PDA

View Full Version : How can an American flight instruct in Germany (or Europe) or Australia?

Zero Sky
31st Jul 2012, 01:35
Hi there

This is my first post and I'm not quite sure if this is the right forum, but here it goes! I'm currently holding a commercial MEL and I'm soon to go after my CFI+CFII in a few months. I'm an American living in America with an American citizenship and I'd like to flight instruct abroad for a few years while I'm still young. I'm interested in Germany, or any other European country if Germany won't work, or Australia. How can I go about doing so? Would I have to do my CFI training in that European or Australian country where I'd want to work? How can I make this happen?!

Thanks so much :)

BigGrecian
1st Aug 2012, 00:19
In theory sounds good.
In Practise not so.

Your going against the immigration gradient. It is normal for Europeans to come to America to gain experience as an instructor not the other way round.

Do you have the right work on Europe already?

If no - then you won't get it as an instructor -there are hundreds of unemployed instructors in Europe!

You could instruct on a US registered aircraft in Europe, however to instruct on an EASA registered aircraft you would need an EASA licence and an EASA flight instructor(FI) rating. There is no conversion from the FAA CFI to EASA FI and rightly so - they are polar opposites in approach.

If you wanted to do your training in the US there is only one EASA FI school in the USA and the course is over $10,000 including accommodation. Before that you'd need the ATPL theory say $10,000-$12,000 including accommodation for 6 months plus the CPL conversion say $4,000 or so. Total around $25,000 by the time your qualified, but then you don't have the right to work there so why bother? Also why would you want to - there's a reason a huge percentage of EASA training is conducted in the USA - the weather isn't consistent enough in Europe so you just won't be able to make ends meet hence why there are so many Europeans instructing in the USA!

However, if you meet a cute European to marry and want to live there why not ;-)

Zero Sky
1st Aug 2012, 00:37
well then.. that sounds like no fun :( Sounds a bit pricey for me! I just want to live somewhere else for a while while I'm young, like I said earlier. What about Australia? Practical? Good weather, jobs for instructors?

whiskey1
1st Aug 2012, 08:33
To work in USA I would need a Green Card.
Same for you if you want to work in Europe or Australia (Or at least the equivalent at Visa).
You might qualify for a working Holiday visa for Australia.
To convert your licence you need to pass the CPL Air law exam a CPL flight test and then an Instructor Rating Flight test.
All for 12 months temporary employment. Oh and with Two seperate employers minimum if I Remember Correctly.

B2N2
1st Aug 2012, 15:34
I think Europe is pretty much out of the question.
Your best bet would be the Middle East or far East.
A couple of years ago flight schools in Saudi Arabia and Jordan were looking for flight instructors (FAA).
In China PanAm was looking for instructors for the Diamond academy in Shengzou(?).
Try posting this question on Jetcareers.com or flightinfo.com

Found something for you, Chief Flight Instructor but at least it gives you the contact info:
Aviation Jobs :: CHIEF FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR (SAUDI ARABIA) (http://www.avianation.com/aviation_jobs/jobDetail.cfm?jobID=8139480768)
Maybe contact one of these guys:
FAA Flight Instructors in Thailand (http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/linkfaaflightinstructor.html)

zondaracer
1st Aug 2012, 17:55
A University in South Korea occasionally hires native English speaker flight instructors (FAA ratings), so keep your eyes peeled.

Like everyone else said, Europe is near impossible without a European passport or marrying someone who has one.

stillpilot
30th Oct 2012, 22:08
Hello, you won't need any work permit if you are under 30 years old to work in Australia(1years) and they need there CFI.
Check on the Australia imigration website for aplication process
good luck!

tarmac12
31st Oct 2012, 02:00
Stillpilot,

I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself.

If you turn up at an immigration desk in Australia and say your going to work and you don't have a valid work visa you will be put straight back on the plane and sent home!

MartinCh
31st Oct 2012, 02:35
T12, SP meant 'Working Holiday Visa' either subclass 417 or 462.
Difference is in the 'group' of states with reciprocal agreements and conditions/restrictions.

WRT to WHV and 'skilled job', Schedule 2 in Consolidated SOL (former regional employer sponsored migration stream) has pilots and instructors as skilled jobs.

So, work visa or permit, very similar stuff for joe public. Just like 'entry visa' vs legal status once in the country, as it may differ (e.g. USA).