PDA

View Full Version : EK Aircraft Engineer

tangpig
10th Aug 2012, 17:33
Last month EK was here in Vancouver looking for licenced engineer. I've been a licenced engineer for more than ten years with A330/340 B777-200/300 and B747-200/400 approval. I really need some detailed info about the position upthere in Dubai. What does engineer's work enviroment look like? How many flights do engineers signoff on one shift? What kind of accommodation is engineer entitled? And I'm sure I will have more questions coming up later on.
Thanks for your reply.

birdieonfirst
11th Aug 2012, 06:57
I think it has all to do with our rumoured expansion in Canada with daily Toronto and 3 or 5 weekly flights to Vancouver. Count yourself lucky to be able to work from home in Vancouver should you be offered the job.

Guess you'll be turning around 3 to five A/C a WEEK...

:ok:BOF

J.L.Seagull
14th Aug 2012, 07:00
Hi tangpig,

I was an engineer with EK until a few months ago. Am now F/O with another carrier. Spent 17 yrs at EK, with the last 6 - 7 yrs as an engineer. Absolutely loved it there. Great colleagues, great support from mgmt (atleast in my dept). I left because I wanted to fly.

It all depends on where you get posted.

i.e.
Line Maint: turnarounds, weekly checks, flying duties)
Base Ops: A-checks, AOG's (including outstation), non-scheduled major jobs (engine chg, LDG chg, etc)
or Base Heavy: C-chks and D-chks

Work pattern in LM & B/Ops is 2 days, 2 nights, 4 off's. (0600-1800)
Resources are definitely limited: i.e. lack of manpower, not enough vehicles, etc. so you will feel pushed at times. However, tools and spares are never a problem. The facilities are impressive.

You may be required to do a lot of overtime, and it's not ENTIRELY at your descretion. You do need to put in the extra time when asked/told. Expect to work on atleast 1 of your 4 off days, everytime (in L/M). Having said that, no one will force you to work when genuinely tired/fatigued.

Brace yourself for the temperatures. 50degC in summer on the ramp for up to 4 months!

In L/M, you end up signing from 5 to 13 aircraft per shift. 8-10 is an average figure.

Post 2008 recession, cost of accomodation in Dubai is not a big issue for an EK Engineer. You will be able to find something decent within the allowance provided. If you plan to stay long-term, you should also be able to afford a mortgage within the allowance. Company provided accomodation is also decent. Since this is such a subjective issue, I suggest you come down here and have a look for yourself.

If you've not been to the Middle East, be prepared for culture shock. Having said that, there are also enough private clubs, beaches, malls, etc. for you to lose yourself in. You must have read about people getting arrested for having sex on the beach, DUI, etc., but that would happen in a lot of western countries too, so there's nothing medival or arcane about that. Use your common sense and don't intentionally be a menace to society.

If you're married, and your wife stays at home, she may be the one with a bigger problem, as she might end up feeling a bit lost, and may take much longer to adjust.

Hope all this helps. I don't want to discuss actual numbers in public, but feel free to talk about any other doubts you may have.

pull-up-terrain
14th Aug 2012, 07:37
Last month EK was here in Vancouver looking for licenced engineer. I've been a licenced engineer for more than ten years with A330/340 B777-200/300 and B747-200/400 approval. I really need some detailed info about the position upthere in Dubai. What does engineer's work enviroment look like? How many flights do engineers signoff on one shift? What kind of accommodation is engineer entitled? And I'm sure I will have more questions coming up later on.
Thanks for your reply.

Dad was considering of applying for Emirates as an Licensed Aircraft Engineer.

I dont know much about the work culture over there. But what i do know is (from an Australian perspective), Emirates pay their engineers a lot less than engineers working for any Australian airline (Qantas, Jetstar, Virgin, Tiger). Sure, Emirates salary is tax free and they throw in a housing allowance, but Dad worked out that he is still $30k AUD ahead staying here in Australia than what he would be if he worked in Dubai.

Another thing to consider, there are a lot of LAME jobs going around in Asia that are offering a lot more money than what Emirates is offering with a commuting contract.

tangpig
14th Aug 2012, 19:18
Thank you for sharing the useful info to me.
For the job, 8 to 10 turnaround or weekly chk are quite a challenge during a 12 hrs shift. Now I'm dealing with max 5 during 8 hrs, work with 1 or 2 mechanic on each flt. If even one a/c got unscheduled work to do just like wheel change, I would be so crazy. I work at airline station not a base. Don't have backup sitting there. I've to do every handy job with others, even go to pick up wheel and tooling. So I guess EK line maint has very good support once there is extra work to do, am I right?
For living in Dubai, is it safe? This is my major concern. I'm married and have a 5 yr old daughter. So many muslim countries don't like western people especially americans. How those western people survived in this mideast country? How is the terror attack avoided?
Yes, you are absolutely right. My wife might be a issue for moving to there. She is a DayCare teacher now. So can she work there by using the visa she entitled? Is it very hard to find a job for her?
Thanks again.
You have a nice flight.

givemewings
14th Aug 2012, 21:21
As far as I am aware her visa will be stamped as housewife- not allowed to work (lots of amusement at this for some I am sure) but I know several women on spouse visa who work in Dubai, she just needs to have approval from you that she can work and get a labour card or her company to sponsor her (it depends on the job and where she would work- free zone or otherwise)

Check your PM, have sent you further info there. :ok:

Dubaian
15th Aug 2012, 11:25
Dubai must be one of the safest cities in the world. Except perhaps for road traffic accidents. So far (touch wood) there have been no terrorist incidents in the UAE as far as I know and the strict visa and immigration requirements mean the authorities have a pretty good idea who is in their country. And bounce undesirables. Certainly no gun culture and drug abuse is limited (and very strictly punished if discovered).
There are many working expat wives and subject to visa rules your wife should easily find work in her field. It is my personal view that young children do better as expats than many stay-at-homes. They might have to move as teenage looms because of educational needs (country-specific qualifications etc).
Summary - UAE, Oman, Qatar, KSA and even Bahrain are very safe for ex-pats who do not misbehave in public.

J.L.Seagull
15th Aug 2012, 16:53
Tangpig,

I'll get to the job details later. Firstly, please please please get all misconceptions out of your head about Dubai being hostile, medieval or unsafe.

80% of Dubai's population are expatriates. Of these, around 20-30% are westerners, and nearly everyone here has a great time. Granted, they all like to b*tch and moan about living in an Arab country so far away from home, but the truth is, if they were so miserable, they would have left. Some people do leave, but for most of us, we've never had it so good.

Your wife will be sponsored by you, so like others have said, she will get a housewife's visa. But, there's nothing stopping her from finding a job in a school or daycare center, and being sponsored by them.

All the other replies are spot on. People (locals and expats) here are friendly enough, and wont give you any trouble if you don't go looking for it.

About work in EK, yes, signing 8-10 transits sounds like a lot, but 99% of the work is done by the mechanics. However, this also means that you have to put a lot of trust/faith in them, and sign stuff based on that trust. Flight deck crew are also really nice and understanding. No ground-vs-air crew attitude issues.

If you're doing weekly checks, you will get 3 weekly's for the shift, but no transits. Don't worry about feeling lost if you don't know something on the aircraft. People do pitch in with advice and tips to help someone in need.

Yes, you also have enough backup. If there's a wheel change, a separate team comes and takes care of it for you.

All of that applies to Line Maint. Dont expect to be placed in L/M just because you want to. If you end up in Base Ops, you will be doing lots of A-checks, thrust reverser/engine/landing gear changes. Much harder work than signing transit checks, but - in my opinion - a much much nicer work environment too.

Bottom line: its hard work, esp. with the weather, and you do end up tired, doing tons of stuff during a 12hr shift, but the job is stable, pay (for the standard of living in Dubai) is good, staff travel benefits are great, and Dubai is probably the safest place in the world to live.

If its too difficult to make up your mind from across the globe, then come down for a week or two, and check out the city before making your decision.

Good luck! :)

newhorizon
16th Aug 2012, 19:00
what is the avg salary for an LAME at emirates?

tangpig
19th Aug 2012, 18:59
Thank you J.L.Seagull.
Ok, we will go to Dubai for visiting next year. Hopefully aviation industry will survive from the very high fuel price and very low cargo business. So that we all can have a secured job in this field.

Good luck to everybody here.

fliion
21st Aug 2012, 15:32
JL

All the best in your flying career & enjoy the journey.

As an EK Capt I can tell you tha the engineers have always been courteous, professional and eager & willing to help. On our side of the fence we don't always get it right as I'm sure it is on your side - but know the vast majority if not all of us appreciate the great job you did & your colleagues continue to do

Blue skies my friend.

Appreciatively Yours.

f.

Craggenmore
21st Aug 2012, 15:59
Nice thread.

Respect :)

Rancho
29th Aug 2012, 10:02
EK engineering is an extreme of one or the other. Engineering unfortunately has progressed inversly to the airline, this is with regards to working conditions and welfare. I am one of those who decided enough is enough and left. Those who continue to stay should not bitch or moan about it, but they do. Anyway ask any EK engineer and he will tell you LM is the worst managed / run. Someone should be telling the head honchos cost cutting can only be done so much before it starts to affect the progress of the dept. People leave managers not companies. Heavy maint is the best of the 3 depts to work for. Configure your CV to reflect more heavy maint work. There is always a shortfall of staff so you are in a position to more or less insist on which dept you rather join. If you are presently employed then nothing much to lose in demanding for what you want.
As for Dubai, yes one of the safest cities to live and work in, just watch out for the traffic and while being a pedestrian. Plenty of vices as well though being an arab country its a chance you take. The law can and will be enforced when it suits them. Being of the caucasion race has distinct advantages. And yes Dubai also happens to be one of the most racist cities in the world and if anyone tells you otherwise they are lying. Its the non whites who are the racists.
You are in a position to own 2 or more big (SUV) vehicles or high end sports cars and not have to worry about petrol or maintenance costs.
For kids you need to give them a reality check every now and then about the rest of the world. You could easily get lulled into the artificial life offered in Dubai.
And last but not least keep in mind that as an expat you DON'T have rights! At least not what you would think you should have.

tangpig
29th Aug 2012, 10:57
Thanks Rancho. Your info is very helpful.

Rancho
30th Aug 2012, 02:06
Well the last I was there about 3 years ago internal transfers almost non existent. From LM, TCAS and TCASII will not allow transfers period!

going postal
30th Aug 2012, 07:55
Rancho is it easy to transfer internally between departments so if you get put in Line but would prefer Heavy type work. Or is it once you sign on for that dept that's it.

GP

Jingli
30th Aug 2012, 17:24
Rancho is it easy to transfer internally between departments so if you get put in Line but would prefer Heavy type work.

No - if you want HM then you need to be employed to HM. If you join Line then you will probably be trampled in the rush to transfer.

Rancho
30th Aug 2012, 20:25
I can see this is going to get interesting:O

going postal
30th Aug 2012, 20:45
Thanks for the clearer picture guys

POT100
12th Sep 2012, 13:10
Does anybody know if EK would take LAE's who don't have 777/A330/A340 0r A380?..Or do you need one of the above to apply and be considered??..

What salary would an LAE with one of the above types be on??..
How much is the licence pay per type?.

Hope someone can help...

Thanks

POT100..

Basset hound
15th Sep 2012, 03:38
I was told at the roadshow that they will absolutely NOT hire someone into an LAE position unless they have at least one of those endorsements. However; you could be hired into a "technician" position, and then be trained for one of the appropriate types. The trick is, apply for the position that you are already qualified for. If you don't have one of the types that Emirates operates, you can't immeadiately be a LAE.

tangpig
17th Sep 2012, 04:15
Today I was asked by 777-300ER crew to do a WXR L ground test due to intermittent graphic faulty during flight. Never do it on the ramp please. Somebody won't have baby anymore. Or you burn yourself if refueling in process.
If cabin crew report to you that water tank QTY decrease quickly, pull the handle right onthe top of L2 door inside of a small square access panel. you will save half of water. The problem caused by somebody forget to close the LAV water drain vlv. Normally this would happen on a longhaul flight.

Have a nice flight.

EK747
14th Oct 2016, 13:11
J.L. Seagull, are you still available on this forum? Wanted to ask you some questions?

littlejet
14th Oct 2016, 19:08
[QUOTEToday I was asked by 777-300ER crew to do a WXR L ground test due to intermittent graphic faulty during flight. Never do it on the ramp pleaseQUOTE]

Isn't the purpose of ground tests to be done on...ground. no such limitation you stated is in the FCOM
Elaborate please.

J.L.Seagull
15th Oct 2016, 02:38
EK747, yes I'm still here. I don't have anywhere else to go! :-)

bvcu
15th Oct 2016, 16:53
thats because its a MAINTENANCE procedure and has lots of warnings and cautions etc in AMM , nothing to do with FCOM

littlejet
15th Oct 2016, 18:08
thats because its a MAINTENANCE procedure and has lots of warnings and cautions etc in AMM , nothing to do with FCOM

You don't need to shout. WX radar testing (test mode) is done by flight deck or maintenance teams as they see fit and necessary and if there is an AMM limitation on not doing it on the ramp I would like to know why and also the reference chapter of such limit.