PDA

View Full Version : atpl exams

guyleedsutd
5th Aug 2012, 18:52
hi all am nearly at completion of ppl and was wondering are you able to buy atpl ground school material off ebay then pay to sit the exams or do you have to buy the full course from the training provider.

Tinstaafl
5th Aug 2012, 23:20
Not enough information to answer your question. What country's licence is it that you wish to study for? The systems differ between jurisdictions.

whiskey1
6th Aug 2012, 02:21
Guy,
If you are looking for a EASA (European) Licence then you must complete an approved course. So no benefit from buying off Ebay. Have a look at different providers, costs range from 999 pounds.

W1

RedBullGaveMeWings
6th Aug 2012, 09:35
999 pounds is only CATS in DL...

taxistaxing
6th Aug 2012, 09:45
Assuming ilkley is ilkley in Yorkshire, you're presumably studying for the UK ATPL exams.

You are required to sign up to an approved course and complete a certain amount of classroom training.

That said, there's nothing to stop you signing up for the cheapest provider (currently CATS) and then buying notes from one of the other providers from EBAY. Strictly speaking this is probably a breach of copyright by the seller, but this is what I've done. The CATS notes are on-line only and aren't brilliant so I've invested in some BGS notes to supplement them. The BGS notes really are excellent and can help your understanding to have alternative explanations of the topics. When I'm finished I'll be £1000 or so better off than if I'd signed up for the BGS course.

CATS also offer the benefit of three one-week brush up sessions, whereas Bristol force you to attend 2 * 2 week sessions which is a lot of holiday used up.

taxistaxing
6th Aug 2012, 12:05
You may well be right on copyright law (missed that module during my LLB )

Not sure I understand the comment about "implied terms printed in books".

I suppose you might say that wording in a book trying to prevent resale was not incorporated into the contract to buy the book, and therefore not enforceable, as it was not made available at the time the contract was made.

I agree that if you have signed a contract with BGS which includes some standard boilerplate wording about not on-selling course materials, then this would be an express term of the contract and BGS would have a cause of action against the seller of the notes if it was breached (if they could be bothered).

This would only be against the seller, BGS having no recourse to the buyer of the notes as they are not a party to the contract.

Alex Whittingham
6th Aug 2012, 13:30
....and as far as we are concerned you may sell or buy legitimate copies of our material without restriction, just like any book. We would get upset about copying, for instance either photocopying or conversion to PDF and then selling them online.