PDA

View Full Version : Finding a flight school with helicopters to accomodate larger men

OtisB
30th Jul 2012, 13:54
I have been searching for a flight school that has larger helicopters for training for my private and eventually commercial license. :ugh: Does anyone know of any respected schools that have helicopters that can accomodate a 6'6" 300 lb. man? What helicopter should I be searching for in the schools fleet? Any other suggestions on searching for a good school would be appreciated as well.

Wirbelsturm
1st Aug 2012, 09:19
OtisB,

Not wishing to be unhelpful but you will be struggling on anything less than a Gas Turbine/R44 really. Both the Schweizer and the Robbo R22 will struggle with yourself AND an instructor, especially taking ambient conditions into account.

A Jetranger or Hughes 500 wouldn't have too much trouble but then you are looking at prohibitive costings. I'm not too sure about the R44, that would certainly be worth looking at, although I have seen minimum hours restrictions place on it in may places. The R66 might be worth investigating as well.

Always remember that you will need to factor in your weight, the instructors weight and environmental aspects to ascertain if something is going to be suitable. Remeber that you can shorten the sortie length to lower the fuel weight as well! Pick somewhere with a low altitude in a cold country!!!

Good luck!

(6'4" 220lbs struggles to fit in a hover mower (R22))

Senior Pilot
1st Aug 2012, 09:38
OtisB,

Where do you want to operate? I'd suggest asking this over on Rotorheads where there is a wealth of knowledge about things rotary :ok: