PDA

View Full Version : split duty and FDP under GCAA

desertwest
31st Jul 2012, 16:54
Reference this post:

http://www.pprune.org/terms-endearment/430131-split-duty-extension.html

I'd like to know how UAE operators consider the break in a spilt duty schedule as it relates to the 190 hrs max duty in 28 continuous days.

Does your company:

1) consider a split duty schedule to be one continuous FDP

or

2) the FDP clock "stops" when on your break

Looking at GCAA's CAR OPS subpart Q definitions, split duty is:
"a flying duty period, which consists of two or more sectors, separated by less than a minimum rest period."'

This seems to clearly refer to it as ONE continuous period. However, I know there are other "interpretations". I just need information on how other carriers in UAE view this situation.

A private message is fine, as I do not necessarily need a public answer.

Thanks!

Desert Driver
1st Aug 2012, 02:24
It's done as stated. When the break between sectors is not a full rest period.
Sector on blocks +30 minutes rest starts, let's say 4 hours rest before resuming the next sector sign on (off blocks-1 hour). You can extend your normal days duty by 1/2 the time taken as rest.
Example original FTL 12 hours, 4 hours rest taken between sectors, you can now do a 14 hour day 12+ [1/2 of 4]= 14.

Simples.

vaschandi
3rd Aug 2012, 06:29
So the rest time between the splited duties is fully counted to the FDP and
has to be considered to the max 190h in 28 days.
Thatīs the way our company in DOH is doing it.;)

azfarash
13th Aug 2012, 07:02
This is a very interesting question and have come across couple of times at my workplace. I have seen operators adapting to both ways of calculating split and cumulative duty hours. Basic rule to increase Max FDP (i.e. adding half of rest) is common but the rest period is included in the part of duty by some operators while others do not include it. The regs is not clear on it and logically it makes sense not to include the rest time but this means Max FDP may be increased to 17 - 18 hours which could be exploited by the operators.