PDA

View Full Version : Q for Modular people.

Lil'KiwiPaddy
5th Apr 2002, 10:44
Hi all,

I'm currently at uni in Auckland and am working on my PPL in my spare time. I'm considering going to South Africa to build up some multi hours then after uni getting my (f)ATPL and CPL/IR back home in Europe.

I'm interested to know if having licences and ratings from various different authorities would impede my chances when it comes to the job-hunt, or is it relatively normal for modular people?.

Thanks

LKP
:p

Gin Slinger
5th Apr 2002, 11:32
I would have thought the only requirement is that your CPL and IR are JAR-issued, assuming you want to work in Europe.

I believe that although a Spanish issued JAR fATPL is just as valid as a UK one, once you have started in one JAR country's system, you have to complete all the individual components of the fATPL with them, i.e. you can't have a Dutch-issued JAR CPL and an Italian-issued JAR IR.

Anything done outside JAR would more likely than not just count as hour building, meaning there's little point gaining a South Africa CPL, for example.

miss magenta
5th Apr 2002, 15:43
Gin Slinger

I dont think that your info. is 100% correct. As I understand it, you must complete the theory exams and the CPL skill test under one Aviation Authority. The IR and any other ratings you wish to add can be done at any Jar approved FTO.
I have looked into this very carefully as I will be doing just that. Amazingly both the DGAC and the CAA agreed on this!!

Gin Slinger
5th Apr 2002, 16:57
M Magenta - thanks - I didn't know that!

The impression I was given (by a UK flight school I might add - maybe trying to protect their business??.....) that was it was necessary to have all your ratings issued by the same authority to 'unfreeze' your ATPL.

Can you confirm that I fed BS?