PDA

View Full Version : Observer pilot & safety pilot log time?!!!!

AL-MEHDAR
1st Aug 2012, 17:46
Dear all

We are two pilots (friends) doing renewal CPL IR on Multi aircraft DA42-NG.

Both of us hold a current 1st medical certificates + current written CPL IR exams + current ELP + current AIP written exam.

We always flown together (pilot flying + CFI + pilot observer). May I log as safety pilot time while he flown his session? Then may he log as safety pilot time while I flown my session ?

FYI, our CAA fallows FAA regulations 100%.

Is it legal or no?!!

Please advice?

Regards

nick14
1st Aug 2012, 18:33
If you are both licenced to act as pic on the aircraft ten under FAA I believe that you can log PIC time if the pilot flying has artificially restricted his view (hood/screens) to practice IF.

Other than that if the aircraft is certified for only 1 pilot then you are not permitted to log PIC.

That's my understanding anyway.

AL-MEHDAR
1st Aug 2012, 18:56
Thank nick14 for your reply

I am not asking about PIC but I am asking about log as a safety pilot for the observer pilot who sit on the rear seat.

FYI, DA42-NG require 1 crew member as a minumm.

Regards

nick14
1st Aug 2012, 20:53
You can log SNY but that doesn't count towards your hours so it's pointless, and you cnt log P2 as its a single crew aircraft so it's either PIC or nothing as far as I am aware.

S-Works
1st Aug 2012, 21:03
You can't log anything. Get over it. If you want to be a commercial pilot then do the same as the rest of us did and earn the hours instead of trying to scam them.

AL-MEHDAR
1st Aug 2012, 21:14
bose-x

Thanks for your reply

I don't mean to scam it. I do renewal too and I fly too don't worry about it.

The point is logging hours as safety pilot while I sit on the rear seat watching and listen to instructions from our CFI during his session.

Unless it's better than nothing.

I hope to get my point clearly.

Regards

Big Pistons Forever
1st Aug 2012, 21:35
So basically you want to log time while you are sitting in the back seat of the aircraft. Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds....

nick14
1st Aug 2012, 21:53
The only occasion you could log time when acting as SAFETY PILOT, is when you are required to be there and are seated in a pilots seat with dual controls under simulated IFR. Frankly anything else is just scamming hours as has been said. By all means log time as SNY when you are acting as such but it doesnt count towards any total time or anything else so it's pointless but for a memory when you retire.

Ps the only time I log safety pilot time (as SNY) is when I am part of the operating crew during new entrant pilot training for our airline. These hours do not count for anything as I have said, I log them merely to ensure I get paid properly.

Genghis the Engineer
1st Aug 2012, 22:20
Take a column you won't use in your logbook, cross out the heading, write in the word "Passenger"; log it in there, do not add it into any other column.

Problem solved.

G

AL-MEHDAR
1st Aug 2012, 22:23
Got it.

Thanks to all.

CASE CLOSED