 Sec. 61.153 effective as of 10/20/2009 (http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/0/1258250AAE0311AD86257894004DEF88?OpenDocument&Highlight=61.153)

Make sure you meet the requirements, take the single written test and go for it.

Tinstaafl
17th Aug 2012, 18:03
Not sure whether you have a JAA commercial or JAA ATPL. Not that it really matters. As the previous poster wrote, if you can, go straight for the FAA ATP.
* Go through the TSA insecurity lunacy unless you hold US citizenship
* One theory exam. Self study is easy and can take only a few days if you're switched on
* A Cl. 1 medical (can be a lower class but you may as well find out if there's an issue. Very much doubt it if you hold a JAA medical. It's quick, easy & cheap compared to JAA)
* A checkride. No need for an FAA instructor recommendation for the ATP. Or even any training *however* unless you're very familiar with the US system you won't pass the oral part of the test without some training. Also recommended for the flying part unless you've flown here a fair bit. Things are just 'different' eg US uses TERPS criteria for their approach procedures & design, not PANS-OPS.

sirworksalot
29th Aug 2012, 23:50
Thanks for the info guys ;)... could I apply for jobs in American once I have recieved the Faa ATP.. or is there more requirements involved before being able to apply..this is all brand new territory for me so any advice no matter how small would be great ..
Thanks in advance !!

MarkerInbound
30th Aug 2012, 03:21
To hold a job you'll need US citizenship or be a resident alien (a "green card" holder.)

Tinstaafl
30th Aug 2012, 03:34
The short, and most likely, answer for most people is 'No, you aren't able to work in the US' if you just get an FAA licence.

The long answer is that, like just about every country, you need to be citizen of the country or hold a visa that permits you to work in that country. No different to someone from the US wanting to work in another country. You said you were moving here? Under what visa and what are the conditions attached to your visa? That will answer your question better.

sirworksalot
4th Sep 2012, 15:51
Thanks for the reply guys.. I will be moving there with a green card..other than the Faa ATP, medical and hours required is there any other requirements needed to work there ..?..all my hours to date are on the ATR turboprop what are the chances of moving onto a jet job (1700 hrs plus).. anyone with Turboprop time fill me in on typical pay for Turboprop pilots?....

B2N2
5th Sep 2012, 19:27
google is your friend Sir-doesn't-look-up-a-lot....:E

No RYR for me
10th Dec 2012, 11:33
Does the US also have a frozen ATP like we have in Europe? In other words can you use the ATP conversion route if a candidate has a JAA CPL with let say 300 hours?

S-Works
10th Dec 2012, 11:38
Does the US also have a frozen ATP like we have in Europe?

We don't have a 'frozen' ATPL in Europe either. We have a CPL/IR with an ATPL exam pass that is colloquially referred to as a 'frozen' ATPL....

In the US they observe ICAO, you get the hours, you take the exam you get an ATP Certificate. JAA/EASA Gold plating of 500hrs multi crew not required.

B2N2
10th Dec 2012, 12:54
Does the US also have a frozen ATP like we have in Europe? In other words can you use the ATP conversion route if a candidate has a JAA CPL with let say 300 hours?

You can always take the FAA ATP written test but it holds no value whatsoever if you do not have the hours. Test expires in 24 months.

Tinstaafl
10th Dec 2012, 17:41
Slight correction: I'm pretty sure that the 24 month validity is (or can be) extended as long as you're employed by an Air Carrier.

sirworksalot
10th Dec 2012, 18:43
hey guys anyone know where there is an ATR simulator in America ?... as part of the JAA to FAA conversion I've been told that I could do the flight exam in an ATR category D type simulator which would also mean the ATR type rating would also tranfer over.

B2N2
11th Dec 2012, 12:36
Yes, we do know....
Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ATR+simulators+United+States)