PDA

View Full Version : Flares at Heathrow

LowNSlow
5th Aug 2012, 09:11
I was on the Heathrow perimeter road heading East toward the car hire collection place and watching a BA 747 coming down the approach to 27 Right when what I can only describe as a flare going off with a bright white light went off over the threshold of 27 Left (nothing on approach). This was followed about 20 seconds later by another one. This was at 06:06 on the morning of the 2nd August.

Was this some clown with some rockets or is it part of a procedure?

rolaaand
5th Aug 2012, 09:15
Bird scaring?

Lear60
5th Aug 2012, 09:23
probably bird scaring, Flares can be used on a comms failure though.

LowNSlow
5th Aug 2012, 09:35
That did cross my mind and it appears that, at London City at least, they use a Very Pistol to discourage circling birds from hanging around!

What I've been able to find out about Heathrow seems to indicate that they rely on other methods like synthesised bird sounds and non-lethal firecracker type projectiles relying again on sound rather than light to scare off the unwanted avians.

Art E. Fischler-Reisen
5th Aug 2012, 10:57
Sounds like a routine early morning bird scaring process.

These days I scare the birds in the morning by rolling over and smiling at them before putting my teeth in.

reportyourlevel
5th Aug 2012, 13:00
Almost definitely a bird scaring pyro. Ours have a loud pop and a bright white light. Fired from a Very pistol if the distress calls haven't worked.

LowNSlow
5th Aug 2012, 13:04
Thank you all for the details. Cheers.

DaveReidUK
5th Aug 2012, 13:43
I was rather hoping, after reading the thread title, that we were talking about some kind of retro fashion statement ...

Dan Dare
5th Aug 2012, 16:06
Do you think Les' trousers will ever come back in to fashion?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Aug 2012, 17:14
That cheered me no end, Dan. Bless you
Bren McC

aviate1138
5th Aug 2012, 19:38
Which makes me wonder whether Mayor Boris can honestly believe that an airport can be sited where Millions of migrating birds assemble at different times of the year. Undeniable that you have a brain Boris but plain [plane] common sense seems to be missing.......:rolleyes:

Think how many flares/pyros would be needed for a start!

Skipness One Echo
5th Aug 2012, 22:45
The sight of any man in flares would be enough to scare any birds. Oh wait my wires may be crossed...