PDA

View Full Version : Does having a PPL make a difference to sponsorship?

Mike91
8th Aug 2012, 14:31
Hi,

I'm sure this has been covered at some point, but I haven't been able to find it. I'm graduating university next year and trying to find the most accessible way to becoming a commercial pilot.

I was wondering if having a PPL would be an advantage to applying for schemes like BA FPP or other part sponsorships, or is more worth while saving the money?

Thanks in advance.

average-punter
8th Aug 2012, 20:49
From my past experience of these schemes a PPL doesn't really count for much, far more important are your interpersonal skills.

Bearcat F8F
8th Aug 2012, 22:24
One way or another at least they can tell straight away that you are not a time waster and most likely have a genuine interest in flying.

Ok, there might be some PPL guys who only did it because grandpa paid for it and they don't care about flying but I'm sure that these people make up less than 1%.

Once they get round to picking the 2nd and 3rd stage candidates, it probably wont matter so much.

Having a PPL can't hurt surely.

9th Aug 2012, 08:28
Having a PPL is another feather in your cap and another thing to talk about during the inevitable interviews (of which there are several for any sponsorship/ tagged scheme), but it is an expensive one to get. Certainly, I couldn't advise going for a tagged scheme with no flying experience at all.

Considering the wider view, doing a PPL will let you be around the airfield a lot, and most of aviation is networking. For certain, I would not be where I am now without knowing the people I got to know at an airfield. Mind you, I got to know these people not by training for the PPL, but by being there as much as I could, doing odd jobs, cleaning planes, cutting grass, cleaning dogs...

I did the PPL whilst there, and the instructors have stayed friends (benefit of learning at a small school), some now in the FE, others corporate, some in airlines in the UK. All are good people to know, and all were excellent for a reference and advice when it was needed.

At the same time, as other posters have said and from my own experience, having a PPL is not a golden ticket to stage 2,3,4 etc of any selection process. Far more important is everything which is being actually tested, inter-personal skills being the main one.

To conclude, a PPL will give you a bit more base knowledge and show commitment, but is that any more than you could show by hanging around an airfield cleaning planes and chatting, having the occasional flight? That depends on your financial situation.

Mike91
9th Aug 2012, 09:22
Thank you everyone for your reply. I have tried to get some volunteer work at my local airfields, but saddly none are willing to take me on just now! but I guess its all about persevering.

Thanks

FANS
9th Aug 2012, 12:03
During the old days of actual sponsored schemes, some flying experience was undoubtedly important, but not essential.

Now - such schemes are tagged at best and the risk sits firmly with the student, and hence there's (i) less people applying, i.e. less competitive, (ii) all risk is with the student and hence if you pass all of the aptitude tests and seem sensible in an intervew, the airline can (on balance) be happy. If you fail the course after 80 hours because you're still petrified of flying, it's no longer the airline's problem!