PDA

View Full Version : Airship licence

KAG
9th Aug 2012, 04:50
As the title says, I kindly ask the ppruners wether they have heard of any school, institution, company that would be able to give some training to get the Airship licence.
I know this is a tricky question, any hint is very welcome, even if not directly related.

Many thanks.

500 above
9th Aug 2012, 06:22
Hi

There is nowhere presently where you can add an LTA-Airship rating. To obtain such a rating, you would have to be employed by an operator. To my knowledge, only John and Martha King of King Schools 'fame' have done such rating without being employed.

May I ask why you want to add the rating?

Genghis the Engineer
9th Aug 2012, 08:20
Speaking as a fond badge collector, it sounds a lot of fun and no more or less daft than doing a seaplane rating.

A friend of mine who worked for CAA did his in Florida somewhere, so that the authority to maintain a reasonable base of knowledge, but that was about 10 years back I think.

G

500 above
9th Aug 2012, 08:23
Would your friend at the CAA be B.Hodge? If so we trained him in Florida.

Genghis the Engineer
9th Aug 2012, 08:49
Would your friend at the CAA be B.Hodge? If so we trained him in Florida.

Nope, Captain P M

G

mad_jock
9th Aug 2012, 10:08
Used to work with an ex blimp driver.

He reckoned they were brillant fun. The whole testing thing is apparently all a bit amusing as there is nobody in the NAA's have a clue about them and come up with some right weird ideas.

500 above
9th Aug 2012, 10:38
That's right MJ. We trained a CAA inspector under FAA rules, CAA inspector was tested by FAA examiner, gains FAA LTA-Airship rating. The CAA then 'give' him a CAA licence (AS), he then 'examines' us for CAA tickets - and a right git he was too!

KAG
10th Aug 2012, 03:33
Thanks very much 500 above.

To answer your question, I might have the opportunity to fly a Zeppelin NT.

You write "we trained him in Florida", so are you giving some kind of training?
So that's possible right?

And I am thinking out loud, what's the situation in Germany concerning those licences?

500 above
10th Aug 2012, 05:50
Hi KAG

I don't fly airships anymore, but many friends still in the business. I have two that work for Zeppelin in Germany as pilots. Zep will train you in house with a well structured program. This will lead to a JAA (for the moment) CPL AS. If you have any questions PM me and I can contact my mates over there. Off on a trip now, back tomorrow.