PDA

View Full Version : 777's and a puff of smoke

Desk Driver
5th Apr 2002, 11:32
Let me put on the annorack a minute.

Right, working up at LGW yesterday I watched a few of the many 777's departing on 8R and after rotation at about 150 - 200 feet with gear in motion there was a small puff of black smoke from an engine. It appeared to be happening on all airlines and not just on one particular engine type.

I'm not scare mongering because it happened on everyone and seemed normal, I was just wondering what it might be.

And while I'm at it whats the small panel on a DC10 under the secound door on the left that looks like its twisted out or in, could that be air-con or APU associated?

Annorak off

Thanks

tinyrice
5th Apr 2002, 12:04
Are you sure its from the engines and not the gear? When the gears retracting ( on Boeing/Douglas products, don't know about Airbus), the brakes get applied to reduce the gyroscopic effect of the wheels. The puff of smoke may have been brake dust.The odd looking panel on the DC10 is the cabin outflow valve.

Desk Driver
5th Apr 2002, 12:14
I honestly can't say it was engine and brakes sound very plausible Thanks

gas path
5th Apr 2002, 13:44
It's the ADPs (air driven hyd. pumps) cutting in when the gear is retracted.
If you look closely you'll see that it's from the l/h side

Desk Driver
5th Apr 2002, 13:55
Thanks GP.

I did notice it on the left only but thought I might be making an arse of myself if I got too in depth on something I new nothing about.

Jet II
5th Apr 2002, 14:11
The small panel under door 2 left on the Death Cruiser is the outflow valve for the cabin presurisation

:D

edited for lousey spelling

:mad: