PDA

View Full Version : HELP!: Overhead Luggage

limesoda
29th Jul 2012, 22:36
Hello,

So to cut a long story short i am flying with BA tomorrow down to Malaga to a longboard competition and my enquiry is about whether BA will allow me to take my board (no wheels, trucks etc) on as hand luggage.

I have a skate specific bag and the board straps to my back and will be attached to me at all times.
BA over head dimensions say to be within = 56 by 45 by 22cm.
My board is 103 by 22 by 1cm so although its lengthy, it really isn't bulky! It should fit in no problem, its just whether BA will have something to say!:ugh:

Feedback is needed and much appreciated!!!
Sorry if i commented in the wrong forum, there wasn't anything specific!

Hartington
29th Jul 2012, 22:45
It's probably going to be the luck of the draw. Get a nice person at checkin and again at security and again at the gate and you'll be OK. If any one of those 3 is having a bad day you could be refused. Allow time for having to go back at least one step in the chain just in case.

PAXboy
29th Jul 2012, 22:56
Tell them you're an Olympian dashing off for extra coaching. ;) :ok:

Overall, expect it to be taken off you at some point, if onoy at the steps and put in the hold. Also, it will depend on how busy the flight is,time of day, how many secotrs the cabin crew have had and what happened to them on those earlier sectors! :mad:

limesoda
29th Jul 2012, 22:58
Ahh cheers guys! I guess i'm going to have to put on a big smile! Well i have a sponsership deal if you think that would be worth mentioning to them?
The flight is departing at 6 from Gatwick :)

Hartington
30th Jul 2012, 08:30
Probably only if BA is your sponsor and even then I'd be careful how you do it. You don't want to appear demanding in any way. But discreet can work, I remember bringing a bike back from the USA and on a domestic flight there the checkin clerk was going to charge me a fee for the bike until I discreetly showed my pass (I was employed by a different airline) and asked if she could waive the fee and she did.

starbag
30th Jul 2012, 18:49
Although it is thin, it will take up a whole overhead locker, using the space allocated to 5 other passengers. I would imagine that even if you checked in online and headed directly to the gate, the gate staff would take it off you. I would ensure that it is securely packed so as to survive being thrown around the baggage system, as the Gatwick ground staff are pretty hot on cabin baggage, and now we are into school holidays, flights will be packed to the rafters.

jackieofalltrades
31st Jul 2012, 15:50
I saw somebody with a longboard carrying it off the plane last week. But, like has been said, it really is luck of the draw with check-in, security and boarding.
Good luck!