PDA

View Full Version : Nomex flight suits

pol1whiskey
31st Jul 2012, 12:48
I am currently debating the advantages of wearing a military style Nomex flight suit for PPL flying.
I have been reading IIAB bulletins recently. Many serious General Aviation accidents that I have read have resulted in fire injury prompting me to consider the advantages of wearing a fire retardant coverall.
I currently SFH a PA28 from an airfield which offers commercial as well as private pilot instruction. It is not uncommon to see students arriving in bobby dazzlers, shirt & tie. Most users of the flying school are smart in appearance, this is considered the norm.
My question to you is this: have the advantages of wearing a military nomex suit been discussed on this forum before? Do you have a dress code of conduct at your commercial training centre? I would be the only flyer at my flying school to wear a coverall and I do not want to draw negative attention to myself by wearing one. However my number one priority at all times must be my attitude towards flight safety and my ability to aviate to safety should a situation occur resulting in fire in the cabin.
My second question is this: Does anyone have any experience of a fire resistant coverall doing its job? If a pilot chooses to wear a suit and doesn’t wear Nomex gloves does this defeat the objective (Severely burnt hands cannot operate controls adequately, same goes for feet). Or is anything better than nothing? Scenario: Engine fire develops in flight, fire in the cabin, would a nomex suit buy more time in getting the forced landing executed or do the benefits of these suits lie in other areas?
I would like to avoid the ‘olright Maverick’ remarks at my flying establishment but at the same time I would like to do all that I can in the interests of my own safety and the safety of my passengers.
Your input would be appreciated.
POL1W

Genghis the Engineer
31st Jul 2012, 20:47
There have been a few threads about this, but there's always room for another.

For the bulk of my flying I wear a Nomex suit (or at the least, cotton trousers and a nomex or leather jacket), plus usually thin leather gloves. Leather does the job nearly as well, and pure cotton isn't too far behind.

A few people do take the mickey - which is entirely their problem so far as I'm concerned.

In that utterly freak accident that I can't predict, it may well save my life, or at-least my long term wellbeing. The rest of the time, it protects my clothes, has pockets in all the right places, and I can leave all my flying bits in it when I take it off and sling it in the car after a flight.

(I did a long trip for business today and did just that, flying suit left in the aeroplane, suit jacket back on, job done.)

Military ones are cheap but, well, very military - easily bought on eBay or the like. There are various suppliers in various companies who will happily supply you with non-green ones, but just avoid Polycotton.

Incidentally,watch the video at the bottom of this page (http://www.jaysflightwear.com/flightsuits.php) for the Nomex versus polycotton argument.

To not have the p*** taken out of you, the biggest rule is never put any badge on it you didn't earn, unless it's clearly being humourous. The next rule is simply not to wear it unless you're near to an aeroplane, or about to be. Those two generally do the job.

G

Big Pistons Forever
31st Jul 2012, 21:10
I wear a nomex flight suit when flying ex-Military aircraft or when engaged in specialty operations like forest fire fighting. I do not wear a fire resistant suit for your average Piper/Cessna flight as I think the risk is low enough that I am comfortable in regular clothes.

However as Genghis says it is your decision. I would say that you should put it on when you get into the airplane and take it off when you get out. Wearing it around the flying club will invite (deserved IMO) ridicule. I would also say that IMO in the context of normal GA flying 80 % of the value of a full suit can be achieved simply by wearing a set of Nomex back/leather palm gloves. Protecting your hands will allow you to touch a hot switch/control/structure which could make the difference in fighting a cockpit fire or mean the difference of escaping or being trapped in a crashed burning airplane. In the meantime it gives you a good grip when your hands are sweaty.

I would also ask an open ended question. Are you doing everything you could to avoid the accident in the first place? That is do you follow a regular program of recurrent training, practice checklist discipline, understand the aircraft systems, study the safety bulletins and learn what not to do by studying accident reports etc etc etc. Those are IMO the areas where true improvements in flight safety occur, not wearing a nomex suit to fly your Pa 28 for a local bimble.....

Monocock
31st Jul 2012, 21:22
Wear what you want.

Ultranomad
31st Jul 2012, 23:19
I have an old USAF Nomex flight suit (CWU-27), and besides the advantages listed by Genghis, have also noticed that it keeps me warm in cold weather without making me sweat when it's hot, and it's also dirt-repellent - I remember helping someone drag rusty and muddy pipes to clear up some extra space on the airfield, making a mental note to take the suit home for washing, and then seeing no trace of that rust and dirt on it a couple of hours later.

7of9
1st Aug 2012, 00:16
I also wear the Nomex Flying suit to fly at my club, I fly C150/152, C172, PA28 PA28 Arrow T. & fly in other aircraft.
Some take the piss!! Thats thier look out.
I have my frequencies on my left knee pad, My airfeild information Hobbs & flying times on my Right Knee pad. Landing charts for airfields visiting in the knee pad pockets along with aircraft Check lists.
Also i don't like loose aticles like coins, keys & phones in unzipped pockets which is where the breast pockets come in handy on the flight suits.

I also wear leather flying gloves, i think protection from fire as well as other peoples germs from thier hands is a must. (some people don't wash hands after bog visits & also sneeze & wipe thier germs on the controls)

as some one else has said wear what you want.

:ok::E

fwjc
1st Aug 2012, 05:07
I'm with BPF on this. I wear one for vintage, open cockpit and aerobatics flying. The risks are a bit higher in these environments, and the need to manage loose articles is greater. For basic spam can and closed cockpit bimbles I don't. IMO it looks a bit pretentious.

Of half a dozen flying accidents happening reasonably locally, only one involved fire and the occupant was unaffected (by the fire at least). I've seen more vehicles on fire on the road, but I don't wear a nomex suit to drive to work either...

n5296s
1st Aug 2012, 05:22
I have one which I bought for aerobatics, where all the zippable pockets are very handy. I often wear it for other flights, just because it's so handy. Wearing light-coloured summer clothes for flying, you can be just about sure to end up with grease stains somewhere. WIth the flying suit, who cares. I feel a bit awkward going to the supermarket on the way home, but I've kind of got over that. As Genghis says, you cxan always take a change of clothes if you're going to work or meeting people afterwards.

I got mine from flyingsuits.com.

Monocock
1st Aug 2012, 06:01
I feel a bit awkward going to the supermarket on the way home, but I've kind of got over that

:eek::eek::eek:

The500man
1st Aug 2012, 07:33
Flight suit link (http://www.helicopterhelmet.com/CWU-27P-Flight-Suit-by-Propper_p_366.html)

I was thinking about this recently. I don't think I'd wear one in a Cessna though. The PA28 with its silly door arrangement doesn't appeal to me at all, but if you like that sort of thing it might be worth wearing one as you're probably less likely to get out in a hurry in one of those.

One thing that occurs to me though is that instructors or other commercial pilots don't wear them for straight and levelish stuff. With their higher number of flying hours you'd think their risk exposure would be higher than the average GA pilot. So why don't they wear them?

That link above, supplies them in black or tan so you don't look like a forces has been, and they do gloves as well. Anyone know a better place to buy from?

stevelup
1st Aug 2012, 07:40
You can get Nomex shirts, trousers, polo shirts and all sorts of other goodies.

If you really want to use it, these are probably more appropriate for a bimble in a PA28 than a flying suit!

Human Factor
1st Aug 2012, 08:43
Nomex is flameproof not heatproof, so also give consideration to what you wear underneath it.

jayteeto
1st Aug 2012, 09:08
I wear nomex for my job, but not for pleasure flying. An old friend crashed and burned in a Kitfox a few years ago. He was wearing nomex plus appropriate underwear, his passenger wasn't. Guess who came off the best???? He never flies without a suit now.
It might be a small possibility, but it COULD be you. Why not don/doff at the aircraft to avoid ridicule?

foxmoth
1st Aug 2012, 09:51
I wear a flying suit where appropriate, for a Pa28 on normal ops I would say a bit over the top! But not going to do any harm.
Go for natural fibres, cotton or wool and avoid like mad most man made fibres, esp nylon and I would consider that a sensible level of precaution.:ok:

Cusco
1st Aug 2012, 10:34
I acquired two flight suits (cotton, not Nomex) when I got my PPL (bought one, was given the other- ex mil) 20 years ago.

I wore one once but found it too restrictive and hot and have never worn either again.

I do however always wear long sleeved non-synthetic shirts & trousers, avoid shorts and open sandals whatever the heat, and always wear the ex RAF thin white leather gloves and replace them (I have to buy them now!) whenever the thumb pokes through.(I found the US Nomex gauntlets too thick/insensitive for cockpit use).

That combination takes care of my perception of risk when flying my P28R and I figure in a fire might just protect my fingers long enough to get back down on the ground before I crisp up.

Cusco

pol1whiskey
1st Aug 2012, 10:59
Thanks for the input: Simply putting the suit on by the aeroplane is a good shout. Alternatively and as suggested, I could consider a more subtle (though expensive) approach:

Lower:
Pioner Nomex Comfort Flame Resistant Cargo Trousers from Greenham [www.greenham.com] (http://www.greenham.com/c/pl/120545/Pioner-Nomex-Comfort-Flame-Resistant-Cargo-Trousers)

Upper:
Alpinestars Nomex Top - Demon Tweeks (http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/fireproof-tops/alpinestars-nomex-top)

Interesting post from Genghis that leather does a similar job. Therefore:

RAF Leather Flying Gloves (http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+Pilots-Flying-Gloves-RAF-Leather-Flying-Gloves+8620)

BPF: All emergency checks are committed to memory. PFLs practiced every 6 weeks or so. So are diversions. I do not practice spin recovery however (that is a separate thread).

I must admit, the design of the PA28 access hatch (singular) leaves a lot to be desired...

mad_jock
1st Aug 2012, 11:04
There was someone on here a exmil I think pilot.

They got that fed up with the stuff avialble they got a fit for purpose clothes range produced and sold it on the web.

They had stuff like hard baseball caps for head protection.

Cotton cargo pants with sensible pockets.

And natural fibre top halfs.

Unfortuanately can't find the link to them.

The500man
1st Aug 2012, 11:56
Aero-ist (https://www.aero-ist.co.uk/Flight-Cap.php) is the site your thinking of MJ.

vee-tail-1
1st Aug 2012, 12:00
As above wear what you like and ignore the comments.

But if you are serously intending to protect yourself against fire, don't play at it by wearing only the nomex coveralls.

You will need cotton or nomex underwear and socks and flying boots.
Your head & neck must be protected by a nomex hood, and a bonedome (or leather helmet and flame proof goggles if restricted room in the cabin)

Not much point in protecting your body if your hair is on fire and your eyes are steaming while the skin chars on your face.

In military flying I wore all that lot on every sortie.
In BOAC/BA we wear cotton shirts and polycotton trousers and make damnn sure that every eventuality (and a few others!) are taken account of on every trip.

Unusual Attitude
1st Aug 2012, 12:41
Interesting conversation this one as I very often jump out of one type wearing a nomex flying suit which I then take off to go flying in another type, I have my reasons however:-

Type 1 is a very cramped tailwheel single seater which is a real handfull on takeoff and landing and will frequently see me doing well in excess of 200mph and pulling a decent amount of +/- G. Inside there are lots of jaggy bits which would easily snag a jumper or damage clothing and I'm sitting with a fuel tank right above my knees. I'm also turning it upside down frequently so I need to make sure all my junk is safely stored, a flight suit with all its pockets is perfect for this.

Type 2 is a nice stable and docile high wing classic which I spend most time flying S&L en route from A to B or in the circuit and probably wont be doing much more than 110mph, its also a doddle to land in most weather and in a forced landing will be going wheels on about 50kts.

Would I go flying in type 2 wearing a nomex suit?, nope, why not? Purely cause I'd get slagged rotten so basically nothing more than peer pressure!

I do think it quite funny however as every day I pass cyclists who look like they are off to the Tour De France and there are many other hobbies people get equally dressed up for. With aviation its the oposite, despite such clothing having a potential safety benefit we are actually encouraged to dress down...:ugh:

BroomstickPilot
1st Aug 2012, 12:51
Hi Guys,

I reckon each pilot has to make a value judgement based on a balance of comfort, practicality, risk and cost.

If all the flying you do is 12 hours a year in a Pa28, then you may as well stick to your third best street clothing, because wherever there are aeroplanes there is also oil, grease, mud and sharp projections. So you don't want to be wearing your Sunday best.

If you fly professionally, the company will probably insist that you wear a natty looking (but cheap) uniform. (One thing that concerns me is the silly uniforms instructors are so often required to wear these days, bearing in mind the inherently hazardous work they do. These uniforms are invariably made of poly-cotton fabrics that, in the event of fire, will melt onto the skin and burn like a torch. (Did we learn nothing from the Falklands War)? Personally, I would give all instructors full Nomex gear.

You also need to take into account the range of weather and temperatures you will be working in. For example, if you are going to fly in sub-zero temperatures, you need a baggy flight suit that can take extra layers underneath.

At the other end of the scale, if you are a military pilot or fly several hundred hours annually, perhaps crop dusting or doing some other hazardous occupation, then you really need the whole works, bone dome perhaps with oxygen mask, leather boots, Nomex grow-bag, scarf, wrist coverings, gloves, socks and underwear.

If you are a private pilot doing low hours, remember that cotton burns like a torch, while wool and silk merely frizzle up and extinguish. So if there's a choice, wear silk or wool in preference to cotton.

If you really like wearing cotton, there is a cotton product called Proban. Hitherto, it has been possible to obtain flying wear made in Proban, but I am not sure about its current availability.

I believe there are also simple, water-based processes you can apply to an existing cotton flight suit that will reduce its flamability. Maybe the cotton trade associations can advise on these.

There is a product called MSI Firecheck that can apparently make cotton fire-resistent, but I know almost nothing about it and don't know whether it is even suitable for use on clothing. There should be details somewhere on the Internet.

'Hope this helps.

BP.

The500man
1st Aug 2012, 13:20
Personally I think anything more than a flight suit, gloves, boots and a helmet is unnecessary. In flight fire that engulfs the cockpit has got be an extremely rare event, so the main consideration when deciding on whether to wear protective clothing or not in my opinion should be based on how easily and how quickly you can get out of your aircraft when it goes up in flames after it's crashed! Nomex protection isn't going to last forever. Making certain you open your doors or jettison the canopy before an emergency landing is probably more likely to save you than protective clothing; with which you're only realistically looking at reducing the severity of burns with short term exposure.

foxmoth
1st Aug 2012, 15:44
If you are a private pilot doing low hours, remember that cotton burns like a torch, while wool and silk merely frizzle up and extinguish. So if there's a choice, wear silk or wool in preference to cotton.

If you really like wearing cotton, there is a cotton product called Proban. Hitherto, it has been possible to obtain flying wear made in Proban, but I am not sure about its current availability.

I believe there are also simple, water-based processes you can apply to an existing cotton flight suit that will reduce its flamability. Maybe the cotton trade associations can advise on these.

There is a product called MSI Firecheck that can apparently make cotton fire-resistent, but I know almost nothing about it and don't know whether it is even suitable for use on clothing. There should be details somewhere on the Internet.
Cotton might burn, though I I would question "like a torch",at least it does not burn into the skin like nylon. MSI Firecheck is used in the film industry and is supposed to be very effective, but washes out so needs reapplying if you wash your kit!

Jan Olieslagers
1st Aug 2012, 16:03
I reckon each pilot has to make a value judgement based on a balance of comfort, practicality, risk and cost.

Don't underestimate the importance of looking smart.

If all the flying you do is 12 hours a year in a Pa28, then you may as well stick to your third best street clothing

That's what I have been doing, and what almost all my club fellows do, even those that do 50 or 100 hours annually. Actually even the instructors show up wearing just jeans and a polo or t-shirt. It is one of the things that make me like this club: no keeping up of appearances.

Before reading this thread, I took dedicated flying clothing for an extravagancy, justified by the a/m desire to look smart. I can't help thinking that white silk scarfs do fall under this category. But I had never realised that flame resistance could be a factor.

Very unwilling to look like trying to look smart, I would perhaps consider clothing that looks casual, i.e. that I could also wear on a visit to the village pub, but that does offer some protection in case of a fire. Any suggestions?

Grob Queen
1st Aug 2012, 17:21
I've thought twice about whether to post on this one...but hey, in for a penny ;)

I wear an RAF gro-bag all the time when flying...but then there isn't the trouble p**s taking with ones peers as the majority of friends at the Club are Gro-bag wearers! Its sensible...its nomex, lightweight, comfortable, arm pocket for pens and chinagraph, other pockets for keys, sunglasses, torch etc etc....mines a FJ type so I have a seperate knee pad, but despite that I wouldn't fly without it. RAF issue leather gloves, boots and socks too. And no, I don't feel a pratt!

...and I drive home in it.....but then around here, no one looks twice at a green (or black) gro-bag !;) (Now stands back and awaits flak to fall in my direction :p)

jxk
1st Aug 2012, 18:16
Harris tweed jacket, grey flannel trousers and trilby hat that is de rigueur!

Not so stupid: lots of pockets in the jacket and trousers, reasonably flame-proof, the hat can be worn both forwards and backwards and with dangling cork used as a AH!

fwjc
1st Aug 2012, 19:10
Grob Queen - that's fine when you're operating in a military environment. When you go to any normal GA airfield, you'll find that the only people wearing gro-bags are the aerobatic lot, as a rule. And they only wear them for aerobatics. Be prepared for funny looks and sniggers at a number of places, some better hidden and polite than others. I remember being shocked when I first joined a civilian club and realised that people just don't wear gro-bags except for specific purpose. But I soon got over it, at about the same time as I got over using a yoke instead of a stick.

It's a personal choice as to what you wear in an aeroplane, but as someone else said, really you should wear a bone dome, gro-bag, gloves, boots and the right undergarments. And while you're at it, how about a parachute? I use all of these for performance aeros. But I wear jeans and t-shirt for straight and level PA28 / Cessna / yawn type flying, and I'm quick to take off the gro-bag as soon as I'm done fun flying.

Someone said never to wear a badge unless you've earned it. This is so true. I have a name badge which is relevant in some circles. But on home turf, where everyone knows me, I never wear it.

Grob Queen
1st Aug 2012, 21:21
Thanks for your advice FWJC...certainly duly noted ;) T'is true, I only have three airfields in my log book thus far two military....and the other being Duxford... and they're pretty used to gro-bags...

I have yet to sample the atmosphere of a GA airfield... :)

Genghis the Engineer
1st Aug 2012, 21:31
I think that perhaps fwjc overstates it a bit.

At smaller clubs and grass strips a green growbag is neither unusual nor frowned upon - it's just a personal choice.

At a certain type of high-cost-medium-quality GA club people get arsey about all sorts of things that really don't matter. They can however often be places to do ad-hoc bits of renting or training, so you just live with it.

For example, I flew as a sole or part owner at Popham and another nearby smaller strip for a decade or so, where my growbag wearing habits never got even mentioned. Flying at a commercial school elsewhere in similar aeroplanes, but for my CPL, anything that didn't resemble either a baby airline pilot uniform, got regarded with mild ridicule. In the latter case, I told them I didn't care and why I wore it, and they heard me out and accepted it.

Either way, don't be pretentious, don't mind explaining your reasons politely, and people will get over it.

But GQ - do get out and see some club environment flying. At the very least go to the LAA rally in September.

G

fwjc
1st Aug 2012, 22:23
Excellent suggestion Genghis. Maybe see you there?

And you may be right, but you might be surprised at how often comments are passed behind people's backs, even if it appears that nobody has batted an eyelid. It's definitely true that different places tolerate / accept their use to widely varying degrees.

Genghis the Engineer
1st Aug 2012, 22:42
Not sure which, or how many, days - but I have every intention of being at the LAA rally.

Worth a PPrune get-together slot - say a particular time and place each day at the rally? [a corner of the Aviator hotel bar might work :ok:]

I'm sure people say all sorts of things behind my back, and on occasion across bulletin boards and in magazine editorials. On the other hand, I'm also pretty sure that most of it is about other things than my taste in flying clothing!

G

Runaway Gun
2nd Aug 2012, 00:18
So, some people would rather bow to peer pressure and p1ss taking and not wear suitable safety clothing.... Are those same cheeky b@stards also going to make fun of you if you turn up to the flying field with visible burn scars?

Tony crashed his Bronco at Kemble recently, and he is having quite a hard time in hospital and is still getting skin grafts. However he was wearing a helmet, nomex, and some cotton undergarments - without which his injuries would definitely be much worse. Just maybe this saved his life.

Whilst on this subject, why do pilots insist on wearing those flammable/melting reflective fluro 'safety' vests whilst still inside the aircraft? It not only reflects making instruments to see - and will make you cry when it melts onto you.

Big Pistons Forever
2nd Aug 2012, 00:46
[QUOTE=Runaway Gun;7338198

Tony crashed his Bronco at Kemble recently, and he is having quite a hard time in hospital and is still getting skin grafts. However he was wearing a helmet, nomex, and some cotton undergarments - without which his injuries would definitely be much worse. Just maybe this saved his life.

[/QUOTE]

I would suggest that flying a high performance warbird at an airshow is at a whole different level of risk then flying a Pa 28 on a local flight. A helmet, full nomex flight suit and boots is an entirely appropriate response to that risk for a Bronco but overkill for a Pa28

This discussion reminds me of the thread a 10hr PPL wrote about how to deal with jammed flight controls. He was not very receptive when it was pointed out that there were many much more likely emergencies that he should achieve proficiency at before worrying about the jammed control scenario.

Perhaps I am jaded by the fact that everyone I have ever seen wearing a nomex flightsuit in your average Cessna/Piper was a "look at me" poseur rather then somebody who was wearing it as part of a well thought out holistic risk reduction strategy that started with a pilots determination to attain and maintain high levels of personal flying skills for both normal and abnormal situations.

Runaway Gun
2nd Aug 2012, 01:29
BPE, I see your point, however I would like to amplify that wearing meltable clothing (such as Nylon and Polyester) is an unnecessary risk that might mean your difference between life and death.

The same goes for people wearing Nomex Flightsuits OVER Nylon/Polyester clothing - it might keep them clean, but the heat will still melt those fashionable items into your skin for life.

I recently asked a pilot why her leather flying gloves were in her flightsuit pocket whilst she flew a warbird. She said she only wore them at airshows! I pointed out that they might be protective on every flight.

Big Pistons Forever
2nd Aug 2012, 01:48
BPE, I see your point, however I would like to amplify that wearing meltable clothing (such as Nylon and Polyester) is an unnecessary risk that might mean your difference between life and death.

Yes but where do you stop ? Wearing a parachute on your local flight in a Cessna or Piper "could" save your life if the flight had a midair and broke apart in the air. So should I wear my emergency parachute in a Piper ? I think not but I absolutely wear it in my Nanchang or the other warbirds I fly. My only point is actions taken should be commensurate with actual risk.

My personal feeling is that I think the original poster is ascribing an unrealistic level of actual benefit a nomex suit will provide in reducing actual risk to any of his flights.

Like I said in an earlier thread I think simply wearing nomex/leather fireproof flying gloves would provide almost the same benefit as a full suit as it would allow full use of your hands when operating the seatbelt release, door handles etc that may be too hot to touch with bare hands.....and in the meantime it gives you a better grip on the yoke and controls if your hands are sweaty.

However I sure won't say "don't wear a nomex flightsuit", just be sure you are doing it for the right reasons.......

what next
2nd Aug 2012, 10:52
Hello!

Yes but where do you stop ?

This would be exactly my point. By far the most likely cause of death in any accident with aircraft (and road vehicles) are traumata, especially head injuries. So wearing a helmet would be the best measure to increase the odds of survival. But honestly, who does wear a helmet in a C172 or Pa28? And what about the passengers? Do they not have equal rights to survive a crash? (The same applies to the Nomex suit in my opinion: Either everybody on board wears one or nobody.)

In accidents involving fire, the most frequent cause of death is lung damage from inhaling flames, smoke and fumes. To protect oneself against that risk either breathing oxygen under pressure - military style - or PBEs (portable breating equipment) are the only feasible measures. Both are not suitable for single engine aircraft. It is _almost_ impossible to don a PBE inside the cabin of our light bizjets (I know because we have to train once per year) and absolutely impossible in the confined space of a Pa28. In my personal opinion, protecting your body against flames but not the much more vulnerable lungs does not make too much sense.

That said, I must confess that I too own a Nomex suit. I bought it on eBay (a grey ex german naval aviation suit for 20 Euros...) when I was involved in aerial work some years ago. We sprayed silver-iodide into CB clouds to prevent the formation of large hailstones. That chemical is only soluble in acetone (extremely inflammable) and leaves very nasty and almost unremoveable stains on every material that it comes in contact with (including skin and clothes and aeroplanes...). A Nomex suit seemed to be the right way to dress when handling that stuff. But I never flew in it, preferred to take it off before boarding the aircraft. Wouldn't have had any chance to survive a combined acetone and avgas fire in case of a crash anyway...

Happy landings,
max

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Aug 2012, 16:03
Look at it another way - why NOT wear a nomex suit, or failing that natural fibres?

It's comfortable, has lots of useful pockets, and keeps grease stains off your normal clothes.

Similarly thin leather or nomex gloves make the controls easier to operate the controls when your hands get a bit sweaty.

Neither is fantastically expensive, pllus both, should you have a very bad day, add something to your safety.

G

n5296s
2nd Aug 2012, 17:04
Simply putting the suit on by the aeroplane is a good shout.
The problem I see with that, is that if perchance you are stopped while driving to/from the airport, how are you going to explain your lack of trousers? Seriously, while taking trousers on/off in the car is certainly possible, I'm not sure I see the point.

I think this must be a UK/US thing. Many (though not all) of my instructors wear flight suits. As Genghis says, they're extremely practical, they keep grease and much off your normal clothes, you can leave pens, torches/flashlights, emergency escape hammers, ... in the pockets. Maybe in the UK people worry more about looking silly, "what will the neighbours say?" Here nobody gives a r@t$ar$3.

As it happens, right now I'm off to fly the Citabria, mainly for tailwheel currency but I'll probably also do some light acro. I'll fly over there in my 182. And I'll drive to the airport in my car. On the way home, I need to stop at the drugstore. Why would I do anything other than put on my flightsuit at home, in comfort, and wear it til I get back? I'm not trying to impress anyone, just keep my life simple.

Incidentally if you want another reason/excuse for wearing a flight suit, I noticed that they sell them at Mr X, San Francisco's premier fetish gear shop. So you can always pretend you're on your way to a fetish party (just saying...).

jxk
2nd Aug 2012, 17:26
Do they do Nomex in pink?

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Aug 2012, 18:02
Do they do Nomex in pink?

The American desert uniforms aren't far off to be honest.

CWU-27/P Flight Suit | Gibson & Barnes - Premiere Flyer & Aviation Outfitters (http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-294913/Cwu27p-Flight-Suit.html)

(But don't bother thinking of dyeing nomex, just doesn't work - I've tried.)

G

Grob Queen
2nd Aug 2012, 18:14
....and of course the RAF have "Desert Pink" grow bags....

abgd
2nd Aug 2012, 19:08
I have an RAF suit from ebay that cost less than an average pair of jeans and fits nicely. I haven't yet worn it to fly, in part I confess because of the ridicule thing, and in part because it seems unseemly to wear more protective gear than your passengers.

I also bought some nomex underwear, and had considered wearing it under normal cotton clothing as a half-way solution.

GeeWhizz
2nd Aug 2012, 19:30
Just to chip in, I wear what I feel comfortable in when flying along with thin leather gloves. The only reason for the gloves is that my hands sweat (not dramatically, but enough) and I see who else flies the aeroplane other than me.

For aeros I wear a nomex suit and own three to date. Two RAF Mk16 and one other made-to-measure number. The only badge I have that I transfer between the suits as required is my name badge, which does include wings because I can ;). Wouldn't wear one for PA28/C172 flying though, as I feel the worst thing that could happen is an engine failure at which point I'm flying a glider, no great shakes.

Call me naive or over trusting of the aircraft and/or maintenance engineers if you wish, but if it's going to break up in flight a flying suit will only keep all my bits in a nice easily transportable bag. And I'm never going to wear a parachute in the typical club hack.

There's ma 2p worth, frankly wear whatever is comfortable be it a 1990s shell suit or a nomex suit with bells and whistles.

Little G :p

Torque Tonight
2nd Aug 2012, 20:22
I'm all for the use of proper safety equipment and for anyone who uses it for genuine safety considerations (rather than posing) any ridicule should be like water of a duck's back. You are entering a potentially hazardous environment and a professional mindset is to be commended. The results of not using safety equipment are sobering.

A few months ago I had a nasty chemical burn on my hand having done a walkaround on a Boeing and presumably come into contact with hydraulic fluid. I was kicking myself for not wearing gloves like I always did in the RAF.

zondaracer
2nd Aug 2012, 21:34
If you are really concerned about what people think of you, there are lots of nomex products that you can buy that don't look like a one piece flight suit.

Have a look at Drifire, they make a bunch of nomex clothing, including a two piece flight suit. If you get just the pants, they kinda look like khaki cargo pants.

FireFighter Protective Clothing, Fire Rated Clothing, FR Clothing | DRIFIRE (http://www.drifire.com/industrial/fire)
DRIFIRE All-Weather 2-piece Flight Suit, Military Flight Suits | DRIFIRE (http://www.drifire.com/navair-2-piece-flight-suit)

Also, have a look at companies that make apparel for racecar drivers, there are lots of Nomex underwear products out there.
Under Armour makes some fire resistant clothing as well, it isn't nomex but modacrylic, which is also flame resistant.
Men's Fire Retardant MOD Longsleeve T | 1216034 | Under Armour US (http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens-fire-retardent-mod-longsleeve-t/pid1216034-390)

zondaracer
2nd Aug 2012, 21:44
I guess where the ridicule comes from for guys wearing the pickle suit is the image of "wannabe military pilot".

http://www.flighthelmet.com/support/custpic/cphotos/cust-captalicea.jpg
But nothing wrong with that I guess, hehe