PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh how to impress folks! London Sentries

NutLoose
9th Aug 2012, 18:04
Lol

Mean Guard Orders Kid Off the Fence on MSN Video (http://video.uk.msn.com/watch/video/mean-guard-orders-kid-off-the-fence/1j4yew89b)

P6 Driver
9th Aug 2012, 18:43
Somebody's tired!
:ooh:

Rakshasa
9th Aug 2012, 18:49
Reckon he was just winding the kids up, not being an arse.

Jumping_Jack
9th Aug 2012, 19:01
Wind up......

Gemini Twin
9th Aug 2012, 19:14
A soldier life is terribly hard...says Alice.

Rosevidney1
9th Aug 2012, 19:44
I'm afraid that I don't see the problem.

sitigeltfel
9th Aug 2012, 20:25
he couldn't kick the little brat into airspace.

But he did have that bayonet :E

airborne_artist
9th Aug 2012, 20:34
It's the Summer Olympics we are hosting though. Look at the trees in the background and the kids' hats. That video was shot in winter, not the last ten days.

Gemini Twin
9th Aug 2012, 20:35
The kid's did look pretty sacred.

sitigeltfel
9th Aug 2012, 20:36
The kid's did look pretty sacred.

Thats because he put the fear of god into them ;)

Samuel
9th Aug 2012, 21:15
I don't believe it; The sloppy marching and even sloppier dress; no way that guy is real!

NutLoose
9th Aug 2012, 21:33
Yes he is Samual, but because we have so many troops covering the Olympics, they have had to call in G4S to cover some of the military shortfall. :O:p

Samuel
9th Aug 2012, 21:43
Nah, don't believe it mate! The exaggerated arm swinging, and that rifle drill is way off. A posed situation if ever there was one! That greatcoat isn't his either!

stumpey
9th Aug 2012, 22:12
Nope, don't work. All I get is the little swirly thing.
Anyway should have just shot the little scrote, now that would have been worth watching!

NutLoose
9th Aug 2012, 22:18
We are strapped for cash these days, it's one greatcoat to 5 troops, and each one gets issued with 5 rounds and a rifle between them... someone at the MOD had seen Enemy at the Gate apparently and thought it an ideal way to save money. :E

500N
9th Aug 2012, 22:27
"Anyway should have just shot the little scrote, now that would have been worth watching!"

Bayoneted then hung from the spikes on the fence behind
as a warning to others.

I do think it may be a spoof video because of the over
exaggeration of the drill movements.

Navaleye
9th Aug 2012, 23:15
I did drill with an SLR, I know the SA80 is difficult. Didn't look that sloppy to me. You used to have to say "Stand Away" in a very loud voice if they became too annoying.

Samuel
10th Aug 2012, 07:22
The shoulder arms with an SA80 does not involve all that rifle slapping. The guy is a fake!

barnstormer1968
10th Aug 2012, 07:39
Another video that came up to watch in the same web page was 'super excited baby goat' which was much better IMHO. :)

JOE-FBS
10th Aug 2012, 10:48
"We are strapped for cash these days, it's one greatcoat to 5 troops, and each one gets issued with 5 rounds and a rifle between them... someone at the MOD had seen Enemy at the Gate apparently and thought it an ideal way to save money."

Luxury! My dad did his national service in Singapore in 1947/8 i.e. during the Malayan Emergency. He always told me that their, unfenced, platoon sleeping accommodation was guarded by one small terrier dog. The nearby, fenced, stores hut was guarded by armed Ghurkas of whom he always spoke ith the greatest respect.

Wensleydale
10th Aug 2012, 10:58
guarded by one small terrier dog

Is this why its called Operation Firedog?

Al R
10th Aug 2012, 14:04
Despite all the hassle, it has been good to see uniformed troops going down so well with the public. After years of shuffling around in civvies being chased by Irish terrorists, being sympathised with after deaths on active service or undergoing rehab or redundancy, it must be like a breath of fresh air to engage so well with civvies and to such universal acclaim. I haven't heard a bad word said against a single one.

parabellum
10th Aug 2012, 22:31
Hands up all those here who have actually done rifle drill whilst dressed as that Guardsman was, i.e. best kit, greatcoat, bearskin etc? Anybody?

Chugalug2
11th Aug 2012, 00:18
I hope that you're not going to start shouting at us, parabellum, like that guardsman! This is an aircrew forum, don't you know.

500N
11th Aug 2012, 00:38
I'll change my view and say it is not a spoof.

Scuttled
11th Aug 2012, 02:27
No. It was good drill and a brilliant show for the public/tourists. I'd indent to stores for 20 of his type any day. You can't buy that sort of PR.

MightyGem
11th Aug 2012, 20:33
Nah, don't believe it mate! The exaggerated arm swinging, and that rifle drill is way off. A posed situation if ever there was one! That greatcoat isn't his either!
He's a Guardsman. That's the way it's done.

The shoulder arms with an SA80 does not involve all that rifle slapping. The guy is a fake!
And you're trained in SA80 drill?

taxydual
11th Aug 2012, 20:45
And then there's this

Cute Kid Imitates Swedish Royal Guard Video | KillSomeTime (http://www.killsometime.com/videos/8168/Cute-Kid-Imitates-Swedish-Royal-Guard)

500N
11th Aug 2012, 20:46
Their are a couple of videos on youtube of guardsmen in exactly the same location doing drill movements but without the greatcoat and during summer.

Will try to find a link to them.

Basil
11th Aug 2012, 21:52
Last rifle I did that stuff with was a Lee Enfield .303 so wouldn't know.
If it isn't a spoof it seems a little OTT but there's always a reason and we don't know what that was.

Tankertrashnav
11th Aug 2012, 22:09
Whitehall - one January 1st, I was watching the New Year Parade at Horseguards.

Excitable Italian tourist climbs up the railing to get a better view.

Lifeguard, seeing this, walks his horse forward round to the railing, right up to the tourist.

"Please get down off there now sir!"

Italian makes a hasty descent and Lifeguard reverses his horse back into position.

Crowd well impressed, and I was just so proud to be British!

(Re the vid, drill looks fine to me, but that is a bloody awful greatcoat though!)

barnstormer1968
11th Aug 2012, 22:19
These are nice IMHO

Yelling Royal Guards! - YouTube

Guard Scares Tourists - YouTube

parabellum
12th Aug 2012, 00:59
No, No shouting at anybody but drilling in full kit was always a bugger and at one unit we had to wear small pack and ammo pouches too, punishment for a long forgotten annual inspection thay didn't go too well!

"Make way for the Queens Guard" is regulalrly heard at the Tower of London as tourists do get in the way quite a lot. Interference from the public was one of the main reasons the guards at Buckingham Palace got moved inside the gates.

sitigeltfel
12th Aug 2012, 05:26
I think it is an offence to disrupt these guards.

The Guard always takes precedence in all military parades. Their march style consists in normal march time, and at intervals, for several paces, striking the ground forcefully with their right foot. Their standard marching music is the "Evzonaki" ("little Evzone") march, played at 48 beats/min. They guard the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier round the clock. Guards on duty perform their movements in a very slow and highly stylized manner. They switch positions with each other every fifteen minutes and remain completely motionless and at attention in the meantime. Since the Guards are required to be totally still at all times, there is one Evzone in normal fatigues uniform and police surveillance to ensure that no one approaches or harasses the Guards while on duty. The "little changes" take place every hour on the hour, and involve the two incoming and two sentries, and a supervising "Corporal of the Change". The Grand Change takes place at 11 am on Sunday mornings, and involves the whole Guard with its officers and a military band, all marching from the Guard Barracks to the Tomb for the Change, and back. The Grand Change is a popular Sunday morning spectacle for Athenians and tourists alike.
During a demonstration in front of the Parliament in 2001, a Molotov cocktail was thrown at one of the guardhouses. In no time, the wooden construction was engulfed in flames. The Evzone standing next to it didn't even blink his eyes, let alone move, until the guard in standard uniform came and gave him the order to move. With a scorched and partly smoking uniform on one side, the Evzone did.
In January 2010, a makeshift bomb was placed 20 meters from where the Evzones guard the Tomb of the Unknown soldier, at Syntagma Square. Although the police informed the Evzones of the imminent threat, the Guards refused to leave their posts and remained on guard while the bomb exploded.

"Changing of the Guard - Hellenic Parliament, Athens" - Videos - Viddler (http://www.viddler.com/v/fa3950e5)