PDA

View Full Version : Banner Towing Operations!

TOUCH-AND-GO
13th Aug 2012, 12:35
Good day Fellow Ppruners,

Would really appreciate any information regarding banner towing ops!

Just interested to know what are the minimum requirements you need to conduct this type of operation?

Who could you go to, to get adequate training to safely conduct towing operations?

I've tried searching this forum and CASA's website page, but for some odd reason can't access their PDF files at the moment. :}

Thank you,

T&G :ok:

seneca208
13th Aug 2012, 20:33
There was actually an advertisement in a Brisbane newspaper about a job for it. He offered endorsement training (paid by the pilot of course) then the chance to do some flying. Maybe give them a call and ask?

OpsNormal
13th Aug 2012, 22:59
There is an instructor at Curtis Aviation in Camden (at the last I heard of him he was still there) by the name of Jim Drinnan. Suggest contacting him through Curtis and ask him if Skysigns is still running or at least where you might be able to do some training. He/they might be able to point you in the right direction if they no longer operate/do the training. I trained with them 12+ years ago and did some banner work in a Maule after it.

Regards,

OpsN.;)

chimbu warrior
14th Aug 2012, 07:57
There is an operator in Perth (ask around) who is probably Australia's most experienced banner towing pilot (25+ years) and has training approval. Best to train with someone who does it for a living.

Anthill
14th Aug 2012, 09:32
I did Banner Towing some years ago--one of my many talents! It's a good, fun way to make a crust. Just becareful of opposite direct traffic when flying down the beach at 500'!

Minimum requirements are CPL and CASA approval to conduct operations. I susspect that some of the 'training organisations' are after some aircraft utilisation, rather than training some body to use as a casual.

Scams aren't confined to Nigeria.

ForkTailedDrKiller
14th Aug 2012, 09:47
Yeah, I used to do a bit of banner towing in a former life also. Checked out with the experienced operator that we bought the banner from - and away we went, towing with a C172.

Not a problem as long as you are comfortable flying around at low airspeed.

Most important thing is to check the "dump" mechanism before every flight! :ok:

Dr :8

kingRB
14th Aug 2012, 10:50
how is the initial "pick up" done?

I think I once heard was something along the lines of dragging the tow line along the departure strip while airborne and you somehow jag the banner which is propped up ready to go? Sounded interesting.

Deaf
14th Aug 2012, 11:16
Crude diagram

Banner-------------------<a/c

-- is towline

a/c heads towards banner and takes off before banner, towline rolls banner back over itself and up.

No dragging banner along ground

NNB
14th Aug 2012, 11:21
find Dave Prosser on MB airport: he's done heaps of hours towing banners. He worked for Glen Buckley's flying school last time I saw him.

ForkTailedDrKiller
14th Aug 2012, 11:28
Crude diagram
-- is towline
a/c heads towards banner and takes off before banner, towline rolls banner back over itself and up.
No dragging banner along ground

Yup - that's it!

I have also seen it done by picking up a line looped between two poles by an aircraft towing a grapling hook on the end of a tow line. Was one of the pre-race entertainments at the Surfers Paradise raceway - had an airstrip in the middle of the racetrack!

Dr :8

TOUCH-AND-GO
14th Aug 2012, 12:13
There was actually an advertisement in a Brisbane newspaper about a job for it. He offered endorsement training (paid by the pilot of course) then the chance to do some flying. Maybe give them a call and ask?

Ben you don't happen to be referring to Ozibanners by any chance are you?
Because I've given them a call and sent them an email but unfortunately no reply. Thanks anyway champ :)

Crude diagram

-- is towline
Is this the only a banner can be picked up? I've heard people elaborate on how a banner can roll out once in flight. Or would this cause dramatic aerodynamic instability?

Thank you very much to the rest of you gentleman, appreciate the info!

Lodown
14th Aug 2012, 15:16
They do a lot of banner flying in Miami, Florida in modified Cubs. As Dr Killer mentions, the pilots snag the towline, pull up steeply and then bunt as the banner starts to lift off the ground. Banner comes up very gently as the pilots arc over. Quite often they return with kites and kite strings in the banners too (more offshore winds there), drop one banner, fly a circuit and pick up another.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT1LXKOai3Q&feature=related

flyliberty1
15th Aug 2012, 19:51
Anyone have any info on how many hours TT banner tow companies usually hire in the US? Just a ballpark reference, I don't even have my CPL yet and am trying to figure out if getting tailwheel is worth it, considering not a lot of funds.
Thanks!

metalman2
15th Aug 2012, 23:09
Anyone have any info on how many hours TT banner tow companies usually hire in the US? Just a ballpark reference, I don't even have my CPL yet and am trying to figure out if getting tailwheel is worth it, considering not a lot of funds.
Thanks!

Not sure on the other questions,,,,, but getting a tailwheel endorsement is always worth it! :-)

rioncentu
16th Aug 2012, 00:23
Perth - Banner Towing - Hmm wouldn't happen to be good old GW would it?

if so, yes seen many a pickup by him. Well done that man !

OZBUSDRIVER
16th Aug 2012, 04:19
Still think snatch launching is cheating:E

Checkboard
16th Aug 2012, 09:50
I once heard that an air pickup can carry a 30% larger banner than ground launch for the same aircraft. More letters to sell :)