PDA

View Full Version : UK Wirestrike Incidents/accidents

pba_target
11th Aug 2012, 14:20
Chaps,

As part of an ongoing project, I'm after UK accidents and incidents relating to wirestrikes. I'd be grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of anything, as the more information I can get, the better.

In addition, can anyone think of any group of aviators (rotary or other) that are particularly susceptible to wire-strike, excluding military low flying (again thinking UK Ops really)?

Cheers for the help all,

Regards,

Target

Helinut
11th Aug 2012, 22:36
pba,

The best source of data in the UK is the Safety Data Analysis Unit of the CAA. They may well be called something slightly different these days. Especially if the data is needed for "flight safety" purposes, I have always found them very helpful: they handle all the MORs etc and flight hours data too.

Your question about the most "at risk" group is interesting. The data should give you the answer. The most at hazard would presumably be the electricity operators (National Grid & WPD) but they manage that risk so well that their wire strike rate is pretty low. It is a largely known environment for those guys. I suspect in the UK that every day ordinary VFR flight ops have more wire strikes than any particular activity.

The CAA effectively prohibit some more extreme wire-flying in the UK that is done in other places like France and the USA. Don't just limit yourself to UK if you want to get the full picture.

The AAIB will be able to give you UK accidents, of course. You will need the CAA for flight data.

pba_target
12th Aug 2012, 20:40
Helinut - Thanks for the suggestions. I thought about pipeline/Wires inspection, but I figured because they fly a fixed route, surely it will be recce'd half to death anyhow.

The reason for the study is to justify some expenditure for the greater good of UK aviation really, so the stats that are significant really are only the uk ones, as the block-headed bean counters will only listen to those.

Cheers for the help so far, any more guys?

OvertHawk
12th Aug 2012, 22:23
i would suggest a couple of days at a desk / on the internet trawling through the AAIB archives would give you a pretty representative picture of UK wire-strike incidents. (or give AAIB a call - if you've got a legitimate reason for asking then they may furnish you with the data without you having to wade through all the reports).

The MOR database might also prove helpful if you have access to it.

OH

Brilliant Stuff
13th Aug 2012, 12:46
[email protected] are the MOR people who you can ask about any MOR questions.