PDA

View Full Version : Merlin's magic.

Al R
8th Aug 2012, 12:20
Nice.

BBC News - The Merlin: The engine that saved the free world? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-18781750)

.. as Mr Evans explained: "It's like Land of Hope and Glory, it's part of who we are. I was at an American airshow at their base in Mildenhall and the commentator called for quiet, for all other engines to be stopped and said 'Let's just listen to the Merlin'."

Airborne Aircrew
8th Aug 2012, 12:38
I once had the honour of standing by the runway at Shawbury with Dave A, John W and Neil E early one morning and experienced what happens at 27 seconds in this clip. An outstanding experience - I didn't know there was a Mossie still flying.

i3LjPZrO5Ho

Al R
8th Aug 2012, 12:46
I had the pleasure of going up the hill at the Goodwood Festival of Greed in a Meteor powered Rover SD1. Sitting inside it, inches away from that manifold and exhaust.. well, just perfect.

Halton Brat
8th Aug 2012, 13:00
Somebody should expand upon Miss Penny's Orifice........

HB

Schiller
8th Aug 2012, 13:04
Miss Shilling's Orifice, was it not?

Perhaps it's about the same, given the rate of inflation.

Halton Brat
8th Aug 2012, 13:13
Drat! Grey matter defaulted to the highly versatile 'Penny Washer', much used & abused in the RAF. This was the size of a pre-decimal Penny coin, with a c.3/16" hole in the centre. Old Lags would tell the snot-nosed Brats such as myself that this was indeed the washer that won the Battle of Britain, enabling the noble Merlin to bunt negative G in pursuit of the lantern-jawed members of the Luftwaffe in their fuel-injected Me109's.

Miss Shilling's Orifice is indeed worthy of our admiration......

HB

airborne_artist
8th Aug 2012, 13:20
Some will remember that Rolls Royce kept an airworthy Mossie until the very sad crash at/close to Barton in 1996.

The aicraft was being displayed in 1991 (to celebrate 50 years) above Salisbury Hall, home of the Mosquito and now the DH Museum. A friend stood on the bridge over the M25 to film the display, and the sound track is littered with the squeal of cars braking as the glorious sight of the Mossie fills their forward view!

Halton Brat
8th Aug 2012, 13:30
I read in a recent issue of 'Aeroplane' magazine that a chap in NZ is scratch-building new Mosquito fuselages & wings, from the original drawings but using modern adhesives (Achilles Heel of the original) on his 'Wooden Wonders'. The photographs accompanying the article showed a fuselage built to a good degree of completion. He wants one of these aircraft to be UK based, ISTR.

Mosquito - the original MRCA.

HB

SOSL
8th Aug 2012, 13:30
Beautiful!!

Rgds SOS

spekesoftly
8th Aug 2012, 13:31
Some will remember that Rolls Royce kept an airworthy Mossie until the very sad crash at/close to Barton in 1996.

It was actually owned by BAe (not RR) and based at Chester (Hawarden).

airborne_artist
8th Aug 2012, 13:48
It was actually owned by BAe (not RR) and based at Chester (Hawarden).

More grey hairs and fewer grey cells :\

spekesoftly
8th Aug 2012, 13:54
Possible confusion with the Rolls-Royce owned Spitfire that suffered an equally sad crash at Woodford some years earlier?

GeeRam
8th Aug 2012, 21:01
The world will see another flying Mosquito again this year with Jerry Yagan's FB.26 restoration scheduled for it's first flight in NZ next month.

muppetofthenorth
8th Aug 2012, 21:11
There's a Mosquito at Elvington that's been being restored/rebuilt for as long as I've known it. Is that not a candidate for flight at some point?

GeeRam
8th Aug 2012, 21:45
There's a Mosquito at Elvington that's been being restored/rebuilt for as long as I've known it. Is that not a candidate for flight at some point?

No.

Tony Agar's amazing almost self restored 'composte' NF.II is a composite of various parts of scrapped/derelict Mosquito airframes and scratch built parts, and could not be made airworthy as is.

NutLoose
8th Aug 2012, 22:07
Plenty of Mossie in the Uk go to Salisbury Hall..

As for the NZ one

See link for film of it

Mosquito gets finishing touches - NZ News - Video - 3 News (http://www.3news.co.nz/Mosquito-gets-finishing-touches/tabid/309/articleID/264669/Default.aspx)

They hoped it would have been at legends last year but wasn't finished, the plan was for it to cross the pond via the uk, so you may still see it again..

As for the RR Spit 14 from Woodford, that is in Storage at the moment having been started, but put on hold for however long is anyones guess while the 19 is away getting rebuilt.

Here you go

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/Aviation/Spitfire14arrivalunloadsmall.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/Aviation/Spitfire14arrivalsmall.jpg

Goprdon
9th Aug 2012, 19:07
Tern Hill , BoB display 1964, Boss of Flying Training Command himself flying a Mossie. Rumour had it that it had been struck off charge, but that did not seem to deter him. Anyone else out there who saw that Mossie at Tern Hill or elsewhere.
Or perhaps it was the legendary Gus Walker flying with two of Merlins.

Gemini Twin
9th Aug 2012, 19:19
Heard a lot of Merlins running at Seafair in Seattle last weekend.

Wander00
9th Aug 2012, 19:46
Gus Walker was C in C FTC 63-64 time, Paddy Dunn had taken over by mid 1965

bakseetblatherer
10th Aug 2012, 00:01
Plenty of Mossie in the Uk go to Salisbury Hall..

As for the NZ one

See link for film of it

Mosquito gets finishing touches - NZ News - Video - 3 News
Yup no flying Mozzies at this time, but come the end of September one will be. Apparently there are two more in the shed too. I will be flying up to Auckland for a Boys Day Out with airshow and beers in NZs big smoke.
Ticketek New Zealand (http://premier.ticketek.co.nz/shows/show.aspx?sh=MOSQUITO12#.UCRPF6OmfzK)