PDA

View Full Version : Lt Cdr David Mallock AFC, RN (Retd.)

Tail-take-off
4th Aug 2012, 08:29
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z74/Tail-take-off/DMallock.jpg

Those that knew him may be interested to learn that David Mallock (right) formerly of Warri, Antarctica, Trinidad, The Falklands & Middle Wallop died recently of Pancreatic Cancer.

RIP Admiral!

Rokan1
4th Aug 2012, 09:12
RIP Snowi … (Senior Naval Officer – Warri)!

I worked with David in Warri during the early 80’s.

idle stop
4th Aug 2012, 19:12
David was a true gentleman. I had the pleasure of working with him closely when Bristow was bidding for the Defence Helicopter Flying School contract, and he was Base Manager at Middle Wallop. I found him modest.....with an interesting history, which tales I heard about from others.
An abiding memory was that the hotels that the bid team stayed in when in the Shawbury area all had to be 'dog friendly'. Whilst at MW, David had obviously espoused the army officer's custom of always taking his dog with him!
RIP.

soggyboxers
4th Aug 2012, 21:14
David was my gentlemanly, eccentric, kind, next-door neighbour in Gweek in 1978 when I was a newly-married young 2Lt RM and took me under his wing. and I came across him again many times during my time in the Royal Marines and later in Bristow. He was quirky, knowledgeable and I'm very sorry to hear that the big C has taken another gentleman from us.

Requiescat in Pace old comrade.

CharlieOneSix
4th Aug 2012, 22:12
In case you haven't seen the funeral details..........

Lt Cdr David Sumner Mallock AFC, RN (Retd). Died 26th July 2012. Funeral at Exeter and Devon Crematorium on 9th August at 11.30 a.m. Donations in aid of Hospiscare, Tiverton, to Walter H. Squires & Son, Chapel of Rest, 11 Wellbrook Street, Tiverton, Devon, EX16 5JW.

.......and an amusing anecdote from one of his old friends:

One memory I have of Dave Mallock arose during the Dar es Salaam mutiny in '64 when the Royal Marines made an early morning landing and captured the Armoury in the local barracks in order to get ammunition for their .762 rifles. Aden had stored the Centaur with .303 ammo !!! Dave was flying his Wessex over a dusty road and some troops decided to surrender to him. He landed, took their rifles off them and flew back on board.. He had these rifles in his cabin for a while. I remember having to persuade him to hand them in - he considered them trophies of war.

John Eacott
4th Aug 2012, 22:27
That's dreadful news :sad:

M'larky Jim was my BFT instructor, and later Senior Pilot when we were on 824NAS: so many stories, I think we all had fun making them ;)

Arriving at Culdrose, we had the usual meet up with our preceding course and were advised 'don't get Dave Mallock, he always chops his students' so I was mortified the next day to find myself allocated to Dave :eek: Years and years later he 'mentioned' that as the 705 A1 QHI he always got and chopped the marginal ex EFT students, and specifically asked for me so that he could see one student through to Wings. Nice to have known at the time!

Many escapades: hover wheel change in a Whirlwind after blowing a tyre at Predannack; gaffer taping him into his cabin on Ark and never finding out how he escaped, not a word the next day; his amazing flight and night 'auto' into a field after the Merc Enterprise rescue (and well deserved AFC) to mention just a few.

Sadly missed.

John Eacott
5th Aug 2012, 06:30
A couple of pages from the 824NAS Line Book with entries about M'larky Jim:

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/5037-2/DSCN4799.JPG
an entry when Andy Lovesy, a gifted artist/cartoonist, was LBO Larger image here. (http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/5035-1/DSCN4799.JPG)

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/5040-2/DSCN4801.JPG
Larger image here (http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/5038-1/DSCN4801.JPG), LBO unknown. But maybe Geoffers would remember?

Snarlie
5th Aug 2012, 11:11
Sorry to hear of the passing of another RN helicopter stalwart. I first met David Mallock when I joined 705 Squadron at Culdrose as an 18 year old Midshipmite and wondered how someone so old could still be flying ( he must have been all of 26!) I only flew with him once on the Whirlwind, a height climb to 10000 feet over Culdrose on a day when you could see France. After his exemplary patter about effects of controls at altitude etc, he chopped the throttle at 10000 feet and said, " OK, engine off in Area 6 ". It should have been a simple straightforward exercise but, needless to say, a real meal was made of the descent and we just managed to creep into Area 6 and effect a fairly ropy engine off landing. Fearing the worst of his wrath I was surprised when he turned and said, " Not bad, most people miss the airfield completely."

Working with him and for him throughout my time in the RN he always stood out as the consummate professional that he undoubtedly was. During his time as CO Standards Flight he managed to transform naval helicopter flying into a modern crew orientated discipline from the early days of single crew operations. As Eacs has said, he will be sorely missed.

TipCap
5th Aug 2012, 22:00
Sorry to hear about Dave's passing. I knew him from Nigeria and MW (plus other places during our time in Bristows)

RIP

Oldlae
6th Aug 2012, 08:15
Very sad to hear about Dave, met him a few times in various places with Bristow and when setting up Shawbury.

mtoroshanga
6th Aug 2012, 11:05
Sad to hear about Dave, was with him in the Falklands in 89/90. A gentleman of the old school

Alan Biles
6th Aug 2012, 16:05
When I first met him at MW in 1997 I asked him if he was a Dave or a David. He replied, "Oh, most definitely David if you don't mind". I found him great to work with, if a little pedantic. He always reminded me of the David Horton character in The Vicar of Dibley although I wouldn't have dared tell him that.

RIP David

John Eacott
6th Aug 2012, 21:38
As a lowly Mid, he was 'Sir' to me.......

Allan Brown
7th Aug 2012, 13:29
I just wish you had told me that earlier Alan! I can still see his whiskers twitch when I reverted to Dave by accident.
Sad loss, he was loyal to Bristow throughout, and fought the corner gallantly throughout the DHFS negotiations and with the Air Corp whilst in command at MW.

RIP DAVID.

Grumpyasever
7th Aug 2012, 22:04
Remember him teaching me limited power at Predanick in a Hiller! As an Instructor and later as colleague, a professional and a gentleman. A privilege to have known and served with him. RIP David.

Rokan1
8th Aug 2012, 16:51
David & Jean's frequent cocktail party soirees on the Shell operation in Warri were always great fun, and very effective in bringing together Shell and Bristow staff in a relaxed social environment. :)

Incidentally, the chief Engineer when I first joined the Warri team was Geoff Francis, whom I had previously worked with in Iran... Does anyone here have any news of/or contact with Geoff?

BrianBS
29th May 2014, 16:13
I strongly suspect that Lt Cdr Mallock (ex helicopter pilot in the RN) who died on the 26th July 2012 was my cousin and I would be most grateful for any confirmatory information from those who knew him.

He would have been about 73 when he died (born 1939) and married a Jean (maiden name unknown).

Any assistance will be appreciated

Brian Brooke-Sumner

Ant T
29th May 2014, 17:35
Have sent you a private message (see you are new to Pprune - click on "Private messages" top right of this page if you are not familiar with the system)

Ant

CharlieOneSix
29th May 2014, 17:40
Brian - I was in email contact with Jean only a few days ago. I will pass on your name to her and will let you know if she wants to proceed further.