PDA

View Full Version : SE IR(H) training preparation?

ŽOS
5th Aug 2012, 00:01
Hi!

I'm starting my SE IR(H) training next month in Denmark, do you guy's have any tips for preparation? Any special reading material I should get my hands before starting the course to get a head's up for the course?

Any tips appreciated :)

Sir Korsky
5th Aug 2012, 00:14
Do you have any plank IR time? If not, you can get that scan pattern started with a good flight sim on your pc.

ŽOS
5th Aug 2012, 00:17
Sir Korsky,

Thanks, where could I find that sim? :)

paco
5th Aug 2012, 06:33
Microsoft Flight Sim - cheaply available on ebay. 2002 will do fine, 2004 will still work on anything, but make sure you get disk 4, which is often lost - you need it in your drive for the program to run.

Presumably you've done the theoretical knowledge stuff?

Phil

ŽOS
5th Aug 2012, 11:01
ok thanks, I'll try to get my hands on it. I've done and passed the ATPL(H) exams.

Heli-Jock
5th Aug 2012, 11:50
I'd get familiar,,very familiar with "Radio Aid Navigation" programme, i bought mine for £79. Mic sim will do but i dont see the need to fly the uppy - downy bit. If you have a good understanding of the navigational aspect of tracking VOR's, NDB,s and flying the airport plates,,,you will be half way there.
The sims are difficult in getting used to at first but when you master the sim and already have a good knowledge of the vor and ndb tracking aspect,,,you wont struggle like i did!

Good Luck!

J

ŽOS
5th Aug 2012, 12:26
Thanks Heli-Jock !

Where can I find this sim you've been using? :)

anyone used RANT XL - Radio Aids Navigation Tutor (V3)?

eivissa
5th Aug 2012, 12:32
Also read DOC 8168 available for download at the website of BAZL or anywhere else on google. This will be your bible from now!

helicopter-redeye
5th Aug 2012, 12:40
1. If you havent got the 206 rating already then ask them for the manual in advance so you can be on top of this part (or have not flown the 206L II, some differences/ engine and of course the instrument & autopilot fit which are different to the standard 206B - if possible, pop in and take a picture of the panel so you can stick it on your bedroom ceiling and practice the scan on the panel you will use 24/7)

2. RANT sim, as noted above. I dont think RANT has got Danish plates in it but if it has then practice on the ones used.

3. Get familiar with the local training area, approach plates for the airfields used and any unusual features of those fields (especially the effect of coastlines on NDB .......) [thanks, Madman, for the tip back then!]

4. See if you can think of anything to do in Billund at night (assuming it is BAS)

Brilliant Stuff
5th Aug 2012, 13:26
Yupp I have extensively used RANT XL and it saved my bacon on the day of the test can't speak higly enough of it but I don't know if it has the Danish beacons in it.

And no I don't work for Oddsoft.

ŽOS
5th Aug 2012, 19:59
Thanks all of you for you're info, nice to get some comments.

I've already downloaded DOC 8168 but the only edition I've found is one published in 2006, is that good enough??:rolleyes:

And does anyone know if RANT XL has got Denmark as an option?