PDA

View Full Version : AA emergency landing closes DUB for an hour

Blind Squirrel
5th Aug 2012, 12:32
Hydraulic problem, apparently. But why not land at EINN?

Emergency landing shuts Dublin Airport - National News - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/national-news/emergency-landing-shuts-dublin-airport-3190026.html)

MungoP
5th Aug 2012, 12:47
WOW.. Imagine booking a trans-Atlantic flight on one of the USAs premier airlines only to discover you'll be flying on a 752 !

A4
5th Aug 2012, 14:01
I'm interested that this warrants a return. Unless of course there was a fluid loss or it impacts continuing operation, why not carry on to destination? You've got to land with the problem so why not plan/discuss for 5 hours and do it where your pax want to be? I EMPHASISE only if there was no immediate opertional impact (ETOPS requirements....?)

As one of the commenters on the newspaper article said, is the cost of all the diverts and DUB closure going to be passed onto the (bankrupt) airline? If it was "urgent" (hence return) why DUB and not SNN?

Before anyone jumps on me, I know I wasn't there, I don't have all the facts - I'm just asking for opinion. But well done to the crew for getting safely back on Terra Firma :ok:

lasernigel
5th Aug 2012, 14:24
WOW.. Imagine booking a trans-Atlantic flight on one of the USAs premier airlines only to discover you'll be flying on a 752 !

Yes it's pretty shameful for a so called top US airline. They do MAN-ORD and MAN-JFK in 757's. Cramped seats. No entertainment except for the aisle screens and dire meals and service.

lomapaseo
5th Aug 2012, 15:20
we've covered pilot decision making before as well as "what I would've done"

I vote to let the spotter corners and the SLF decide

aterpster
5th Aug 2012, 16:52
MungoP

Where have you been? :)