PDA

View Full Version : New GPS sought

stiknruda
8th Aug 2012, 20:49
I'm considering replacing my trusted Pilot III that I've had for 15 years! Technology has moved on a long way and admittedly I DO NOT use it for primary nav, I refer to a paper chart (these days normally printed from SkyDemon, if I'm doing it or from from some Gucci i-Pad app, if my oppo does it)

I'm not a Mac user - so what should I acquire, the SkyDemon stuff looks neat but can I mount it in the Pitts (+6/-3g) or is there a superior alternative. It has to be easy to use as I'm old and not a gadget-pilot!

Your thoughts, please?

Stik

stevelup
9th Aug 2012, 08:40
Given that you're already familiar with SkyDemon and already use the desktop version, then it's a logical solution.

You can pay for the 'navigation' upgrade, then load it onto a cheap 4" or 5" GPS unit which can be bought for well under £100. You shouldn't have any difficulty mounting such a unit in a Pitts.

peterh337
9th Aug 2012, 13:11
IMHO the best GPS for flying (with as one's only GPS) is the 695 or if you can stretch to it the 795.

Proven and tested databases, European VRPs shown, etc.

Genghis the Engineer
9th Aug 2012, 13:13
Like you I dislike relying unduly on GPS, but since about a year ago I bought a little Garmin Aera 500 with a yoke mount, I've become a big fan of it. Certainly worth trying one out, and as they seem to have become quite popular, it shouldn't be hard to borrow one from somebody.

Nothing wrong IMHO for using it for primary nav anyhow - it's using it for sole nav that is where hell and damnation lie.

With a moden moving map, they're generally pretty user friendly - the biggest issues are what you can afford, and what you can fit in your cockpit.

G

stevelup
9th Aug 2012, 13:15
IMHO the best GPS for flying (with as one's only GPS) is the 695 or if you can stretch to it the 795.

Where would you put one of those in a Pitts?

englishal
9th Aug 2012, 16:58
but since about a year ago I bought a little Garmin Aera 500 with a yoke mount,
Ghengis,

If I remember correctly, you busted some class A airspace in the past (I am pretty sure I remember correctly as I was surprised that someone of your calibre made such a simple mistake using DR - but if I am in error please forgive me). Did you buy the GPS as a result of that, and if so, did you start using it for primary nav?

Just curious why people dislike using GPS so much, and I am glad to see you are a convert....not wishing to start a GPS debate though :E

Genghis the Engineer
9th Aug 2012, 17:41
Partial convert !

I was using the Aera at the time, did not realise that the default airspace warning did not include class A, and climbed a few hundred feet into a fiddly spur of airway doing local flying from a semi-familiar airfield. I picked it up doing a routine cross check against the chart, dived out of it, then grovelled and revisited my understanding of the kit.

I learned about flying, GPSs and good airmanship from that...

G

Zulu Alpha
9th Aug 2012, 18:52
iPAD running Skydemon is brilliant as it downloads NOTAMs and weather and automatically adds them to the screen. Got us all the way to Hungary and back. Much easier than a Garmin.

It also files flight plans automatically and you can do emails etc with it as well

Not sure about getting it in a Pitts but there must be a way.

Zulu Alpha
9th Aug 2012, 19:33
Some info on using an iPAD in a Pitts

iPad mount in a Pitts - The Biplane Forum (http://www.biplaneforum.com/f21/ipad-mount-pitts-6349/)

Crash one
16th Aug 2012, 16:49
Given that you're already familiar with SkyDemon and already use the desktop version, then it's a logical solution.

You can pay for the 'navigation' upgrade, then load it onto a cheap 4" or 5" GPS unit which can be bought for well under £100. You shouldn't have any difficulty mounting such a unit in a Pitts.

Iv'e been looking at a cheap Chinee 7" automotive GPS to do this with.
This has an A/V socket. Any-one know if this could be used to plug in a camera & see the camera view on the screen? because it is impossible to see the camera screen in sunlight.

Pilotdom
16th Aug 2012, 17:20
Hang fire until Mid-late September and see if Apple release a 7" IPad. If they do, get one, stick Skydemon on it and your away.:ok:

Crash one
16th Aug 2012, 17:25
Worth a thought but what is the price of an IPad over £45 for the cheapo? & will the camera idea work?

Pilotdom
16th Aug 2012, 17:47
Your quite right. I'm thinking Apple will need to pitch the smaller iPad around the £200-250 mark to make it viable. It'll give you Flight Planning, mobile notams/weather and moving map GPS for less than most Garmin equipment. (I'm not a massive fan of Apple, once Skydemon get going on a version for Android, you may aswell get a Galaxy Note and stick it on that).

riverrock83
16th Aug 2012, 18:30
Iv'e been looking at a cheap Chinee 7" automotive GPS to do this with.
This has an A/V socket. Any-one know if this could be used to plug in a camera & see the camera view on the screen? because it is impossible to see the camera screen in sunlight.
See this link for some more explanation for what it is likely to be:
AV in on Chinese GPS PNA - Austech (http://www.austech.info/gps/34312-av-chinese-gps-pna.html)

Its almost certainly designed for a car reversing camera, but is really a standard video input. That is if your GPS was advertised with it - many have the port but there isn't anything connected to it on the inside...

My suggestion: Try it and see!

I have no idea what formats it is likely to support - your guess is as good as mine so some trial and error may be required.

Now I'm wondering if someone can hack the bits together and record their flight onto the GPS... :8

dublinpilot
16th Aug 2012, 19:29
I doubt you'll be able to see much more on the cheap Chineese GPS than you can on your camera screen.

Crash one
16th Aug 2012, 21:16
Thanks guys I think I'll give it a try. Some do mention "compatible with reversing camera" presumably they have something connected inside.