PDA

View Full Version : Schools with IR instruction on a Grumman AA-5B

Ultranomad
10th Aug 2012, 19:26
When buying an IFR-equipped AA-5B last year, silly me expected to take the IR training in my own plane. So, the CAA in Czech Republic (where G-NODE is currently based) reminded me that it would require an FTO approved to operate AA-5Bs for IR instruction. Does anyone know of any such schools in the EU with a non-outrageous instructor rate? (Criteria of outrage: the late Cabair quoted me something like :mad: £90 per hour to instruct me in my own appropriately insured aircraft :ugh:).

Genghis the Engineer
10th Aug 2012, 20:12
If you've not started yet, it might be easiest to find a good school and ask them to add your aeroplane to the books.

this is my username
10th Aug 2012, 20:20
It's only in the warped world of aviation where anyone would consider £90 per hour to be an outrageous charge-out rate for someone with the level of qualifications required for IR training.

Ultranomad
10th Aug 2012, 20:36
this is my username, with all due respect, I only consider it outrageous because they would have paid their instructors less than half of this amount. If I knew a one-man FTO that would charge me the same £90 per hour for certified IR instruction, I'd pay it happily, knowing that I'm getting my money's worth. In fact, that's what a friend of mine admitted to be his hourly wage as an A320 captain and instructor.

Ultranomad
10th Aug 2012, 20:55
Genghis the Engineer, it's only easy if there is at least one aircraft of this type already registered in the respective country. There are no Grummans registered in Czech Republic, and to have mine added to the books of my favourite FTO, I'd first have to bring to CAA my own weight in airworthiness and maintenance documentation, then wait until they read it all.

Genghis the Engineer
10th Aug 2012, 20:56
I certainly know an excellent IRI who teaches routinely on an AA5a, but he doesn't work in a school that currently has IR initial approvals. I'll PM you his PPrune username in case you can find a way to use him.