PDA

View Full Version : MAN arrivals in the 80s & 90s

Up up and away
31st Jul 2012, 17:29
In my younger days I lived in South Manchester and aircraft would regularly pass (quite low) over the area from a NW direction prior to turning onto finals for a 'westerly' landing (the unique sound of an approaching BAC 1-11 always got me looking skyward!)

Nowadays, aircraft position themselves for an approach into MAN from further out, generally from a NE direction.

I was just wondering what the reasons were for this change - increased traffic heading into MAN (and/or LPL) noise abatement reasons etc. I'm sure there is a simple reason but just curious, hopefully somebody can shed some light.

Miken100
31st Jul 2012, 18:06
I'm sure more knowledgeable heads than me will respond but to hazard a guess all of the standard instrument arrivals and departures were rewritten in the 90s to accommodate the opening of the second runway.

Up up and away
31st Jul 2012, 20:27
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure that they changed to the current routings well before runway 2 opened in 2001 though.

ZOOKER
31st Jul 2012, 23:00
Noise abatement at a guess.
Many years ago, ATC/Pilots were jointly responsible for aircraft routings.
In the 80s and 90s, the aerodrome authority, (MA PLC), cultivated their 'good-neighbour' policy, and flexed their muscles, thus removing ATC's flexibility. Everything had to join final approach at least 7 miles out, in spite of the fact that a/c had become much, much quieter.
Still happens today. Much fuel wasted by imposing extra track-miles on aircraft types which make less noise than some road vehicles.
A shame.