PDA

View Full Version : XA 934 Memorial Service.

JanotLapin
12th Aug 2012, 10:02
It is nearly 50 years since XA 934 crashed at Combrook.I would like to organise a Memorial Service.I approached the Vicar of Gaydon,and he was not very interested,I have not had a reply from the Vicar of Combrook.It needs to be on the second of October,or near to that date.Anyone who would like to come please e mail me.My e mail is [email protected] am John [Shingles] McVey.

BALLSOUT
12th Aug 2012, 10:24
2nd October 1962 Victor B1 XA934 232OCU Nr Gaydon - RAF Forum (http://rafforum.activeboard.com/t10418133/2nd-october-1962-victor-b1-xa934-232ocu-nr-gaydon/)

Tankertrashnav
12th Aug 2012, 15:55
John, my email address is on the home page of the V-Force Reunion (http://www.vforcereunion.co.uk/index.html) website. If you want to send an email on the subject to me I can forward it to my fairly extensive reunion address list which will include quite a few who were around at the time.

TTN

Pontius Navigator
12th Aug 2012, 18:08
Janot, the association to which I belong had a similar problem. In Guernsey we had an officiating chaplain, a lay-preacher and a vicar. In France it was a different issue and they could not get a local priest to lead. They got around the problem with the son of an association member who, although English, was a minister with the French Army.

As you have had no interest from the local parishes have you considered seeking help from home? You might also consider the Air Command chaplancy service who may offer advice too.

JanotLapin
13th Aug 2012, 06:27
Hi Doug,thanks for the update.Edward Gwinnell,the second pilot,was in good health about two years ago.Are you able to come to the Memorial?All the best John McVey

JanotLapin
13th Aug 2012, 06:39
Hello there,I am not familiar with the website you suggest,so I will just reply here.Can you come to the memorial service?It will be in early October,at a place yet to be decided.As the Gaydon church are not interested,suppose we have it at The Malt Shovel?John McVey

JanotLapin
13th Aug 2012, 06:57
Dear Pontius Navigator.Thanks for the suggestions.I will follow them up.John McVey

JanotLapin
13th Aug 2012, 08:33
Dear Tankertrashnav,I have tried to find your e mail address on the "V" Force reunion site,but can't.Would you e mail me please? John McVey

Tankertrashnav
13th Aug 2012, 15:27
Email duly sent - my apologies for mis-directing you.

JanotLapin
28th Aug 2012, 10:45
John Bishop of the motor museum at Gaydon has arranged that the Land Rover Gatehouse will be available at 11 am on the 2nd of October,for a wreath laying ceremony.John McVey

Wander00
28th Aug 2012, 10:55
Are you guys still seeking a Chaplain for this service. Have you tried the RAF Chaplains Association - Home (http://www.rafchaplainsassociation.co.uk/)

JanotLapin
28th Aug 2012, 13:30
I tried the and the person I e mailed said it was "Out of his jurisdiction."He also gave me the Gaydon vicar's name.But as I said before,he didn't seem very interested.

By the way,the wreath laying will be at the Land Rover Gatehouse.

JanotLapin
28th Aug 2012, 14:55
Hello again,it seems this website has been got at.The service will be at the L a n d R o v e r gatehouse. At 11 AM on the 2nd of October.

GreenKnight121
30th Aug 2012, 02:04
Yes, this site seems to hate a certain British vehicle name.

JanotLapin
12th Sep 2012, 10:20
Final arrangements for the crew of XA 934 Memorial.Go to the Heritage Motor Museum car park,the one at the top of the hill,not the tarmaced one.Wait in the Motor Museum reception building,again,at the top of the hill.A minibus will arrive to take you to the L a n d R o v e r gate house where the wreath laying will be at 11 AM on the second of October.I hope you will be able to attend.

JanotLapin
16th Sep 2012, 15:45
Take the turning to the Motor Heritage Motor Museum.Go to the Gaydon Site Visitors Reception carpark,the sandy one with puddles near the first roundabout.Wait in the Gaydon Visitors Reception office,a small building,again near the first roundabout.Wait for the minibus there to take you to the Gatehouse.I will be there at 10 AM to greet you.The wreathlaying will be at 11 AM.

JanotLapin
18th Sep 2012, 06:53
Final program. 11 AM wreath laying at the Gatehouse.
11.30.Prayers at Gaydon Church.Followed by refreshments.Followed by a walk to the churchyard,to view the 13 Military graves.
12.30 Followed by lunch at The Malt Shovel,at Gaydon for those who wish to do so.It is near the church.For bookings ring 01926 641221.

a1g1z1art
24th Sep 2012, 18:06
Went to the Wreath laying today Thanks John for organizing that.

I did visit the crash site last friday and again on saturday. Still very painful memories for those involved and moving as well for those like myself who were not.

Remembering Flight Lieutenant Noel Edward Cooke Pilot Officer John Anthony Cotteridge Flying Officer Douglas Frank Haynes today 50 years after the loss of XA934

JanotLapin
4th Oct 2012, 08:21
I would like to thank those who helped organise the event and those who attended.John Bishop of The heritage Motor Museum.Paul Cowley for allowing us to use the Minibus.Chris Corner,Jo Hotchkiss,and Tony Upton,an Ex Royal Navy chaplain who read out Edward Gwinnell's letter in the gatehouse,and led prayers at Gaydon Church.
Those who attended were.Tony Upton,Penny Upton,John Fleming,Cy Turner,John McVey,Jane McVey,John Pethard,Ruth Pethard,Joe Irving,Joe Roberts,Nigel Jenkinson,Roger Horsley [Chaplain],Paul Cowley.And last but not leasst,Jo Hotchkiss.Thank you Jo for all that you did.
At Gaydon Church.Tony Upton led the Prayers,and later refreshments were served.Several parishioners attended,including one who remembered Wellington Bombers flying over the village.Appologies to anyone I've left out.John [Shingles]McVey.

JanotLapin
6th Oct 2012, 16:09
Did anyone get a photo at the wreathlaying? If so I would be most grateful for a copy .My e mail is above.John [Shingles] McVey