PDA

View Full Version : Hercs scandal

sunburst
2nd Aug 2012, 12:04
Hercules stored in Cambridgeshire because there is no room at Brize Norton (From The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald) (http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/9851745.Hercules_stored_in_Cambridgeshire_because_there_is_n o_room_at_Brize_Norton/)

Surprised? No.

Runaway Gun
2nd Aug 2012, 12:17
Next week's story: RAF Service Personnel accomodated at RAF Base Lyneham because there is no room at Brize Norton.

StopStart
2nd Aug 2012, 13:30
Headline should read "Knackered, life-ex'd aircraft stored with contractor rather than being left to rot in corner of RAF airfield". A shocker indeed :hmm:

Sook
2nd Aug 2012, 14:22
Does being in maintenance count as being stored? Aren't the life-ex aircraft at a scrapyard or Bruntingthorpe?

BEagle
2nd Aug 2012, 15:18
"Knackered, life-ex'd aircraft stored with contractor rather than being left to rot in corner of RAF airfield".

Unlike the far from knackered, comprehensively modfied TriStar ZD949 which the RAF never flew, despite having squandered squi££ions on it - which is no doubt sharing the same 'storage area' as these other Lockheed classics at Arthur Daley's Cantabrium Used Planes yard?

Mind you, back in the days when the RAF was still recruiting pilots and could afford things like University Air Squadrons, it always made me wonder what you and your chums thought of the organisation whose aircraft you were about to fly, Stoppers, when the aerodrome was littered with the carcasses of Nimrod AEW3s in various stages of being scrap....'reduced to spares' and the ancient ex-ba Super VC10s which were eventually flown away to become front-line VC10K4s......

create_it83
2nd Aug 2012, 15:29
Slightly offended by the comment from the local MP: " All the offices and IT have been removed. It has all been closed. ... We have been through that phase and said goodbye to the RAF.

Apart from a few busy, little units - seemingly forgotten about, on an otherwise deserted airbase.

Ken Scott
2nd Aug 2012, 22:16
Mr Luff said, as of June 15, there were just three of 32 in the fleet at the base, while six were on operations. That left 17 being stored elsewhere, including eight at Cambridge.

There are a few more than 3 sat at Brize, and of the others 'being stored elsewhere' we used to call that 'down route'.

TorqueOfTheDevil
3rd Aug 2012, 01:45
Nothing new about RAF Hercs being parked at Marshalls! The C1Ks sat there for years in the 90s.

Whopity
4th Aug 2012, 11:29
The last time I flew over Brize, the pans were largely empty with almost as many civilian as military aircraft
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38428747/Brize%20Pan2.jpg

Ken Scott
4th Aug 2012, 12:18
When was your picture taken? I don't think the pans on the southside have been entirely empty of C130s since they moved in from EGDL.

As to your statement with almost as many civilian as military aircraft I make it 12 to 2 in favour of the military!

That said these days there seem to be so many charter ac around (& the Voyager is really mock miltary!) that the place is becoming a civil airport in all but name....which is what I understand they want to create eventually, with an airport staffed by almost entirely civilian contractors.

At least by then I and my compatriots will have retired with our uncomfortable memories of what it was like to be part of a military force.

Dengue_Dude
4th Aug 2012, 16:08
Why is it a scandal?

Politicians lie . . . simples

What can you (we) do . . . nothing

Get over it

Whopity
4th Aug 2012, 16:25
When was your picture taken?11th June 2011

Stuff
4th Aug 2012, 16:41
So right in the middle of ELLAMY and you wonder why the assets aren't sat around on the pan?

November4
4th Aug 2012, 16:44
11th June 2011

Didn't the flying stop at Lyneham 1 July 2011?

Hence why there are no Hercs as they were still at Lyneham.