PDA

View Full Version : Engine Start up during Pushback of "Ferry A/C"

aergid
7th Aug 2012, 12:26
Hi Guys

Thought I would rack the brain of you fly guys and ask your personal opinions and company procedures regarding the Start Up of engines during the Pushback of "Ferry A/C".

I am a Ground Services Training Manager and have been a Pushback Operator for 20+ yrs and have always been told "never start engines of "Ferry A/C" during Pushback due to the increased risk of A/C skipping and jumping which could potentially cause a Jack-knifing of the Pushback Tractor (Towbarless or Conventional).

Reently 1 of our Customer Airlines have reversed their policy and stated it is now safe to carry out this procedure doing Pushback.

I am asking the same question in the Ground Handlers section and just want to measure the different approaches to this subject.

Piltdown Man
7th Aug 2012, 13:16
By "Ferry A/C" do you mean an aircraft without payload? If you do, I cannot see a problem with starting engines providing they are run at no more than idle thrust - with or without payload. This assumes the surface over which the pushback occurs is reasonably level and is not slippery.

PM

Intruder
7th Aug 2012, 14:05
What airplane type? What do the Ground Handling Manuals say?

I have never heard of this restriction for the 747, though common sense tells us not to do it on snow or ice...