PDA

View Full Version : Fishburn

Flying low again
12th Aug 2012, 20:42
Hello all, I am considering taking a PA32 Lance into Fishburn, co Durham over the next couple of weeks (weather permitting).
Having never taken a PA32 onto grass before I was wondering if anyone has ever operated a large single into Fishburn before, and if so how did you find the strip? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Genghis the Engineer
12th Aug 2012, 21:09
I've never taken anything bigger than a heavyish PA28 into there, but never found that I needed more than half the runway in that. The grass stops you, and the slope gets you off again!

Lovely spot, great views, very friendly, and fuel always seems to be available, even if food isn't beyond a reliable cup of tea.

I imagine that a PA32 on grass is much like a PA28 on grass. Can be a little squirrelly below 40kn if the grass is wet, requiring you to be quite active on your feet. The standard safety factors for grass work reliably, keep the stick fully back to improve braking on landing, and use two stages of flap for take-off.

G

flybymike
12th Aug 2012, 22:27
I have never flown a PA32 at all but have taken my C206 in there a few times. The 206 is probably a better short field performer than the PA32, but at 800 metres I would not have thought the field would be much of a problem for most GA stuff. Without any doubt at all the uphill runway (08) is far preferable for landing, almost to the point where it is worth choosing a day when the wind is in a suitable direction. The hill is deceptively steep and long.

DeltaV
13th Aug 2012, 06:06
Erm, the upslope is 26 not 08.

NorthSouth
13th Aug 2012, 08:11
26 has the longer upslope but the first 100m+ of 08 is also an upslope. Great for 26 take-offs but not so good for those that land long and fast on 26 and then reach the brow of the hill :eek:
NS

flybymike
13th Aug 2012, 11:20
Erm, the upslope is 26 not 08.
Oops! You are quite right. I opened my guide and looked at the runway numbers upside down! (Also done that in the air as well, even more embarrassing)
However, now the following post has me baffled. Presumably you mean great for 08 departures?

NorthSouth
13th Aug 2012, 11:40
Presumably you mean great for 08 departures?Well, it works both ways but I was mainly thinking of a marginal performance take-off on 26, where the downslope in the last 100+ metres could be very helpful in terms of both acceleration and outclimbing the terrain.
NS

F4TCT
14th Aug 2012, 17:30
I used to fly a Cherokee 140 out of Fishburn and always used 26 to land and take off. You get a sort of ski jump effect nearer the top of the slope on take off.

I've also seen a PA32 go in and out of there, not sure of passengers or fuel load but it seemed to manage ok.

Tried landing on 08 but im one of those landing long guys so never worked for me.

Dan