PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into flying

FDUP
8th Aug 2012, 05:36
I'm a concerned wife and was wondering if I can have any advice on what the Aviation industry is like now compared to 2 years ago. My hubby who only needs to sit the prac flight test for mecir and do ATPL's (has everything else plus 1300hrs and grade 2 instructor rating). After being made redundant 15 months ago he decided to get a backup job as he was seeing how bad the industry was, not to mention the financial strain that it put on the whole family. He has now got a very well paid job (not flying) and is now thinki0ng about finishing what he started. His ultimate dream is to be a pilot and would love to see him happy:O, but the thought of going thru what we have gone thru nearly makes me sick in the stomach. Please help.:yuk:

triathlon
9th Aug 2012, 04:17
Have a look at all the job ads on AFAP. It's been constant since the start of the year. Lots of growth and movement within the industry and ranks. Good time to get back in if you ask me.

morno
9th Aug 2012, 04:24
There are jobs out there, but don't expect to be earning big $$'s to start out with. It's not an easy industry to get into, I'm guessing even harder for people with families and kids! But if you can put up with the low pay, then it's possible.

morno

triathlon
9th Aug 2012, 06:07
Morni is right. Pay is crap and job security can be ordinary. Until your in the airlines where the money is. Usually you have to move to where the work is. But if he has 1300hrs these things he should already know. Stay in his job, take home the good pay for wife and kids, see what work he can get in his area on days off and take it from there!